_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

no not really, (its good exercise)  I've been hand splitting since i was 15 years old (off and on) the worst to mual / wedge split, has to be elm, or bodark. (locust) ....i use this fiskars axe now (pic)  how do you split yours ? 

image.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TBRider said:

Went for a spin on the bike today, beaver dams have about a foot of ice now so I can go and get the trees from the middle, dry as a bone bark fallen off, gives amazing heat, from standing to the stove in under an hour.....

20210123_153949.jpg

I came across some beaver chew a few years back. Birch, was great stuff.

22 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no not really, (its good exercise)  I've been hand splitting since i was 15 years old (off and on) the worst to mual / wedge split, has to be elm, or bodark. (locust) ....i use this fiskars axe now (pic)  how do you split yours ? 

image.jpg

I split with maul and wedges too. Try to get birch mostly and sprinkle in some spruce. The twisted birch and knotty spruce are tough to split. 

I was probably 12 when I started splitting. My old man was a logger in western WA. He'd bring a dump truck load of doug fir logs home, dump them in the yard, then buck them into 2 to 3 foot rounds. Pointed to me and said there's your job. Lots of wedging back then.

• Like 1

i still have the wedges as a backup, but between this beast (pic) and the x-27 fiskars, i hardly ever use the wedges, best investment I've made, how ever, i would like to try the chopper axe .... @Fishfiles told me about those bad boys. i go for downed trees ... and leave the healthy trees standing, i burn just about any species ...  except pine, cotton wood, and cedar. bodark trees all plentiful here, and not wanted, so those are the top of the list. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tim-ANC said:

then buck them into 2 to 3 foot rounds.

i always short cut the larger diameter trees, makes loading hand splitting  easier, plus burns equally well, then having large chunks to load,NAND burn un evenly both of these loads i did with the fiskars x-27. 

be sure to post more pics of your setup ---- tools, saws, etc. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

image.png

The Chopper I came in a wooden handle  or a synthetic handle , cool tool , I have had mine since the very early 80s with the synthetic handle , used it  two weekends ago  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chopper-1-Axe-Mechanical-Splitting-Axe-Maul-Beautifully-Restored-Excellent-NR/124540731610?hash=item1cff34c0da:g:PuEAAOSwkydgC0eP

• Like 2

I blew out my left knee picking up green oak rounds that were too large for my old body.  I did that 5 weeks ago.  It has very very slowly gotten better.  Finally I can kind of go up stairs in the normal way instead of having to put both feet on each step but still can't go down them normally.  It has gotten a fair amount of ultasonic therapy.  I'm hoping it will be well in another few weeks.

I say all of that to say this, be careful guys.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Birthday gift from the wife. Looks like I'll be givin' er a work out one of these days...

FISKARS.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

i hear you, some might recall, i had back issues from lifting some really heavy logs ... a few days i was on my knees ... caused by some of these downed trees due to an over night severes storm. hope you get better soon, slowin. 

sled... you won't be disappointed, just watch your fingers, i almost lost my right index finger, by mine, i got in too big of a hurry... lol, those axes are razor sharp!!! 

image.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/22/2021 at 9:28 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

i go through so much it doesn't really have too much time to age ... so covered storage isn't really on the list. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That last pic looks familiar! 

• Like 1

your right! it's not mine. i  saved a bunch of pics from the old forums, but my sledge hammer doesnt look like, that, my apologies ... for posting jeeps pic ... my wedges are red, but i used a mintcraft mual hammer. credit for the that pic goes to jeep. glad you posted about! if a man doesn't have honesty ... he doesn't have much. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Well it's a good "example" pic of splitting wood.

Dad has a nice splitter for the 3 point hitch on the tractor, but he can't find the control box, so he gave me those two wedges, a couple of rough hewn dogwood wood wedges, and that nice taped up sledge, to do TWO  trees, both 100 year old River Oaks.

It was a good workout, that's for sure.

• Like 2

yeah, i recall that post, so your father still hasn't turned you loose with the wood splitter ?..... i kind  of got a laugh out of it, mines the sameway with some of his items..one guy who rents 170 acres (Dennis's) doctor told him, hand spilling was real good exercise.... and it sure looks like that was a good work out! I'd also like to mention, i got the idea for painting my wedges red from your post. 

15 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah, i recall that post, so your father still hasn't turned you loose with the wood splitter ?..... i kind  of got a laugh out of it, mines the sameway with some of his items..one guy who rents 170 acres (Dennis's) doctor told him, hand spilling was real good exercise.... and it sure looks like that was a good work out! I'd also like to mention, i got the idea for painting my wedges red from your post. 

They were still pretty new when I took that pic.  Both were severely mushroomed and the paint gone by the time I finished.  I do need to clean up that schrooming and paint them again as they can be hard to find where I split wood if one of them goes zinging off.

And no, he hasn't ever looked for the splitter components.  If I'm lucky I'll be able to put it together for my kids to use someday.

• Like 2

oh yeah... that's why i painted mine, ... one went flying off, I'd say about 50 foot... if wasn't for the red paint it's doubtful i would ever located it. back when i 1st started...  my friend Gus (old truck driver) and i scored a load of elm on our land, i started splitting, with his only wedge, and got it good and stuck, (being i was a noob)  ...  his cure was to just toss the log in the furness, and get the wedge the next day... there's always more then one way to skin a cat, he gave me that wedge .. which i still have to this day, but i never use it.. i lost a good friend, when he passed away, he never had much, so did what  we could, and, had him over for supper and holidays all the time. manys a day (he, and i) we just work on his semi..... that was many years ago, i reckon i had to be about 12, maybe 13, i was more intrested in the semi, then wood splitting firewood. 

• Like 1

Good stuff guys.

What makes the Fisker's maul better than regular ones?

How does the mechanism on the Chopper ax work?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

Good stuff guys.

What makes the Fisker's maul better than regular ones?

How does the mechanism on the Chopper ax work?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

for the fiskars ... a light axe, longer swing, and razor sharp narrow head, along with a very smooth finished head,  I'll hand the chopper axe to fish, I've as, never used one. 

• Like 2

That second vid was a great review. I use the 8 pound maul primarily with some smaller axes my kids use. Being 6-0, that X27 Sled has looks like something I need add to my collection.

• Like 2

Yup I just got inside from testing it out. Pretty sweet swinging axe. Busted up like a dozen rounds and made a pile of wood in about 10 minutes. I could use my maul but my elbows were starting to hurt from swinging the 8.5 lb maul. If I picked up a piece of wood with either arm extends my elbows burned. I think it’s like tennis elbow to the extreme. But my elbows don’t hurt at all right now. 
mine thing I’m skeptical of is the handle. I don’t like the hook end of the handle. I’m gonna need some hockey tape to wrap that up to more of my liking. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

That second vid was a great review. I use the 8 pound maul primarily with some smaller axes my kids use. Being 6-0, that X27 Sled has looks like something I need add to my collection.

Yeah I’m 6’3” and need a long handle. It helps a lot. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i went with the x-27 longer handle for more momentum, i think jeep has the fiskars splitting maul ? 

image.jpg

I did get the maul too.  Don't like it.  I use the x27 to split smaller chunks, and I still go back to the wedges and sledge to break up the big rounds.

Both the x27 and the wedges/ sledge hammer are easier to use and split better than that heavy maul.

• Like 1