_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

@_Wilson_™ thanks for the tip on the 2 in one sharpener 

I have used the Stihl file about 5 times now , and will say it is a good buy , I am getting better at using  it , still a little unorthodox going one way ,  it really does a good job quick ---

I have  had Stihl before  and pretty happy with this Husqvarna , I am right about 100 trees down now with it , 2nd bar , 3rd chain , that was my fault for cutting roots in the mud  --- Tractor Supply is right down the road is a Husqvarna dealer and it is about $75 for a new OEM bar and chain , not too bad

I cut 5 trees down this past week , 3 pines , a chineyball ( tallow ) and a bay leaf ,  burn one pine  stump till it was under the mud line , and 1/2 of another , been drilling holes into the stump , soaking them down with  a mix of used motor oil and diesel , lite it with a propane torch , burns for a bout an hour , refill and do it again , it gets crispy and brittle , chop a bit with the axle and then burn it again 

aoLghn3fTZ6lz%5lDtsEjg.jpg

• Like 2

your most welcome fish....... on a tad not of pain........ so I've got to say hope all have a good one. 

7 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

There's a guy in Ft. Morgan that has this on a wooden sign in the front of his RV.  We had a double spot so the campfires were at our place.  Two rules:  Bring your own chair and poking stick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

There's a guy in Ft. Morgan that has this on a wooden sign in the front of his RV.  We had a double spot so the campfires were at our place.  Two rules:  Bring your own chair and poking stick.

I need a sign , only designated pokers allowed to poke the fire , LOL 

We got a  few  that come around , that are fire poking people , who have that  no business poking and can't leave it alone ,  everything is  going along good , they start the poking and  make the fire smoke 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I need a sign , only designated pokers allowed to poke the fire , LOL 

We got a  few  that come around , that are fire poking people , who have that  no business poking and can't leave it alone ,  everything is  going along good , they start the poking and  make the fire smoke 

That's why only the men get to poke the fire.  I also leave a pile of wood next to their chair.  Small stuff.

• Like 2

OK i'll bump this...seeing how my back is wrote off from all the wood movement, & not done yet 😅😵

Bought 2 cords in May, then the rest is all free wood i picked up, the last bit was my buddies both to his house & mine, 

wood9.jpg

wood8.jpg

wood7.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Is that kindling ,  from the ends at the saw mill ? 

not sure ?..but it looks like he's flipping us off ??..lol.

• Haha 1

Naw he's not used to hard work like my wheeler bud in the other pic lol was 3 of us on Sunday. All 3 of us went to the same elementary school in the 70s.... Yea thats kindling  buddies ex g/f  bought, they split up after 12 years so thats why we cleaned out all the wood he got this summer as the house already sold 😫

We heat solely with wood- in the house and in my welding shop. Love it. We have 110 acres to harvest dead and down, so access to wood isn't a problem.

• Like 1

Here is the making of our bigger log store, we also have 2x big pallets approx 4ft x 4ft x 4ft inside a boiler room and 2 more standing log stores around the side of the shed in picture (not pictured). If I was to measure it all, we could probably store approximately 4 to 5 cords of wood in 1 go. We plan to re roof this shed next year and extend the back sheeting by approx 4ft overhang, then we can store more logs right up to the roof the full length of the shed.

This will all be for next years burning, as we have a wood burning cooker that also heats our water.

20221105_162028.jpg

20221106_160604.jpg

• Like 4

Out of interest, how much wood do you guys burn on an average season? And what size logs do you cut to?

In Ireland, most stoves and wood fired cookers over here are small to medium in wood capacity. I chop our wood to between 6 and 14 inch lengths, our small stove can only take 6-8 inch where as our Rayburn will just about manage 14 if the sticks are vertical. We tend to split anything that is 6 inch diameter or bigger, anything small is dried at that size.

I would guestimate we burn about 2 cords in a season, more if the weather is cold.

• Like 1

Finally had time to catch up. 
good to see everyone getting their wood supplies up. I’m ready for this winter with 8 cord dry and 3 more wet for next year. Been itching to start a fire again. We had it going to a couple days early oct when it dipped into the teens but nothing since. Looks like Friday will be the day for the consistent burning in the house. Bring on the cold. 

pic was from spring. 

53D33143-8207-4072-B0AD-D19F30C78002.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turbo Twister said:

Out of interest, how much wood do you guys burn on an average season? And what size logs do you cut to?

In Ireland, most stoves and wood fired cookers over here are small to medium in wood capacity. I chop our wood to between 6 and 14 inch lengths, our small stove can only take 6-8 inch where as our Rayburn will just about manage 14 if the sticks are vertical. We tend to split anything that is 6 inch diameter or bigger, anything small is dried at that size.

I would guestimate we burn about 2 cords in a season, more if the weather is cold.

8 cord around 16-18” lengths split down to approx 6-8” diameter splits or round. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turbo Twister said:

Oh that's a good question........lol! And the responses should be good........ I'll have to get you the measurements of the fire box on the hardy.....I'll start by saying it gets filled twice a day (stuffed) but right now ..... I'm not really able to use it  because of a health issue, but I'm getting better day by day ..... And I'm itching to start using again.... If i had to guess..... For home heat.... I use more then anyone in the forums....... House is a hair under 5 thousand square feet..... Technically it would be classified as a 3 story house.... A Massive attic, and under my home is a small reinforced storm shelter...and a basement , combined size of both would be close to a two car garage , with a 6 foot ceiling

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

I probably use 3 cords and maybe 3 1/2 cords or so if it's a cold winter.  I actually may use more this year because I've got quite a bit of dead ash and some of it's not in the best of shape.  Over here in the US you'll find a big difference in wood usage because the climate is all over the place.  

I have an old Fisher Grandpa Bear stove.  It's old but it'll sure put out some heat.  I aim for about 18" to 20" when cutting wood.  I'll try to attach a picture of one like mine but it may not work.

Ok, the picture wouldn't work so I'll attach a link of pictures like it.

fisher grandpa at DuckDuckGo

Edited by RubiDan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RubiDan said:

I probably use 3 cords and maybe 3 1/2 cords or so if it's a cold winter.  I actually may use more this year because I've got quite a bit of dead ash and some of it's not in the best of shape.  Over here in the US you'll find a big difference in wood usage because the climate is all over the place.  

I have an old Fisher Grandpa Bear stove.  It's old but it'll sure put out some heat.  I aim for about 18" to 20" when cutting wood.  I'll try to attach a picture of one like mine but it may not work.

Ok, the picture wouldn't work so I'll attach a link of pictures like it.

fisher grandpa at DuckDuckGo

Yeah you guys have all weather's over there. Interestingly, even though my dad and I only live 2 hours drive apart (approx 100 miles) our temperature difference is about 8°C all year round on average, bigger in the winter months. We are also higher up than him though, on the side of a bog hill.

Our old Rayburn is our main heat source, I'm not sure on the year of it as it was in the house before my wife bought it, but I'd estimate its a 70's/80's era. You can still buy them new, but for about €10000!

• Like 1

I've looked and looked i can't find that post about the hardy sizes ..... Might be posted in the old dead forum...... But here it is plz pardon the delay ..... Outer stainless shell >> 40w x 52.5d x 59.5h, the firebox >> 32w x 32d x 36 + 8h for the grates .... Specs 115 vac 15 amp, weight 850 lbs water capacity 130 gallons, the h4 is  the biggest most popular mechanical unit they made, and still the best selling....even used their out of site.... Mine cost over 5 grand completely installed..... Now it's worth..... (Sam Bass told me)almost 10,000 not installed, he's asked me my plans ..... Am selling it or not, well as of lately i don't know.... But it's not because i can't use it just yet, I've been thinking of moving completely out of tenn.... Oh an it's rated 180,000 btu .... Again, @Turbo Twister my bad for the delayed information..... Have any questions hit me up... I put your number in my phone.....but I've never texted outside the United States sept with wheeler. 

• Like 1