_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

On 10/14/2021 at 10:16 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Dang TB.  You're like McFadden.  "We got that wood!"

14 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't have the equipment here any more to push on the trees when I cut them , got a couple that are leaning the wrong way and don't want to damage the live oak with the swing  , that is next to it , when I drop it , so I had  asked the flea market venders to find me a rope snatch block and he came thru , I had the spool of rope , about 200 ft and hope to tie it off to my truck  

This is going to be a pretty scary cut for me , the tree is a pine with bad damage 25ft up the tree , going to take a pic of this tree today ,  

ybfW0XUPSGGykX%qcWX3GA.jpg

IivoIFzgScqjQcG%njSVJA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f75.jpeg

Be very careful with that one Fish.  I've got a dead ash that's about 20" wide at waist height that I'll cut soon.  I'm going to chain it and use a little pull pressure on it.  I can always pull it more after making my cuts if needed.  I'm going to notch it and then do a plunge cut close but not to the notch and then saw back over to the other side without the notch.  I'll leave a small section of that for a trigger.  I'll then cut the trigger from the outside. This is to reduce the chance of it barber chairing.   I've done this before on leaners and it works very well.  Watch out for falling dead limbs.

• Like 1

Just now, RubiDan said:

Be very careful with that one Fish.  I've got a dead ash that's about 20" wide at waist height that I'll cut soon.  I'm going to chain it and use a little pull pressure on it.  I can always pull it more after making my cuts if needed.  I'm going to notch it and then do a plunge cut close but not to the notch and then saw back over to the other side without the notch.  I'll leave a small section of that for a trigger.  I'll then cut the trigger from the outside. This is to reduce the chance of it barber chairing.   I've done this before on leaners and it works very well.  Watch out for falling dead limbs.

Rubi, be very careful cutting the dead ash, many times they don't end up falling like you anticipate.  Some are pretty rotten at the base and who knows how far up and have known to "barber chair" or just break off after the notch.  With a chain or rope to guide it should help but keep your eyes and ears ready......

• Like 1

Here is a pic of the pine with damage on it ------------  I have a buddy who use to be  full time horticulturist  , he stopped by yesterday and he was like no problem , go get the saw and he wanted to cut the tree right then , he said it would clip the oak next to it just a bit , I don't want to hit it at all ----he was putting his chin and his belly against the tree base and looking up and says it is leaning the way it needs to go 

420OAoKASsSiLHbiMg+YSQ.jpg

e9BGPoz2SEaiW%YjAKn5GQ.jpg

S2po0mWASs64c29RHJtGzA.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bcsman said:

Rubi, be very careful cutting the dead ash, many times they don't end up falling like you anticipate.  Some are pretty rotten at the base and who knows how far up and have known to "barber chair" or just break off after the notch.  With a chain or rope to guide it should help but keep your eyes and ears ready......

This one is solid at the base.  It still had a few green leaves on it last year.  I'm sure some of the limbs up high could be in bad shape so I'll have to keep a watch out for them.  It should make lots of good firewood.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Here is a pic of the pine with damage on it ------------  I have a buddy who use to be  full time horticulturist  , he stopped by yesterday and he was like no problem , go get the saw and he wanted to cut the tree right then , he said it would clip the oak next to it just a bit , I don't want to hit it at all ----he was putting his chin and his belly against the tree base and looking up and says it is leaning the way it needs to go 

420OAoKASsSiLHbiMg+YSQ.jpg

e9BGPoz2SEaiW%YjAKn5GQ.jpg

S2po0mWASs64c29RHJtGzA.jpg

That one doesn't look too bad.  Doesn't look like there's any need for a plunge cut on that one.  I'd say he could make it fall exactly where he wants it to.  

I can usually read a tree pretty good but last year I had a big walnut with a very full top.  It didn't want to fall like I wanted it to so I had to get some wedges and drive them in the cut in order to make it go down where I wanted it.  I've been working on filling my barn back up and I'll be splitting that walnut as soon as it dries out a bit.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

That one doesn't look too bad.  Doesn't look like there's any need for a plunge cut on that one.  I'd say he could make it fall exactly where he wants it to.  

I can usually read a tree pretty good but last year I had a big walnut with a very full top.  It didn't want to fall like I wanted it to so I had to get some wedges and drive them in the cut in order to make it go down where I wanted it.  I've been working on filling my barn back up and I'll be splitting that walnut as soon as it dries out a bit.

I've found walnut to split incredibly easy even when wet.

42 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I've found walnut to split incredibly easy even when wet.

The ground is what is wet.  I just hate making muddy messes.  I'll be using the Honda and small trailer because it'll probably be quite awhile before the ground completely dries out.  Once I split the walnut and ash that I need to cut down the barn might be full again.  If not full it'll be close.

2 hours ago, RubiDan said:

I'm gonna need you to get my some highly figured walnut blanks out of that so I can try my hand at stock-making. 

Who am I kidding?  I can't even whittle a dowel without messing it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm gonna need you to get my some highly figured walnut blanks out of that so I can try my hand at stock-making. 

Who am I kidding?  I can't even whittle a dowel without messing it up.

They're already cut in firewood length and just need splitting.  If and when I ever cut up any more walnut, I will send you some if you want.  The wood I have now would work for a dowel as long as you don't need one over about 18" long.

41 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

They're already cut in firewood length and just need splitting.  If and when I ever cut up any more walnut, I will send you some if you want.  The wood I have now would work for a dowel as long as you don't need one over about 18" long.

Eh, that was kind of a joke.

I'd love to take some walnut and do this. 

Prettywood.jpg

But realistically, it would end up looking like this

stock.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Eh, that was kind of a joke.

I'd love to take some walnut and do this. 

Prettywood.jpg

But realistically, it would end up looking like this

stock.jpg

I think realistically (if i had time to spare which i don't right now) i could make a stock and finish it to look really good. However, I'm not really confident in a way to knurl it. the intricate etching and knurling is what really brings a stock to life and i just don't know how to do it. 

3 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I think realistically (if i had time to spare which i don't right now) i could make a stock and finish it to look really good. However, I'm not really confident in a way to knurl it. the intricate etching and knurling is what really brings a stock to life and i just don't know how to do it. 

The wood itself is usually what makes a stock plain or amazing looking. 

With practice and more patience I might be able to do something presentable, but given the time involved, I'd be better suited to buy a stock, and spend my time doing something I enjoy more.  Woodworking is something Dad is into.  I prefer engines.

With American Black Walnut, highly figured pieces aren't real common.  Usually crotchwood has figure in it.

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The wood itself is usually what makes a stock plain or amazing looking. 

With practice and more patience I might be able to do something presentable, but given the time involved, I'd be better suited to buy a stock, and spend my time doing something I enjoy more.  Woodworking is something Dad is into.  I prefer engines.

With American Black Walnut, highly figured pieces aren't real common.  Usually crotchwood has figure in it.

I never even heard of crotch wood till this week , was watching some guys with a gas power sawmill make slabs of crotch wood 

This is a wood processor that I built two years ago. It's has a 17hp motor on it, hydraulic motor runs the belt conveyor to move the log, hydraulic cylinder brings the 30"  cutter bar down, running a 404 chain for cutting. I have a small loader that I built that helps loading logs on the processor. The wood splitter is something I built four years ago. It has a 20hp two cylinder motor. The splitter has a hydraulic lift for picking up large blocks.  I love cutting wood, we buy a log truck load each year, and this all makes cutting wood fun.

IMG_20210424_161733463.jpg

IMG_20210424_161748325.jpg

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, marcuswayne said:

This is a wood processor that I built two years ago. It's has a 17hp motor on it, hydraulic motor runs the belt conveyor to move the log, hydraulic cylinder brings the 30"  cutter bar down, running a 404 chain for cutting. I have a small loader that I built that helps loading logs on the processor. The wood splitter is something I built four years ago. It has a 20hp two cylinder motor. The splitter has a hydraulic lift for picking up large blocks.  I love cutting wood, we buy a log truck load each year, and this all makes cutting wood fun.

IMG_20210424_161733463.jpg

IMG_20210424_161748325.jpg

That is awesome.  I’m jealous of that setup

I cut wood today too. 4 ash trees at my elderly neighbors. Stihl 044, 200t did all the work. 

3A2D5D3A-16DB-4AD2-A11D-36C67CD714E7.jpeg

D217552A-286E-461C-B6E4-D7D2607B8BBC.jpeg

• Like 7

that's alot quicker then most non commercail wood splitters !!! @bcsman check that out ^^^^ Purdy slick, but I'd still have use that razor sharp fiskars spitting axe...... mine couldn't keep up with him, even with that 4 way slip on wedge..... of corse, mine is a stand up lay down model, vertical spitting was always a tad faster. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

That's easy with the softwood he's splitting in the video.

I'd like to see him with a 20" yellow birch,  or some rock maple.  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TBRider said:

That's easy with the softwood he's splitting in the video.

I'd like to see him with a 20" yellow birch,  or some rock maple.  🤣🤣🤣

This makes my rotator cuffs scream in horror......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1