_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

2 hours ago, slowindown said:

yes I’ve seen those and think I would like one. By the way, I cut a few trees this weekend. The pickaroon I made was very useful. Extremely useful actually. The cant hook i bought is fairly heavy duty and will be mostly used as the Stihl one in the video above for getting the log up for cutting. 

good deal on the new edition, with that brand ax?  just watch your digits ..... i almost .... chopped the end of right index finger off with the x-27 splitting ax, (and i was just laying it down) when they say those axs are razor sharp, believe me they are..... lol.... and, i be curious as to how they would work on spitting elm, but I don't have any blow downs right now, just mainly osage orange trees (Bodark / hedge apple) 

that reminds me when was about 13, or 14 .... i helped an older gentleman .... do firewood, might have be one of my 1st times.... and sure enough he had some elm .... it was a blow down on my fathers farm, and my pop gave him the tree, told me to help him....we sawed it up, loaded it, hauled back to his place, he said you can split some.... all he had a sledge and three wedges, well he sat back and we talked while i split, and... i went to work on this one -/:;$ log, and drove one wedge in, and he said stop, and we waited  you could hear the log popping..... then he handed me another wedge, i drove it in, on the side split, same deal i stopped and listened to the log pop, then he looked at it, said he had never seen an elm log so twisted up, he said try the other wedge, end result was,  we never did that log to split.... lol! and one wedge was buried so deep, we couldn't get it out, he didnt have a chainsaw, he had one borrowed, there was only one way, i loaded the load in his furness, and we recovered the wedge the next day... every since then... I've tried my best to stay clear of elm.... lol! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Had a huge limb come out of the 100 year old pecan tree in mom and dad's yard Thursday night.  Had to cut some of it up to get out of my driveway early Friday morning. 

Knocked the rest of it out Saturday afternoon.  The middle kid wanted to help, so I let her run the saw a little.  Wasn't keen on her doing it in shorts, but she doesn't have any work pants, so I made her stick to small stuff and she worked under close supervision.  She didn't last long in the heat LOL

Had a trailer load of pecan when I was done.  I still have tons of split oak and we aren't using the fire pit like we used to, so I hauled the pecan to the local BBQ place for the guy to use smoking.  He was very appreciative.  World famous for his BBQ. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_Bar-B-Q_Diner

emily.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Had a huge limb come out of the 100 year old pecan tree in mom and dad's yard Thursday night.  Had to cut some of it up to get out of my driveway early Friday morning. 

Knocked the rest of it out Saturday afternoon.  The middle kid wanted to help, so I let her run the saw a little.  Wasn't keen on her doing it in shorts, but she doesn't have any work pants, so I made her stick to small stuff and she worked under close supervision.  She didn't last long in the heat LOL

Had a trailer load of pecan when I was done.  I still have tons of split oak and we aren't using the fire pit like we used to, so I hauled the pecan to the local BBQ place for the guy to use smoking.  He was very appreciative.  World famous for his BBQ. 

emily.jpg

I was thinking as I was reading , pecan good for smoking , and then you gave it to the BBQ place ---  some free meals involved ???? 

your father doesn't burn wood for home heating ? for some odd reason i thought he did.... and y'all heat with.... i don't know what you called that outfit but i do recall that issue with bleeding the air out of the system, I'm still very interested in that setup, but i believe the thread is in the old forums ? 

bet she didnt like that saw dust at all combine with the heat.. lol..... you'd be hard lucked to find a girl her age to even wish to help out doing that kind of work around here...

Edited by _Wilson_™

16 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

emily.jpg

Nice work.  The best safety equipment for chainsaws is the ones between your ears. knowing how to handle and what to expect keeps you most safe. (and hearing protection)

I actually got my wife to run a saw this weekend. It was her first time running a power saw. Had her use the new to me top handle stihl saw i picked up. I taught her what to do and told her to trim those couple trees etc. Well... 6 small trees dropped later she was done. She says, "that's kind of fun!" as she walked away for me to clean up the mess of limbs and scrub tree trunks.

191t.jpeg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I was thinking as I was reading , pecan good for smoking , and then you gave it to the BBQ place ---  some free meals involved ???? 

Yeah, he told me to come back and get some que this week LOL.  His wife was the receptionist where I went to school in 2nd and 3rd grade.  We got to be great friends while I was sitting in her office waiting to see the principal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your father doesn't burn wood for home heating ? for some odd reason i thought he did.... and y'all heat with.... i don't know what you called that outfit but i do recall that issue with bleeding the air out of the system, I'm still very interested in that setup, but i believe the thread is in the old forums ? 

bet she didnt like that saw dust at all combine with the heat.. lol..... you'd be hard lucked to find a girl her age to even wish to help out doing that kind of work around here...

I think she just likes to try things so she can say she did it.  She didn't last long LOL.  But at least she tries.

Both Dad and I have fireplaces in our houses, but they are seldom used.  Usually on holidays or if we have company over in the winter (more for atmosphere than heat). 

We both have a NG fired boiler in the basement with radiators for heat.  We both have forced air systems as well, but we use the radiators as they provide a much more even, comfortable heat vs forced air.  And that means we have redundancy.  Radiators, forced air, and if need be, fireplaces, depending on the emergency.

https://americanvintagehome.com/advice-for-older-homes/owners-older-homes/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Nice work.  The best safety equipment for chainsaws is the ones between your ears. knowing how to handle and what to expect keeps you most safe. (and hearing protection)

I actually got my wife to run a saw this weekend. It was her first time running a power saw. Had her use the new to me top handle stihl saw i picked up. I taught her what to do and told her to trim those couple trees etc. Well... 6 small trees dropped later she was done. She says, "that's kind of fun!" as she walked away for me to clean up the mess of limbs and scrub tree trunks.

191t.jpeg

I told her about kickbacks, and also to be careful cutting around a bunch of debris (tripping and falling with a running saw is no bueno).

She did well, but once I got to the bigger stuff that was on the ground she said "I think I've had enough"

19 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I think she just likes to try things so she can say she did it.  She didn't last long LOL.  But at least she tries.

Both Dad and I have fireplaces in our houses, but they are seldom used.  Usually on holidays or if we have company over in the winter (more for atmosphere than heat). 

We both have a NG fired boiler in the basement with radiators for heat.  We both have forced air systems as well, but we use the radiators as they provide a much more even, comfortable heat vs forced air.  And that means we have redundancy.  Radiators, forced air, and if need be, fireplaces, depending on the emergency.

https://americanvintagehome.com/advice-for-older-homes/owners-older-homes/

oh i gotcha .... well you never know ... she likes trying new things .... that's always a plus..... I've got to give her credit for getting in there. 

well the plus side of having a fire place is if the power goes out, so I'm covered there with gas logs and and wood burning fire places, but it sure would be a hassle if the power went out... 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh i gotcha .... well you never know ... she likes trying new things .... that's always a plus..... I've got to give her credit for getting in there. 

well the plus side of having a fire place is if the power goes out, so I'm covered there with gas logs and and wood burning fire places, but it sure would be a hassle if the power went out... 

I used to be paranoid about the power going out in winter and not having a backup power source to heat the house. Now with a wood stove, that worries me little.

Now i fret about the power going out in summer and loosing all our frozen food/reserve milk for the baby. In the winter, you just toss that stuff in the garage if needed.

• Like 3

tell me about it.... i have two deep freezers packed with food, and being with fire, and heavy rescue, burning wood in the house does worry me.... yeah i could store frozen goods in the shop, come winter time, but what a hassle... it would be... lol, here the winters have become so unpredictable... heck last winter was overly warm, and wet, with just a couple days of really cod weather, i have got to look into to gen set! at least one for the deep freezers, of i loose that food, I'd be out a few bucks. for sure! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

I used to be paranoid about the power going out in winter and not having a backup power source to heat the house. Now with a wood stove, that worries me little.

Now i fret about the power going out in summer and loosing all our frozen food/reserve milk for the baby. In the winter, you just toss that stuff in the garage if needed.

We learned after "Ice Storm '94" that you better have a generator.

I can't run my A/C's on my 6500 Honda unit, but I can run pretty much everything else.

Dad has a 30KW Cummings liquid cooled NG generator in his garage.  Not hooked up of course, but he has it!  LOL

If he ever gets it hooked up I'll likely run a supply line from his house to mine.  We both have transfer switches wired into the houses, so shouldn't be too hard.

• Like 3

my guess is he wouldn't even hook it up if there was a chance the power would go out ...... lol, he won't let you use it, right ? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

my guess is he wouldn't even hook it up if there was a chance the power would go out ...... lol, he won't let you use it, right ? 

He has the panel wired up and everything.  Has to pour a concrete pad to set it on.

Mom was super ticked when the power went out a few months ago, and it got pretty hot in the house.  LOL

• Haha 2

is this on wheels or a stationary unit, that might be the reason he's not using it, worried someone might hitch up to it, and just unhook the leads, and drive off ? if it was me, I'd put on the pad, and at least start it every once in a while, Dave has a gas powered unit, which sat, and his locked up, and now he can't even get the parts to have the engine refreshed, but that said, it is an older brand. 

It's a big one.  Probably 10-12 feet long, 3-4 feet wide, 3 feet tall.

It's on big casters now, so can be rolled around on perfectly smooth ground, but nobody's taking off with it without a forklift and a big trailer.

• Thanks 1

sounds like a six cyclinder cummins with a turbo or  maybe a four ? does he ever start it every once in a while ? to make sure it works produces power, and runs good, i say this just in case the power goes out, y'all could just role out hook it up, and be good to go, without having an issue because it's been stored for so long (if that's the case) 

14 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

sounds like a six cyclinder cummins with a turbo or  maybe a four ? does he ever start it every once in a while ? to make sure it works produces power, and runs good, i say this just in case the power goes out, y'all could just role out hook it up, and be good to go, without having an issue because it's been stored for so long (if that's the case) 

Nope, he hasn't started it since he bought it around 2013.  0 hours on it.

I believe it's a 4, but would have to look to be sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh okay, it wouldnt hurt to start it every so often. just my thinking, yeah most likely a four banger. 

Oh I know. 

Remember you're talking about a guy with an 85 Jeep with <4K miles on it.

He knows stuff needs to be run.  He just doesn't do it.  LOL

• Haha 1

yeah.... i know ... that's why i like your pop so much... he sounds like a character, just wish i could meet him, kind of like my pop, every time you use it, that's one time you want be able to use it, he is the worlds worst about starters.... sigh, everytime you use a starter, that's one time it want start .... so we used to raise the rpm up (1000 rpm) on diesel powered tractors (when a short break was needed for one reason lr another) fuel was super cheep... but after years and the cost of fuel going up, he started use the starters more, go figure ? one of our semi trucks had an timer engine shut off, used to drive him nuts.... but i could trick the system using the cruse control...switches .... . lol! 

• Like 1

Wont be any wood burned around here for a while... finally broke down & put the 48 year old a/c in. Still works, just weighs a ton & is a brat to lift 😬

axx.jpg

• Like 2