_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

I decided to give the x-27 fiskars .... A work out this morning.... Took about 2 + hours to bust this pile... I'm SUPER impressed every single time i use it! just a few more big chunks of beech left... Then over to the right my favorite fire wood.... bodark (Osage orange) i hate dealing with those thorns... But this wood is worth the trouble! I'll probably use that 35 ton monster to split that stuff .^^^

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

@bcsman We were talking in chat.... And i mentioned that hackberry (or what was left) here's the pic ... I split all this with that fiskars x-27 knots and all , with that new cold front, I'm using whats left of that wood tonight, Then ...I'll swop to the green bodark... @superrman77 my 35 ton hydraulic splitter is on page 8 , but I've been hand splitting with that x27 axe.... Ive only started it to keep her in good running condition.... Funny thing ... Dennis asked me why i was hand splitting.... I told him about the fiskars splitting axe...he tryed mine, and went and got one...  AND i came real close to loosing a finger to this one... She gets touched up after each session ... You can shave by mine..... I'm very serious about fire wood tools :-) 

the first pic is that monster bodark....second . Short sawed hackberry ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

I still have a good bit of wood to split and I'm thinking it is time to upgrade my splitter.  I have the old mtd 6hp 22 ton splitter.  It is a good splitter.  It will split anything I put under it.  It is just slow as heck.  

• Like 1

Here is a old pic I dug up , 300 tag team / fire wood ----Troy built 27T , 1995 / 300 4wd -  homemade trailer , 2000 / 300 2wd 

fullsizeoutput_566.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice setup! I like those wide tires on that trailer! Beats my skinny tires hands down for floatation on sloppy soft soil....

I thought you would post a couple pics of that chopper axe ?? I bet most here haven't ever seen that wicked splitting head design .....

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Here is an interesting video that I just happen to stumble upon ----I actually have a Chopper II , which I think the only difference is the composite handle instead of wood 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Nice setup! I like those wide tires on that trailer! Beats my skinny tires hands down for floatation on sloppy soft soil....

I thought you would post a couple pics of that chopper axe ?? I bet most here haven't ever seen that wicked splitting head design .....

On  that trailer , if you like the wide tires , you should really like it now , I took the fenders off , put some bigger tires with aluminum fancy rims , need to take a pic 

• Like 1

You know we had a lot of good information and pics on that other site , I don't know what was posted here or there ---- I was pushing 13,000 post , no idea how many pics ---Shade had like 18,000 

Yeah i know.... Sadly lost.... I'm remembering alot of information stored in the old brain pan... Lol 

good video.... I seen that one just before i got the x-27 ..... I think the longer 27 would be a much fairer test ...... You get real good momentum going with that 27 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

These are the tires I have on that trailer now days -- a guy hit a curb and bent one rim of a set on a golf cart tires and rims , the axle uses golf cart hubs , so I got three nice tires and rims for $20 each , so I have a spare to match ----- you can see I take good care of my Chopper ----- we had a lot of rain  ,  hey , you think my neighbors yard is low or what , Lake Lacombe , eh 

ALATfEGWTgucFO2GA4mB7Q.jpg

FhOCdvimQ6mwC6WmUeHi+A.jpg

• Like 3

Here is a must have for serious wood cutters, saves a ton of time when chains need sharpened. 

3F0CB980-64B9-470F-84D2-B4153DEFF163.jpeg

Edited by 01RUBY500

That's.a  nice sept up, but i like old school hand filing ..... I was turned onto this 2 in one file by retro.... And i haven't had a single issue ...... Best saw chain tool i have... By far! But i also hand file (completely) old school , along with the depth gauges .... Most people don't know to file those down....

heres a pretty good reference .... Although ... Not exactly how i do it old school...and do t forget to flip/dress the bar edges ....

image.jpg

I do hand file in the field at times but I have plenty of chains so most of mine are done on the grinder like above and I can just switch them out if needed. It's funny how fast you can find a staple in a tree that was used as a fence post in the past. I also take my rakers down a little more than most but those are done to my preference for the type of wood I'm cutting (reason I have multiple chains). In the past we sharpened chains in the business (sold the McCulloch saws before they went bankrupt) so I was use the the motorized sharpeners and prefer them. Kind of like a case an bobcat skid loader debate, it's what we are use to.

• Like 1

It's funny how fast you can find a staple in a tree that was used as a fence post in the past

true.... That's a main issue here .....i cut high up up on standing damaged trees,....... But on blow downs .... It's a gamble ... .... There's no telling how much metal I've cleaned out of my furness ash pan ...that chain ^^^ pic .... Is 2 years old...... It's about used up.... I have many sharp new full skip chains on hand ..... It never ends ....

Edited by _Wilson_™

That's.a  nice sept up, but i like old school hand filing ..... I was turned onto this 2 in one file by retro.... And i haven't had a single issue ...... Best saw chain tool i have... By far! But i also hand file (completely) old school , along with the depth gauges .... Most people don't know to file those down....

heres a pretty good reference .... Although ... Not exactly how i do it old school...and do t forget to flip/dress the bar edges ....

image.jpg

I have those same files Wilson, they work great.  I got the Oregon grinder to save time & got tired of using the files, and the grinder does a better job for me, I tend to have trouble keeping the angle right with the files. 

I cranked up the splitter yesterday , on a good note , that chinese carb fired up on the second pull and it has been about a month since I last cranked it up ----------  done about 20 pieces then the splitter lost some of it's power on the hydraulics , it would contact the chunk by not crack it on pieces that should have been easy , so I took out the relief poppet and there was a small scare on the tip  , emery papered it and reinstalled and gave it another 1/2 turn , dumped the hydraulic filter and it was clean , so  she is back to cracking now ---- I really should have taken the time to plumb in my flow meter and check the pressure I have it set at , which I don't even know the specs of what it is capable of and what is recommended pressure ,  so this incident made me think about adding a pressure gauge at the control valve so I will know what pressure  I am at ----- do any of you guys with splitters have a pressure gauge on your unit and what are you max'ing out at 

I finally finished splitting the last chunks of that pine that fell in my yard , going to save this pile for a Mardi Gras Day Party , also got a golf cart bed full --- time to cut another tree down, but the fence line is still wet from all the rain we been having 

Wilson , I seen you were talking about a  splitter hydraulic pressure gauge , when I put a gauge  on my splitter , I going to tee the fitting on the push side of the cylinder , so I will be able to see what force is being exerted -----  hydraulic flow is measured in gallons per minute and flow is  what controls your cycle  speed time , pressure is measured in psi and is what controls the power of the stroke ---- to increase your cycle time you would need to have more flow , which would require a bigger displacement pump 

GKbYbkfzTOKPH8lP%tc4Iw.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 7:12 PM, 01RUBY500 said:

Here is a must have for serious wood cutters, saves a ton of time when chains need sharpened. 

3F0CB980-64B9-470F-84D2-B4153DEFF163.jpeg

I've looked at getting one of those.  The old man, of course, says "Just use files!", but I'd rather sharpen several chains at once and then swap them out in the field. 

What's the learning curve on those?  I've wondered if they're idiot proof or if you can screw up chains pretty quickly with them.  I love my dremel, but I've screwed up as much stuff using it as I've fixed.  That's the trouble with power accessories.

• Like 2

I thought it was very easy to learn. This is the Oregon 520-120. I watched several YouTube videos while waiting for it to be delivered from Amazon so that made it faster to setup and get going with it. It would be pretty hard to mess one up I think if you know how to use it properly, I really like the speed of it and my chains are much sharper now. Go to Oregon website and watch their videos on it and I think you will agree they are pretty easy to use. 

Fish... I still plan on adding a pressure gauge.... Just as reference ........ I'll update soon .....(maybe a while plates full) ...I'm still not sold on machine grinding ..... With a rotary disk ....... @Macarena Man any thoughts ? 

This 5000psi gauge  was $10.95 with free shipping --------- I was looking at the splitter yesterday evening to see what fittings I am going to need to plumb it in , and I have a rigid mounted steel tube from the control valve to the cylinder barrel , so what I think I am going to do is cut the tube length  to get the tee in , then use a Versa-flare fitting onto the end of the  tube ----the Versa-Flare is a compression fitting for hydraulics , I have used them many times and never seen one blow off ----it is either that flare or make a hydraulic hose to replace the tube , which isn't a problem for me as I have two hydraulic hoses machines , the fittings and hose to make that hose off my truck 

pressure gauge .jpg

• Like 2

I'm not too familiar with those fliud filled gauges... Except the fliud helps lube the inner works, and helps, or eliminates vibration and condensation .... Let me ask... On some higher end non liquid filled gauges.... There's a center zero adjust screw... I take it the fliud types don't have said adjustment screw ?? 

I've been doing some digging..... About the grandberg file and joint ..... Any of you fellas delt with one ?? 

Jeep.... I'd Almost bet money your father has one some place. 

Not the best video ..... But it seems to show how very versatile this jig is.... And no need to clamp the bar in a bench / solid mounted  vise. @01RUBY500 bet this thing would do a much better job then a grinder.... I know the price isn't bad at all! 

• Like 2

Jeep.... I'd Almost bet money your father has one some place. 

Nope!  "Just use a file, and be patient.  You don't need any of those gimmicky things to do what can be done with a file!"