_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

So, I have been a bit busy lately hence I haven't been on this much. But! I had a brain fart the other day about making a handy log splitter quite cheaply. I had a good think about electric vs petrol, which one is more economical, which is more useful, vertical or horizontal type, and I came to the conclusion that neither of them suited my needs.

So, here's my idea and it so far works really well! I'll possibly put a video on YouTube at some point, but I have some pictures for now. I own a ½ ton tracked dumper that doesn't get as much use as I'd like it to, so I removed the dumper body, purchased a 5ft long RSJ and built a removable splitter that can be raised or lowered to suit different height people loading it.

The ram that functions the tipping action drives the wood through an old axe head I had lying around. The whole unit is held together with 2x welded bolts and nuts at the engine end and the weight of the attachment is enough at the other end to not require a fixing point. It probably weights about 50kg in total. 

It is operated using a lever operated hydraulic pump original to the dumper, the full stroke is about 500mm (approx 20 inches) but most of the wood I cut is between 8 and 12 inches so I can split 2 pieces at once.

I would reckon it has a splitting force of about 4 tons, it did struggle on one knotty piece of Ash, but a lot of our firewood is knot free and my wife and I were delighted using it for just 10 mins and seeing the results.

Bit of a long story I know but I thought you guys might be interested in it. Also, because it's part of the dumper, I can track it exactly to where I need it and add a small trailer as it has a towbar mount on the front, so I don't have to pick up the split wood twice. As it is quite a long machine, it is a 2 person operation to be efficient, but I can work it solo aswell at a slightly slower pace.

Once I am finished with it, I simply undo 2 nuts and remove 2 pins, then lift off the attachment with another person and refit the dumper body, the best of both worlds in my opinion.

20230225_123810.jpg

20230225_124328.jpg

20230225_170309.jpg

20230225_173624.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Slickness !! I would have never thought of a track type mobile wood spitter...

Where we live is quite uneven ground. I did play with the idea of one on wheels, but with tracks, I can get across softer ground straight to the rings of wood.

I do need to add a few spiked ridges to the push plate to stop the rings pushing up as they meet the axe head, but I'll do that in time.

• Like 1

I used it for about 4 hours today, mainly splitting Alder and Willow, but a little bit of Birch and some very knotty Ash which it did not like at all. I had to repeatedly knock bits of Ash back off the axe head, which makes me wonder should I have a wider splitting head to reduce it getting stuck, like a maul head or 2 of them, one on top of the other. From lots of hand splitting experience, I have always found a maul to be less likely to get stuck than an axe. I split about 1 cord on my own in the time I played around with it. I will make an extended handle for the lever that drives the ram, so I don't have to be back and forth as much (can split and load from the same place without moving).

20230226_161538.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

Where we live is quite uneven ground. I did play with the idea of one on wheels, but with tracks, I can get across softer ground straight to the rings of wood.

I do need to add a few spiked ridges to the push plate to stop the rings pushing up as they meet the axe head, but I'll do that in time.

Oh i understand .... Problem i had was where the cattle were fed round bales...eve tho they're fed on soil that's over the top of bed rock... (Smart way) it still gets super slick.... So i kinda get what your talking about, I've had my wood splitter try and pass me... Along with trailer loads of wood... I've had my 97. 4wd loose traction in some sketchy places, n had to back or be dragged backwards... It's not easy to jack around a loaded trailor  while being dragged backwards, whats even worse is being dragged back in that sloppy top soil ....I've not had a an accident yet, but i have many deferent ways back up to my home... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Oh i understand .... Problem i had was where the cattle were fed round bales...eve tho they're fed on soil that's over the top of bed rock... (Smart way) it still gets super slick.... So i kinda get what your talking about, I've had my wood splitter try and pass me... Along with trailer loads of wood... I've had my 97. 4wd loose traction in some sketchy places, n had to back or be dragged backwards... It's not easy to jack around a loaded trailor  while being dragged backwards, whats even worse is being dragged back in that sloppy top soil ....I've not had a an accident yet, but i have many deferent ways back up to my home... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thats a fair load you have on that trailer for the bike towing! Is that an outdoor wood boiler in background of first picture?

We tend to keep the smaller trailer on the bigger bike,(450) not for towing capacity but for traction reasons. One of our fields has a small corner of woodland at the very bottom, the hill is roughly 40° decline and its no problem going down with an empty trailer, but to come back up you have to Zig Zag if you want any chance of getting back up😅 The top layer of ground is peat and is very soft in the winter/spring. No problem in the summer time when it dries out.

Ya...... Good eye, that's the fire breathing dragon aka hardy.... Heats water for home heat, and domestic water use.... Yeah i kinda push  the weight limits ..... But i balance the load over the trailor axle.... With just enough traikor tongue weight to have (close to) equal weight over all four bike wheels....i don't like putting too much weight on those open station rear 300 axles, although over certain areas I've had  the back end just come up off the ground, not often but some, if i was going to add more front trailor weight, n the bike was JUST for doing firewood, I'd add fluid ballast to the rear tires, and not on the frame / racks of the bike.... That's a mistake i see people make all the time, with the understanding.... Some things have to be hauled like that, but if it cn be done without putting weight over the entire bike... It equals less ware n tear on the machine, the tires take it all. 

Boogity boogity ...... LETS GO RACING!!! Awk! Cheers 😎🏁

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 8:56 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

Ya...... Good eye, that's the fire breathing dragon aka hardy.... Heats water for home heat, and domestic water use.... Yeah i kinda push  the weight limits ..... But i balance the load over the trailor axle.... With just enough traikor tongue weight to have (close to) equal weight over all four bike wheels....i don't like putting too much weight on those open station rear 300 axles, although over certain areas I've had  the back end just come up off the ground, not often but some, if i was going to add more front trailor weight, n the bike was JUST for doing firewood, I'd add fluid ballast to the rear tires, and not on the frame / racks of the bike.... That's a mistake i see people make all the time, with the understanding.... Some things have to be hauled like that, but if it cn be done without putting weight over the entire bike... It equals less ware n tear on the machine, the tires take it all. 

Boogity boogity ...... LETS GO RACING!!! Awk! Cheers 😎🏁

Does it take much wood daily to keep your water needs hot? We have a Rayburn multifuel stove that we only burn firewood in, it heats 1 radiator really well aswell as all our water for washing, sinks etc. We do want to upgrade in the future but the EU is causing havoc over here and they are trying to phase out wood burning stoves, saying its damaging to the environment 🤷‍♂️ I personally think the governments are talking absolutely garbage, trying to screw to tax payer so they can keep the bigger investors running.

Interesting idea on the fluid balance in rear tyres, not something I thought of.i will be using the 450 from now on to pull firewood and retiring the 300 to lighter duties like checking on animals or spraying etc, plus the occasional wheelie bin run down the drive!

• Like 1

No.... It's more of a booster heat.... To assist the main water heater, but it can be tweaked ...... Up hot enough to give one a good 2nd degree burn, that's with both the water and boiler running .. The key to this type is species of wood, plus whether its green midium , or dry.... Osage orange (bodark) aka hedge apple tree is by far the best I've used..... Greener the better... When i see that stainlesss stack start glowing. In sub temps ? She's right... Lol, hmmm. The EU sounds like the EPA over here.... But as useless as ! on a boar.... They're doing the same to people in cities... Who operate outside boilers for heat... No pollution ..... And hardey has complied as much as they can, and still make a good operating boiler, thing is .. ALL the new models are NOT 100% mechanical... Which is a mistake... And it's hurt the company, because with  these new models they are plagued with electronic issues, n they get much wose as the machine ages.... That's why all the ooriginal mechanical models have headed skywards in price, mine is now doubled in price... But i have no Desire to sell.... You and i think. The same on that fact.... Wood smoke doesn't harm the environment in the least! The only t hing I've ever heard that might could happen is a certain danger from breathing smoke that originates when burning certain plants poison ivy, or oak....have been said to make one more susceptible to catching it.... I couldn't very well say it's true or not because I'm immune to them both.... Always have been, even after breathing in smoke from burning both of those species ..... But i do my best to clear all vines from wood destined for the furness. 

Thank you, i had to learn that ballast trick.... You live on a farm, that's a requirement .... Comes in real handy when hauling partial loads of grain... Most would just put the load in the center ( mistake ) i did mine over the drives, and over top of the trailor tandems..... So.... I just followed that belief when loading anything on a single axle trailor.. Where tongue weight might help or Hender the job. 

• Like 2

Serious crew there ! NICE! That stacking took some mad fast skill ...... I tip my hat to those guys..... Lol! 

@sled_22 

@bcsman

@Turbo Twister

are y'all seeing that ?!

i don't know who all hear heats completely OR Partially with wood, but THAT there is how it's done n done right!, and fish just messed me up again..... Lol! The post is above the one he just posted.... 

13 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

No.... It's more of a booster heat.... To assist the main water heater, but it can be tweaked ...... Up hot enough to give one a good 2nd degree burn, that's with both the water and boiler running .. The key to this type is species of wood, plus whether its green midium , or dry.... Osage orange (bodark) aka hedge apple tree is by far the best I've used..... Greener the better... When i see that stainlesss stack start glowing. In sub temps ? She's right... Lol, hmmm. The EU sounds like the EPA over here.... But as useless as ! on a boar.... They're doing the same to people in cities... Who operate outside boilers for heat... No pollution ..... And hardey has complied as much as they can, and still make a good operating boiler, thing is .. ALL the new models are NOT 100% mechanical... Which is a mistake... And it's hurt the company, because with  these new models they are plagued with electronic issues, n they get much wose as the machine ages.... That's why all the ooriginal mechanical models have headed skywards in price, mine is now doubled in price... But i have no Desire to sell.... You and i think. The same on that fact.... Wood smoke doesn't harm the environment in the least! The only t hing I've ever heard that might could happen is a certain danger from breathing smoke that originates when burning certain plants poison ivy, or oak....have been said to make one more susceptible to catching it.... I couldn't very well say it's true or not because I'm immune to them both.... Always have been, even after breathing in smoke from burning both of those species ..... But i do my best to clear all vines from wood destined for the furness. 

Thank you, i had to learn that ballast trick.... You live on a farm, that's a requirement .... Comes in real handy when hauling partial loads of grain... Most would just put the load in the center ( mistake ) i did mine over the drives, and over top of the trailor tandems..... So.... I just followed that belief when loading anything on a single axle trailor.. Where tongue weight might help or Hender the job. 

Agreed! City folk are the ones moaning about pollution, and yet 90% of them drive 4x4s and heavy fuel guzzlers for show, they never see dirt or go off road, they are simply luxuries. But they'll argue that a log burner is more polluting🤷‍♂️

I'll burn timber until I'm forced to stop, I enjoy cutting it, milling it, burning it and working with it. As do a lot of you guys on here I'm sure!

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 3

Oh that's laughable!  pavement prowlers ? Haha! That's what we call those stupid looking wanna be diesel trucks...... Here in the states can't even burn REAL hardcore diesel fuel.... And I'll agree burning that watered down diesel MIGHT ?' be less of a poluter, but not by very (if any) much.... Everytime i smell French frys I'm reminded what a joke the EPA is..... Lol! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Oh that's laughable!  pavement prowlers ? Haha! That's what we call those stupid looking wanna be diesel trucks...... Here in the states can't even burn REAL hardcore diesel fuel.... And I'll agree burning that watered down diesel MIGHT ?' be less of a poluter, but not by very (if any) much.... Everytime i smell French frys I'm reminded what a joke the EPA is..... Lol! 

Pretty much yep! And most of them think they're driving a bus too!🤦‍♂️ The van I drive is diesel, but it's somewhat economical considering what I carry most days. I just read an article that says the EU is banning all sales of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035. You'll still be able to drive them and buy second hand ones, but only be able to buy electric, hybrid or possibly hydrogen cars by then. What a load of crap!

• Like 2

My friend..... I wish i could say what i think will happen, but we're just along for this ride..... I'll say this if crap like that does happen... There will be numerous people that will speak up, whether that will do any good ? I couldn't say, but I'm like most... They will have pry my old school vehicles from my cold dead hands.... Lol!.... Hang tough my friend! Oh! N waving a hand at @Bluezulu49,hope y'all are doing good! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

My friend..... I wish i could say what i think will happen, but we're just along for this ride..... I'll say this if crap like that does happen... There will be numerous people that will speak up, whether that will do any good ? I couldn't say, but I'm like most... They will have pry my old school vehicles from my cold dead hands.... Lol!.... Hang tough my friend! Oh! N waving a hand at @Bluezulu49,hope y'all are doing good! 

It won't be a major issue to own a fuel powered vehicle, but I would assume they will skyrocket the price of petrol and diesel (already did it last year) to make it difficult for us all.

Like you, I won't go without a fight to give up all my petrol and diesel toys🤣

• Like 1

Exactly! Turbo, i can recall when tax free high surfer red diesel was 80 cents a gallon..... It was still thinned / deluted ..... But it sure was 100% better then the water ( they call fuel ) we have now.... Stuff is so thin now it has little to no lubrication properties for the ol mechanical injector pumps... To add more.... The quality of fuel is gone yet the price for those big inline mechanical pumps stays the same in a round about way....none of this mess equals out to benifit anyone... Because of the thinned fuel more people are paying for repares..... And all this because some blooming greeny.... Says burning it pollutes ..... Ha! I just have laugh.... Because that same idiot passes gas just like cows do.... I been around live stock all my life and i can say this a person smells much worse and does much more damage to the environment then live stock ever did.... Not counting rooting swine.... Lol, chickens stink as well...lol

• Like 1

I got a chainsaw issue , I got that 450 Husqvarna and the pull rope came out and wouldn't go back in , so i took it part and didn't find anything wrong , cleaned it and  reset it ,  after about 5 pulls it did it again , took it apart and reset it again  and it worked for a few more pulls then stuck out again , took the pull start assembly to the local Husqvarna  dealer and ask him to get another , he went in the back and came back and said it was just dirty , he fixed it , no charge , well it last about 2 pulls , so  I bought one off ebay which was generic , it lasted 20 times and just broke , this time the screws that hold the spring assembly in came out , found one of the srew but it stripped the plastic out ----  well to add a bit to the story, the original assembly I was told by the dealer is a easy start system , made just a bit different than the aftermarket one I replaced it with --- what I think I would like to find is a starter assembly without easy start that is OEM , if it is even available  ---- the difference in easy start is the drive that engages the flywheel tangs is two piece instead of one and there is a spring in between the two pieces , which I think is not going to last long any way , Larry at the delaership told me , you can't pull hard on it or it will break 

34 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

you can't pull hard on it or it will break 

That's a 50cc, 3.2 HP plastic saw,,, Easiest fix is dump the chain oil and fuel mix into a Stihl MS261 (50cc, 5.0 HP) magnesium saw, half pound lighter, last a lifetime.

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, retro said:

That's a 50cc, 3.2 HP plastic saw,,, Easiest fix is dump the chain oil and fuel mix into a Stihl MS261 (50cc, 5.0 HP) magnesium saw, half pound lighter, last a lifetime.

:classic_biggrin:

I would have loved to have gotten  a Stihl ----  but , at the time never had the money in hand , plus the Stihl was a lot more  , I have a account with Husqvarna from buying the zero turn and  accessories >>> so on the saw , I got 0% down , 0% interest for 1 year , came with one year warranty , bought 3 cans of pre-mix and they extended it to a  3 year warranty , which I missed by a year , warranty  might have not even covered the pull start  drive anyways , don't know ------   It does have a lot of plastic on it ,  it is  one of the last ones built in Sweden ------  it was a good deal at the time on sale , got the saw , hard case , 3 cans of premix gas  , gallon of chain oil , file and file holder , 10% sales tax for $38  a month for a year 

Stihl is almost double what I paid 

image-1

Roll over image to Zoom 

video_icon1

STIHL MS 261 20 in. 50.2 cc Gas Chainsaw

$639.99

So the problem is the easy start device , it wore out fairly quick >>>>>   I know they make the assembly in non-easy start , just not sure which model to order to get it oem