_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

Here’s a video of us taking down a hard back leaning ash tree. It would have taken 5 wedges stacked to get it to tip the way we want. This, the Farmall M and some guide wire did the trick. Maybe the sawman helped too. Enjoy. 

• Like 6

I wonder why your video is age restricted...

May be a couple of terms in the title: “dropping back” or “leaning ash” lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got some free fire wood this weekend , it  is already cut , got 8 loads in the golf cart , with some more to come this week ,  gum and talo tree , it will be great for the outside fire pit this coming fall 

cFTYc%sXSI6OTd1HvBkoRg.jpg

• Like 7

On 4/11/2021 at 8:34 PM, sled_22 said:

Here’s a video of us taking down a hard back leaning ash tree. It would have taken 5 wedges stacked to get it to tip the way we want. This, the Farmall M and some guide wire did the trick. Maybe the sawman helped too. Enjoy. 

Kind of close to the tractor !!!

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Kind of close to the tractor !!!

we "strategerized" the length needed.

• Like 1

sled_22

we "strategerized" the length needed.

Might want to  "strategerized" two  more feet next time !!!  ---  LOL 

4coZddw4RJ6DQUR%czM1Og.jpg

• Haha 2

Fish that pile of wood plus the rest you are getting should give you some good fires to enjoy......

• Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 9:37 PM, slowindown said:

I wonder why your video is age restricted...

May be a couple of terms in the title: “dropping back” or “leaning ash” lol 

I appealed that age restriction a while back and after review, youtube lifted the age restriction. I was kind of surprised. I figured they'd just shut down my channel since I wanted an appeal.

• Like 2

Finished getting the scrap oak today, just down the road here, & yesterday got my 2nd load of wood for next winter.

wood ken.jpg

oak road.jpg

• Like 6

I wouldn't trust my wife to pull me like that , she'ed " skull drag " me ( bike upside down on top of me , with my head dragging the dirt and keep on going wide open ) !!! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I wouldn't trust my wife to pull me like that , she'ed " skull drag " me ( bike upside down on top of me , with my head dragging the dirt and keep on going wide open ) !!! 

hill is steep enough If I let off the gas its stops her right now.  Hard to judged by the video but with the trailer level full or better I have no chance of making the climb up the hill,

Just to many small rocks that act like marbles when going up and they each take some of your momentum and I end up spining out in 1st gear.  I don't have the power to make the climb in 2nd and there are washout speed bumps at the run up to the hill that I can't get a high speed run at it in say 3rd gear or even 2nd gear Wide open throttle.

I have tried 2nd gear wide open at the bottom and by 1/2 way up I'm down shifting to 1st and then spin out.  and stuck middle of the hill.  

This has worked the best or I only load 1/2 to 3/4 of trailer of wood to bring up. if I'm by myself.  

I would like to get a Honda Rubicon 500 and find out what it can due for this hill climb with the trailer of wood behind it.  Heck even a Foreman 500 with the Locking front diff as well. For now I have the 450 Foreman and it is a brute just not enough to make this on its own. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Finished getting the scrap oak today, just down the road here, & yesterday got my 2nd load of wood for next winter.

wood ken.jpg

oak road.jpg

Mine is coming along, got a load of cedar for kindling, must be a chord of cedar, doubt I'll run out of wood this winter....

20210526_110746.jpg

20210425_125935.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

hill is steep enough If I let off the gas its stops her right now.  Hard to judged by the video but with the trailer level full or better I have no chance of making the climb up the hill,

Just to many small rocks that act like marbles when going up and they each take some of your momentum and I end up spining out in 1st gear.  I don't have the power to make the climb in 2nd and there are washout speed bumps at the run up to the hill that I can't get a high speed run at it in say 3rd gear or even 2nd gear Wide open throttle.

I have tried 2nd gear wide open at the bottom and by 1/2 way up I'm down shifting to 1st and then spin out.  and stuck middle of the hill.  

This has worked the best or I only load 1/2 to 3/4 of trailer of wood to bring up. if I'm by myself.  

I would like to get a Honda Rubicon 500 and find out what it can due for this hill climb with the trailer of wood behind it.  Heck even a Foreman 500 with the Locking front diff as well. For now I have the 450 Foreman and it is a brute just not enough to make this on its own. 

When I loaded my trailer with wood this spring, my front tires would almost come off the ground from the weight of the load, I was more concerned with either wearing out my clutch or shearing an axle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

I wonder if gear reduction would help you , I have 2 - 450s , both with gear reduction , each a different ratio , one is 14.5%  and the other is 34.5%----  also as far as traction lock in the front , you can add a couple of shims #28 in this print , it won't be a 100% locker , but will grab more 

image.png

Fishfiles all good idea's,  I have thought about a gear reduction for the old foreman but I'm not for sure if It would get me up the hill any better,  I can spin myself out in 1st gear no problem as the ATV just dosn't weigh enough.  I have loaded the rear rack up with block wood to get me some weight on the rear tires and still spin it out at a mid hill,  its the first 20 seconds is the killer part of the hill after that I can scratch and claw the rest of it but that first section has alway's been a bear to get up.  The 589 tire don't like the small rocks but they are great when I'm in woods pulling logs with the Logging arch on the back.  Plus they dont puncture at all so I can drive right threw brush without any worries.  

Im in a no man's land not enough power in 2nd and can't go fast enough in 1st.  I would like to try different tires maybe Big Horns would due better but I like the looks of the 589's and they don't wear down at all.  Plus due I want to put $ into a almost 20 year old ATV or save up and buy something Bigger and better?  Foreman 500 with Power Steering and Diff Lock would make this hill with out problems with the trailer behind it.  I could then just use this old foreman as the log puller.  I know I loose some pulling power by having the trailer hooked to the logging arch farther behind the quad but that trailer is balanced and I can hook it up when loaded which is nice.  I can head out early and start cutting up wood for a trailer load and when I get full I can either go ride around till the wife gets there to pull me up the hill.  This way I get some ride time in!

• Like 2

I think that 450 will pull anything a 500 will pull.  A front diff lock might help, but it sounds like weight is the problem, not power.  If you're spinning tires on a 450, you'll be spinning tires on a bigger machine.

• Like 2

Its a moot point for now I'll keep running the setup that I have,  I just know my limits of what I can make up the hill,  If I wanted to haul more I'd take my 78 Ford F150 down there and fill the back up and go up that hill with out any problems.  Id rather load my little ATV trailer 3-5 times vs the truck 1 time.  It gets me more seat time on the ATV and the trailer is easier to unload as well.   The truck take forever to get full and then a long time to unload as well.  I save that for when I have to move the firewood down the paved roads.  I have other area's where I get wood from and the trailer gets heaped full and have no problems going where I want to its just coming up this hill that I run into problems.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I think that 450 will pull anything a 500 will pull.  A front diff lock might help, but it sounds like weight is the problem, not power.  If you're spinning tires on a 450, you'll be spinning tires on a bigger machine.

I thought I had read someplace that the newer 500 foremans vs the older 450 is like the step up from a Honda Rancher 350 to a Foreman 450 in brute pulling power.

I don't have the extra $10,000.oo to go and get a New foreman regard less.  At my usage rate the old 450 will last me for many years this foreman only has like 3,500 miles and still going strong and foremans if treated right can go up to 10,000 miles from what I have read.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

• Like 1

I haven't ridden a lot of 450's, but from what I have, the difference is negligible.

The "500" is actually a 475, and honestly when you get into these single cylinder Honda engines, it takes a LOT of CC's to make much of a difference in perceivable power.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sublime68charger said:

I thought I had read someplace that the newer 500 foremans vs the older 450 is like the step up from a Honda Rancher 350 to a Foreman 450 in brute pulling power.

I don't have the extra $10,000.oo to go and get a New foreman regard less.  At my usage rate the old 450 will last me for many years this foreman only has like 3,500 miles and still going strong and foremans if treated right can go up to 10,000 miles from what I have read.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

You could always put a front hitch on, flip flop your tires side to side, and go up the hill in reverse.  🙂 

Kidding aside, if it were me, I'd just take smaller loads like you've been doing.

OR!?! you could modify your trailer? get a rubber wheel mounted to some type of jack stand that swivels? of course then you'll loose your hitch weight and probably spin even worse.

I'd say just keep on keepin' on.

Looking back at your other pictures...

What's that contraption mounted on wheels to the back of your quad? A log skidder with a winch? It kind of looks like that's creating a moment arm to your rear axle. Do you think that's actually taking the weight of the trailer tongue and picking up the back of the four wheeler? I'd be interested in seeing a better picture looking at that setup. Not only for your weight distribution ideas but for my own log skidder fabrication.

Good day.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

You could always put a front hitch on, flip flop your tires side to side, and go up the hill in reverse.  🙂 

Kidding aside, if it were me, I'd just take smaller loads like you've been doing.

OR!?! you could modify your trailer? get a rubber wheel mounted to some type of jack stand that swivels? of course then you'll loose your hitch weight and probably spin even worse.

I'd say just keep on keepin' on.

Looking back at your other pictures...

What's that contraption mounted on wheels to the back of your quad? A log skidder with a winch? It kind of looks like that's creating a moment arm to your rear axle. Do you think that's actually taking the weight of the trailer tongue and picking up the back of the four wheeler? I'd be interested in seeing a better picture looking at that setup. Not only for your weight distribution ideas but for my own log skidder fabrication.

Good day.

on the back a have a Logging arch that is on 3 point system on the ATV the logging arch wheels float up/down.  More Arch Build and pictures are here https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/the-start-of-my-atv-logging-arch.294895/ 

This trailer the axle is balanced that is why I use this trailer behind the ATV with skidder as I can get it hooked up when loaded. I have a firewood cutting deck that I skid the logs to and then block them up and split then load trailer and up the hill I go.  I like this trailer as I can part next to fire wood cutting deck and skid logs cut them up load/split until trailer is full and then take to wood shed to stack till it gets put into the boiler.

Pic of a firewood cutting deck

I have another trailer just a bit bigger and its heavy on the front when loaded and I with just the ATV and no logging arch I still dont make the hill unless its loaded light.  

firewood deck.jpg

• Like 3

also pic of my other atv firewood trailer and ATV and this trailer level loaded I dont make the hill either.  

its just know the limits of how much to load to make the hill when by your self,  Heck I just used my 300 4x4 and this trailer last week and pulled the hill I only had 2 rows of blocks across the front of the trailer to give it a try.   I did okay but was pretty much the limit of what the 300 4x4 would due.

foreman and trailer.jpg

• Like 3

Got some more firewood this morning , just had to cut it down from 8 ft lengths and load it up , pretty nice looking wood 

f19nSKc1T2OAcPieTk8pLQ.jpg

• Like 2