_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

I did the same thing a couple times.  Biggest problem I had was catching the end of the blade in another log and kicking it up.  Guess you could just roll them down to get at them easier but that would have been too much work.....lol

• Like 2

i have done that, just not stacked as high, lol. nice score! was this hauled in or did you bring it it your self ? i cut on the ends where logs were sticking out to lesson the weight, then rolled them, some i just drug out, a bit, then sawed, rinse,and repeat,  Bcs ... is right, it's gets old real fast.

I just cut them as is for the most part, climb on the pile, start at the top and work my way down. I'm totally shocked that the truck driver came down the driveway, bought it all off a guy, $2,000 for 15 chord delivered,  semi had about an hr drive from where it was cut.

Got another 4 chord or so on the other side of the yard to cut up also, so I have about 20 chord here.....

• Like 5

yep that's how i cut mine from the top of the pile with saw angle down, never had much issue with kick back, but i kinda combine plunge cutting with this method at times, sawing at the highest point with the saw flat, at the end of the pile just to catch the highest log, and go from there . 

• Like 3

Yea there are a few sticks of white birch in the pile, I prefer yellow birch over the white, what conifer you mean, there are jack pines and spruce, the big one is a pine, not sure, don't know my trees that well....lol

• Like 1

Oh damm TB, don't burn it to you know what it is 🤭

Edited by Tim-ANC

8 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

Oh damm TB, don't burn it to you know what it is 🤭

I'm sure there has been some birds eye maple gone into my stove....

And I'll burn anything that fits into the stove....

• Like 3

even green pine, and Cotton wood  ? cause, i can't burn ether of species in my setup, has a habit of going out during the sleep mode so this load of cottonwood had to be mixed with other types. 

image.jpg

• Like 5

Don't have cotton wood here, but I will burn pine, spruce, cedar, it all burns in my stoves....lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

Don't have cotton wood here, but I will burn pine, spruce, cedar, it all burns in my stoves....lol

Yea i'm the same. Free wood is free wood to me. I clean my chimney every year anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Yea i'm the same. Free wood is free wood to me. I clean my chimney every year anyway.

I have a brick and mortar chimney with 2 ss inserts 6"ers and a 7" ss insulated pipe in the center of the one house, I have to get up this year and clean them, haven't done it in about 5 years atleast, I just empty the clean out....

• Like 2

Lots of cottonwood here. I'll burn it, but don't target it. Go for birch and spruce. Alder for smoking fish.

20200425_054945.jpg

• Like 1

have a bunch here to just can't use it with a cycling (forced air blower) wood boiler or it has to mixed with other types of wood, cotton wood just never seems to dry enough, to use it , and sap green pine is even worse i learned that lesson the hard way, on one morning the furness went out, so i had unload all the wood, and start the fire all over again, so cotton wood, and green pine i stay clear of. even people with fire places won't use it around here, oak, maple, and hickory. bodark are the favored wood to burn, puts off great heat, and burns for along time. plus there just not wanted around because there so hard to control most farms that have been taken over have to bull dozered off, but if the root system remains, they will come right back. 

Had an old oil drum out in the back 40, decided to make a little wood sleigh.....

Just a start, needs a bit of modifications but its a good start, and the price was right on materials......

IMG_20210315_195124_282.jpg

• Like 9

Well crap, against my instincts, I put a leaky drum out on the curb a few weeks ago.  Now I see I should have kept it.....

• Like 3

Wood Pile 2.jpg

Wood Pile 3.jpg

Wood Pile 1.jpg

Was busy today, pics dont do justice more than it looks like...

• Like 8

Has anyone made their own wood heat stove? i got some ideals.

7 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Has anyone made their own wood heat stove? i got some ideals.

My grandfather made a few back in the 70's but now they have to be certified for insurance purposes, not hard to do, just need thick steel.

• Like 1

we had a few people build by some here just for shop use, but never had them certified, but most went for the older cast iron classic burners, i missed out on a few we used in tobacco stripping rooms, farm insurance covered those type buildings, well, did for those who  had it, most didnt back in the day, now most of those barns have ether fallen, or have been torn down for the lumber. 

I guess this is double posted but made firewood with my grandparents today and cutting down dead ash in their yard. 

77DBA76B-FA43-4F30-A8CA-B8F284180F97.jpeg

28A7C098-0593-4546-BF13-71A47F334603.jpeg

• Like 6

Gee sled could you get anymore on that poor trailer....lol

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Gee sled could you get anymore on that poor trailer....lol

THose are two different trailers. 🙂 check out the tires. We filled three manure spreaders today. 

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1