_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

22 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've done the whole "hook a rope/winch cable to it and it will fall the way I want"  I've luckily never had one fall on a house or on me, but it only took one time to learn that that rope or cable isn't going to steer that tree the tiniest little bit.  It's going down and that rope/cable isn't going to change it one bit.

wellllllllllll...I have to beg to differ here !. I had one tree down at my cabin, it musta got struck my lighting I guess ?, it went dead, was up hill about 6-7ft from the corner of my front porch. my bud looked at me, said '' i'm gonna let you cut that one down ''. I said..well, I got a plan !..lol. I had my '89 trx350D foreman with me, 2500 lb winch, logging chain, 300 ft of high grade rope, and a snatch block. the plan !, get as high as I could in the tree, tie it off, go down hill, more or less right in front of my porch, put a tree saver strap around a large oak tree, attached snatch block, ran rope off at about 45 degree's away from it, had my atv chained to another large oak tree on the hitch ball, bud worked the winch, as I was making the cut, I was using my hand to signal him to work the winch to pull it down as I made the cut, and it fell right where I wanted it to !. plan, plan..and plan more, and most times it ends well. unlike that dummy on a ladder ^^^^, making a cut BELOW HIS LADDER...THATS LEANING ON THE SAME TREE !!!..LOL.

• Like 4

@Fishfiles A while back you had asked me did that fiskars sharpener work, (i think it was in mybb) cuz I've looked everywhere for that post.... Anyways ... To answer your question YES! It works like a charm! And fast! I have both the fiskars axe, and x27 splitting axe razor sharp! this pic shows one draw on my arm, it had no problem knocking the hair off! 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics fish..... I've heard of those turner plus 2 desk mics..... I always used ether hand held mics road king, (made by turner) or astatic hand held noise canceling mics, they are very good mics, but with my new hand held radios ..... They're not compatible , and I've never seen a realistic power supply like that one, but from the looks it's doesnt have variable out put, if i was you..... And that power supply works, I'd see what he's asking, you might get a deal on it ???

image.jpg

image.jpg

Troybuilt splitter : some are going to frown upon this , but I bought a knock off carb for the Honda engine  and it arrived Saturday , not much money risked , for $15.99 with shipping , they sent me a carb , 3 gaskets , fuel hose with spring clamps , a fuel filter , a spark plug and an air filter -----I don't know how they can do it so cheap , I know what most will say , " cause it is junk " and "sweat shop labor " ----- we will see 

• Sad 1

Wilson , your Astatic mic is super clean compared to this one the guy has for sale ---- I have a pic of the entire mic , but it is in a video , real old school stuff , looks like a mic on the stage for musicians but it is a CB mic I am pretty sure ---- I love hitting the flea market and pawn shops , they are about to open a big indoors flea market in Slidell , can't wait ----- 

fullsizeoutput_b0c.jpeg

You bout a kick off carb ???? Man alive shade will hit the ceiling haha! (I had a good chuckle on that one) 

oh i don't have that setup anymore, a friend of mine has it..... In storage ..... The setup was a galaxy 99v conversation ... With a Texas star 667v amp cranking out close 650 watts .... On am, and 700 plus on side band.... I had some fum with it... Even got to shoot skip with art bell ..... That was wild....  He sure is a nice guy! 

• Like 1

As some of you know had some health issues a while back, but I'm getting better.... So i pushed it today..... Short sawed some yellow birch, loaded and hauled up a load (planing on heading back TM) my pile isn't a large as I'd like ..... So YES I'm thankfull for this rare warm weather here's the load (unloaded now) I've got everything ready to go for TM..... I touched up then chain....and . @bcsman here's that bar pinching hackberry .... The pic was taken right at my yard fence.... So it's not all that far away, also....also...  Here's that lawn trailer.

I had to high cut this one because of grown in wire.... But that stump is going to have to go! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

_Wilson_  . . . . what species of tree is your firewood?  I'm a retired logger and I like to see what other folks are burning.  🌲

• Like 1

That load is yellow birch..... From last year, when a storm blew in....and took her down,  Here's a couple days right after the mess. The other pic ^^ is a green hackberry ....  Baisically that furness will eat anything, except green sap filled pine.... , i haven't tried  too much cedar, (rare around here)  but! What little  i have gotten burns well, even when the furness blower cycles off, there's still enough auto air draft to keep a bed of coals....with cedar other species include  Oak, walnut, locus .... I've tried Cotten wood, that had to be almost as bad about going out as green  pine (a complete waist of time) bodock is good..... But very hard  to deal with.... actually they take too much time time to de limb.

locus would have to top in my book.... But very rare nowa days...... I burn mostly oak, hackberry , and crooked wallnut trees (i lieve the straight walnut trees standing ) <<<$$$ 

ill take about .....  any blow downs except Cotten wood,and green pine. 

image.jpg

• Like 4

That don't look like any yellow birch I've ever seen, I'll get out and take a few pics of our yellow birch tomorrow

I tried to edit the post ..... I also burn maple, and cherry ...

that one was the 1st one  i ever delt with, Dennis cut some on it to get in, (he has the same outside wood boiler setup as i do) and told me it was a yellow birch, i personaly dont know what it is,  I'll be sure to ask him again.

• Like 1

Just wait until you see my pic tomorrow, I'll have white and yellow birch photos.

• Like 2

Here's a few pics not sure how good you can see them, but I'll put the white birch first, then there are 3 yellow birch in the next pic, then the last will be of the yb in my wood pile at home. Birch has a paper like skin, great for fire starter.the last pic is some of the dry hardwood I get from on the beaver dams here.

IMG_20191228_125227.jpg

IMG_20191228_130055.jpg

IMG_20191228_142356.jpg

IMG_20191228_124338.jpg

• Like 3

Pics look great! It defiantly doesn't look like that iload i had yesterday,  because i have burned that species before, hm........ I'll have talk to Dennis about that ...... Lol ........ What ever species I had loaded yesterday t's extremely hard! I cut another load today, and by the time i was done.... I had to re sharpen the chain.... Lol ..... I'll post a pic in my album soon, thanks for the pics TBrider keep them coming 🙂

• Like 1

After doing  some research.....  I believe that blow down from last year is a beech tree ..... (No idea why Dennis thought it was a yellow birch.....

1st pic is a online snag..... 2nd is mine..... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, TBRider said:

Here's a few pics not sure how good you can see them, but I'll put the white birch first, then there are 3 yellow birch in the next pic, then the last will be of the yb in my wood pile at home. Birch has a paper like skin, great for fire starter.the last pic is some of the dry hardwood I get from on the beaver dams here.

IMG_20191228_125227.jpg

The White-tail in the background looks good. Same white birch we have here in BC.  See some type of spruce ? also.  No snow here yet.

• Haha 1

I don't see a white tail, yea we have lots of spruse and pine here, juniper as well, I have a bit of beech wood in the pile as well as some oak and rock maple

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TBRider said:

I don't see a white tail, yea we have lots of spruse and pine here, juniper as well, I have a bit of beech wood in the pile as well as some oak and rock maple

Messin' with ya' . . . . . 😉  !

• Like 2

A couple days back ...... It was warm out...., so i had not been using the hardy outside boiler.... Being. The weather front would eventually push over the country, and temps would most defiantly plummet .... It was time to bring it back to life.... WHILE the water temp was in the 70 o F  range..... so I took the back access panel off to zoom lube the blower fan bearings, and check the hinge points, after a good going over.... I put the power back to it, the auto fill and fan kicked on (like normal) the auto fill shut down a few seconds, then i noticed the damper stop arm had broke off and the damper flipped completely over (LUCKY CATCH) if this had happened while i was away ..... The furness would have air drafted, and boiled completely dry! Luckily .... I had saved the old dead blower fan in hopes of rebuilding it, but dayton ..... Doesn't keep said bushings  ....i had no luck at finding any....  @retro and i had talked over rebuilding that old blower unit a while back.... But like i stated... Those bushings were NOT to be found.... Anyways ...... I took the new broken housing off , swopped it with the old housing .... Added the silicon sealant ..... Let it cure up, and I'm back up running again, @Fishfiles  Mentioned ..... Taking the new broken housing and welding it back up, and keeping it as a spare... ..... I said absolutely .... Lol told him this was INDEED a luckey catch (i there at the right time) because this could ended up costing in the thousands .... I called my dealer (Sam bass).... And Asked him if he ever heard of this issue, he told me no!  and asked me to text him some pics, and he would contact hardey.... He also informed me, i might be getting a brand new complete blower $170 +- for free 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have much experience in heater blowers like you got  , it is hard for me to visualize how it all goes together and what actually broke ----now if you were to take the turbo off  diesel and rig it up maybe I could be of more help , LOL ----but all laughing aside , if you were to have a heavy duty turbo spinning off an electric motor , would that be heavier duty 

• Confused 1

I am about to go do some wood work , going to put me a new Chinese High Performance carb on my splitter and split some wood for tonight , it runs on choke now like it is , have cleaned the carb already a few times and the housing  is pitted up bad , maybe I should split some wood with the carb on choke before I change carb , cause it might not run at all after wards 

• Confused 1

you got some gizmos in that control box , are you well versed in how it all works , trouble shooting it and have some spare parts /  what is the thingy on the left top , valve with a lot of wires going into it ?