_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

^^^^ Something about watching videos of people cut trees is very satisfying , especially when it goes wrong , LOL ^^^^ 

• Haha 1

Maybe this can be a learning video on how not to cut down trees , LOL 

• Like 1

for those that have more then one helping to cut, nope!! i saw alone!! (not  saying thats the best way) but having too many experts can get you hey real fast!! i take my handy talkies with me, and david, and dale...... listen for me, but thank goodness, I've never had to call for help, i let them know when I'm off sawing, and talk to them when i move, or go on break, and also when I'm done for the day........ i also have ems, and county fire and rescue repeats programed in. >>>> THINK SMART <<<<

man alive those two videos are just crazy, educational ?? YES !! 

• Like 1

That guy at 2:30ish purposely took the wedge out to make that tree fall on the car.  Probably quite a few of these where the tree falls on something that were purposely done.

I ordered a Timberline chainsaw sharpener to sharpen my 404 chain on my wood processor that has a 30" bar. The chain had been sharpened 5 or 6 times prior to my using the Timberline sharpener. Using the timberline sharpener it took 3 or 4 times sharpening the 404 chain before the chain was filed perfect. Sharpening before the timberline I would alway sharpen one side more than the other. Now that all the teeth are the same the saw is cutting amazing. I would recommend only getting the Timberline sharpener. It's a little pricey.  Very happy with it.  I try to sharpen the teeth after every 6 or 7 logs  that way the teeth never really get dull. It take less to sharpen.  I have cut my self two times after sharpening the teeth. 

IMG_20210417_150627231~2.jpg

IMG_20220413_215349344.jpg

Edited by marcuswayne
  • Like 2

I’ve had very good luck free hand filling. I’ve found using a saw that the remaining tooth left has not much to do with cutting efficiency as a whole. However you need to adjust your raker per tooth. If filed per tooth per raker, I’ve found no devience in cutting straightness or speed. But it’s easier to be consistent with a jig. 

I am decent with hand filing , except for some reason , I suck at filing the racker or whatever you call them  ---- any tips or  secrets

For me, not everyone filing the chain on my wood processor is not so easy because I file the chain on the processor. One side when filing is easy to do the other side hard to reach. With the timberline sharpener you stand on one side to do all the filing. When filing the rakers I run a flat file over the raker one time after every 6 or 7 filings. That seems to work. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marcuswayne said:

I ordered a Timberline chainsaw sharpener to sharpen my 404 chain on my wood processor that has a 30" bar. The chain had been sharpened 5 or 6 times prior to my using the Timberline sharpener. Using the timberline sharpener it took 3 or 4 times sharpening the 404 chain before the chain was filed perfect. Sharpening before the timberline I would alway sharpen one side more than the other. Now that all the teeth are the same the saw is cutting amazing. I would recommend only getting the Timberline sharpener. It's a little pricey.  Very happy with it.  I try to sharpen the teeth after every 6 or 7 logs  that way the teeth never really get dull. It take less to sharpen.  I have cut my self two times after sharpening the teeth. 

IMG_20210417_150627231~2.jpg

IMG_20220413_215349344.jpg

That thing looks pretty cool. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I am decent with hand filing , except for some reason , I suck at filing the racker or whatever you call them  ---- any tips or  secrets

fish you need the 2 in 1 file.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

fish you need the 2 in 1 file.

I have a two in one ordered and  on the way , $18.89 and free shipping 

Want one of them bar vises in that video ^^^  Have found the Echo version with spikes on the bottom , but I like the one in the video as I will always be sharpening on a table , have not found it yet 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sled_22 said:

After two days of kicking !. I am almost done for next winter. 

42BE06A7-8111-407C-B1FB-A2A0D7D3103D.jpeg

FFA3B89C-1F4E-4D9F-86B2-3BECE7CDD106.jpeg

Ash?

I've probably got close to four years worth cut up.  Three years split and in the barn.

Edited by RubiDan

18 minutes ago, RubiDan said:

Ash?

I've probably got close to four years worth cut up.  Three years split and in the barn.

My wood pile is a mix of red oak black walnut and white ash. Ash is easy to get now with the EAB. All the HAND split wood in the field is ash. It was a glorious day of cutting and splitting. 36 logs cut and split. Burned 7 tanks of fuel through my stihl 044, 462 and Jonny 2171. Seriously taking offers for a massage haha. 

photo of inside stack partially through the trailer full. 

9574FCC3-7136-4089-9BF9-B85CDAFCF36B.jpeg

• Like 6

I didn't go through much wood this year. It was a very mild dry winter but I converted my wood stove in the shop to burn waste oil. It cut the labor part down trying to heat the old shed. I do need to get serious and get the shed refilled with wood though. 

20220421_223744.jpg

20220421_223802.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, toodeep said:

I didn't go through much wood this year. It was a very mild dry winter but I converted my wood stove in the shop to burn waste oil. It cut the labor part down trying to heat the old shed. I do need to get serious and get the shed refilled with wood though. 

20220421_223744.jpg

20220421_223802.jpg

Really cool set-up you got there , looking good !!!  -----   In the immortal words of Beavis and Butthead "" Fire is Cool ""

On 4/12/2022 at 9:14 AM, sublime68charger said:

some pics of maple syrup boil down,

ran 4 weekends and made 73 pints in total for this year!

wood stove setup.jpg

sap boiling.jpg

Thought of you when this found me 

image.png

My new sharpener arrive today , checking out how to use it , found this video , thought I post it up

Stihl 2-1 sharpener 1st time use review : 

With the saw motor to the left it feels incredibly good on the stroke , flip the saw around like the guy did in that view above , not so good a feel , need to work on my technique ---- did not cut with it yet , so , no comment on the sharpness 

Here’s my fun from this morning. 
these will probably be milked and not firewood. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Here’s my fun from this morning. 
these will probably be milked and not firewood. 

Not sure how I’m going to milk these.  Meant to say mill haha. 

• Haha 1

My experience using the Timberline chain sharpener has not been as good as I had hoped. Maybe its me. I have sharpened my 404 chain on my processor like six times and what I see is the sharpener files the chain more on one side than the other. Tried different things and still the teeth on one side are being filed down more on one side. Maybe its because the chain is a large chain 404. Over all not happy spending 130.00 for the sharpener. 

For years I have used this Oregon chain sharpener and been very happy. This is my second one and still works great. 

IMG_20220426_125412763.jpg