_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

After messing my knee up last year I need to add some firewood handling tools. I ordered a cant hook/peavy with a detachable log jack.

I want a pickaroon too. Are any of you guys using a pickaroon? 

I want to make a simple one. They have a a 2.5lb mattock pick at Walmart for $16.92.  I think I’ll buy one and cut off the digging end and sharpen the pick part. The whole thing weighs 3.6 pounds. With the digging end cut off it shouldn’t be much if any over 2.5. It’s 35” long I think. Looks like it might work?

624EA05B-8762-409E-8182-480BC3774006.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

No ,never heard of a pickaroon before !!! But have a few mattocks laying around the yard and one is going to be cut up now !!!  Could see that being handy 

1 hour ago, slowindown said:

After messing my knee up last year I need to add some firewood handling tools. I ordered a cant hook/peavy with a detachable log jack.

I want a pickaroon too. Are any of you guys using a pickaroon? 

I want to make a simple one. They have a a 2.5lb mattock pick at Walmart for $16.92.  I think I’ll buy one and cut off the digging end and sharpen the pick part. The whole thing weighs 3.6 pounds. With the digging end cut off it shouldn’t be much if any over 2.5. It’s 35” long I think. Looks like it might work?

624EA05B-8762-409E-8182-480BC3774006.jpeg

They have a few DIY picaroons on you tube, they make them with old axe heads.

• Like 1

no, i never have  ether ... most times i just sink my fiskars axe in, and move the logs around, but that's interesting, but i do have a mattock.... i take on my spitter,  but i also had bad back trouble, most likely from lift all that wood for years. 

I saw the ones made with the axe but this extra light mattock looked like it had potential. The smallest one I have at the house probably has a 5lb head and it would be too heavy. Plus the Walmart one has a flat handle so orientation will be by feel first. Plus it’s cheap. We’ll see. 

I iwas thinking of Slow's design as a lever point /wedge to possibly lift the log off the ground and push a block under it for cutting 

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I iwas thinking of Slow's design as a lever point /wedge to possibly lift the log off the ground and push a block under it for cutting 

That’s going to be a cant hook/peavy which rolls the log. I ordered one of those instead of fooling with making one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slowindown said:

That’s going to be a cant hook/peavy which rolls the log. I ordered one of those instead of fooling with making one. 

I had a couple of them with broke handles , pile drivers use them down here to move the pilings around to chain them up for hoisting , Katrina hit and I threw them away 

The one I ordered is really a peavy but like in your video it has that log jack foot on it. But on the one I ordered the log jack is removable with a wing nut or two. I’m thinking I probably won’t use the jack part. I’ll just cut mostly through all cuts for the log then roll it and finish them. But we’ll see. 

that's how I do mine, just saw and role, finish, it's gets to a point one can take too many tools along, but for lifting.... that razor sharp fiskars axe will do the same job of two tools, so far I've been very pleased with it. 

• Like 2

I use a pickaroon all the time and carry one on my wheeler. Great for dragging wood around. Son on left, son-in-law on right. They were goofing off while I cut and cleared.

IMG_20210109_224019.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slowindown said:

the jack part.

^^^^  is what would help would help me, but,  most of mine are stacked (piled) so i just start high as i can, and work my way down to logs laying on the ground, but like i say i saw 3/4 of the way use my foot to role, then finish, but I'm  not cutting just for a small amount, if i go, I'm coming back with a full load. 

image.jpg

• Like 4

So this is it - my $16.92 Walmart pickaroon. I originally just sharpened it to a point but this profile seemed to dig and hold much better. I just did a little test of throwing wood off the pile and restacking it. 

23E713D8-3887-4D34-9CD5-BA70C58241E0.jpeg

FFB301DC-285A-4DE3-9439-7A77F600618E.jpeg

• Like 3

Funny how things happen , I was totally out of fire wood at the end of winter and was scrapping for a outdoor burn  .....   Two friends cut trees and now I have more wood cut and piled up  that needs to be split than I could ever use in a year , maybe 2 ....  and  I got that extra 1/3 acre added to our property that is full of trees  to get rid of , I am set for life 

This is the style cant I had a couple of , the  pile drivers would throw them away when the handles broke and I picked them up  

image.png

I really need and want a can’t hook. I’ve said that for years but want to find one at a garage sale or auction. I used to see them all the time but since I started heating house with woods I haven’t found one. 

• Like 1

They are rather simple and could be made easily if you can weld.  Once you own one you'll wonder how you handled heavy wood without it.

Well this was in front of the garage when I got home. 

The red handle is solid fiberglass all the way through.  The steel is heavy gauge. Seems solid. 

There's two places the hook can go.  It's in the far back one in the pic.  Everything is removable with wing nuts.

3CA2A085-B41F-4DF6-B6BF-E782CA47992C.jpeg

325B28AA-9752-4DC9-BFA5-C2AE9692B136.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Melatv said:

A Pulp Hook is handy to have

Search Results for pulp hook - Home Hardware

I see them at the flea markets all the time ,  I got one hanging on the patio , I called them hay or cotton  balers , actually sunk a boat with one of them , long story 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I see them at the flea markets all the time ,  I got one hanging on the patio , I called them hay or cotton  balers , actually sunk a boat with one of them , long story 

i think your talking this ?   this is used for Cotten, hay hooks are shorter, i have some hay hooks, over in the small shop, but we always just used the strings on square bales  but i believe back in the day they used wire, which was much worse on the hands, and the bails were packed extra tight, because that's all farmers etc had to feed in the winter, on the plus side you have much less loss / spoilage with square bales then with round bales.... ah the changing times.... some good, some not so good, but with help ... being hard to find square baling has slowly become a thing of the past, except for specialties like alfalfa, and straw ... etc, people don't wont to do that hard all day long work any longer. 

image.jpg

@slowindown while we're on the subject of handling logs you might also look into the fiskars ax line..... retro, and shade turned me onto them, and by far the best ax i have ever owned ...  makes hand splitting chopping and limbing so easy! been doing firewood off and on at the age of 15

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@slowindown while we're on the subject of handling logs you might also look into the fiskars ax line..... retro, and shade turned me onto them, and by far the best ax i have ever owned ...  makes hand splitting chopping and limbing so easy! been doing firewood off and on at the age of 15

yes I’ve seen those and think I would like one. By the way, I cut a few trees this weekend. The pickaroon I made was very useful. Extremely useful actually. The cant hook i bought is fairly heavy duty and will be mostly used as the Stihl one in the video above for getting the log up for cutting.