_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

I think the 450 and 455 rancher have the same pull start assemblies. You can find those pretty cheap used on ebay.

• Like 2

Toodeep  -------  450 and 455 the same pull start assembly , good to know , thanks 

Retro ,  I just filled out the account app at OPE  Forum , looks like a good site for a Husqvarna guy like me

I did cut two more rounds off the stump today 

9duB0j8pTuK+CkYhiTdAWw.jpg

• Like 3

I had the guy that owns the land next to us give me a Stihl MS180 with that easy start crap on it.  He'd loaned it out and the borrower ran it with the brake on, melted the plastic crankcase, ruined the clutch.

I ordered parts from Farmertech (chinese cloned parts) and got it running.  Light little saw good for little stuff, but doesn't hold a candle to my Husky 346XP.

I did get rid of the easy start crap, put a regular pull starter on that Stihl and it's good to go now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I had the guy that owns the land next to us give me a Stihl MS180 with that easy start crap on it.  He'd loaned it out and the borrower ran it with the brake on, melted the plastic crankcase, ruined the clutch.

I ordered parts from Farmertech (chinese cloned parts) and got it running.  Light little saw good for little stuff, but doesn't hold a candle to my Husky 346XP.

I did get rid of the easy start crap, put a regular pull starter on that Stihl and it's good to go now.

My step son did the same on my 291. I'm pretty sure he left it on "fast idle" with the brake on and smoked the clutch and case. I cut wood with it for years with no problems and he destroyed it in minutes. I got lucky and found a used/free 291 and rebuilt it but now I'm the only one that uses it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Toodeep  -------  450 and 455 the same pull start assembly , good to know , thanks 

Retro ,  I just filled out the account app at OPE  Forum , looks like a good site for a Husqvarna guy like me

I did cut two more rounds off the stump today 

9duB0j8pTuK+CkYhiTdAWw.jpg

Not gonna lie, I spend 99% of my forum activity on OPE. Great site. You'll learn a ton if you want.

I agree with the others. Find a non-easystart recoil assembly and slap it on there. Also check the pawls on the flywheel, sometimes they break off or bend and they don't catch/catch and hold the rope out.

• Like 1

Got some more work done in my grillzebo today. All wood harvested in my back yard milled and cut to size. Supposed to be rough looking rustic. Tin to go on the roof and bar/tables between the end posts. Patio blocks around it. 

F7110717-955D-442C-812E-54F3190355AE.jpeg

• Like 5

On 3/24/2023 at 2:22 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I had the guy that owns the land next to us give me a Stihl MS180 with that easy start crap on it.  He'd loaned it out and the borrower ran it with the brake on, melted the plastic crankcase,

As a rule of thumb for me, since I started using saws about 14 years ago, I NEVER loan my saws to anyone, if they want something cut, I go with the saw and cut it for them. It's rated one of the most dangerous handheld tools in Ireland and giving one to somebody who hasn't a lot of experience can open up a can of worms.

They're also expensive pieces of kit so the last thing you want is it coming back with a chain ready to fall off and destroyed by someone cutting stones and soil with it!🤦‍♂️🤣 or in you guys cases, melted cases and much worse.

I once had a saw given to me that wouldn't start, I took the sprocket cpver off and the whole clutch assembly fell apart infront of me. It was an ms261 that my friend left with me when he moved to France. He said he couldn't get it to start at all. New clutch and sprocket was all that it required in the end and now it's my backup saw.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

As a rule of thumb for me, since I started using saws about 14 years ago, I NEVER loan my saws to anyone, if they want something cut, I go with the saw and cut it for them. It's rated one of the most dangerous handheld tools in Ireland and giving one to somebody who hasn't a lot of experience can open up a can of worms.

They're also expensive pieces of kit so the last thing you want is it coming back with a chain ready to fall off and destroyed by someone cutting stones and soil with it!🤦‍♂️🤣 or in you guys cases, melted cases and much worse.

I once had a saw given to me that wouldn't start, I took the sprocket cpver off and the whole clutch assembly fell apart infront of me. It was an ms261 that my friend left with me when he moved to France. He said he couldn't get it to start at all. New clutch and sprocket was all that it required in the end and now it's my backup saw.

I have a Husky 346XP, which is now discontinued in the US, but still available in most of the world.  It's a screaming little saw.  I had an ATV builder who also happens to be really into chainsaws offer to mod it for me to make it scream even more.  I told him that at my age stock was all I need, anything more I'd probably hurt myself LOL

But yeah, most people I see running saws around here are down in the dirt with them, abused, and with my 346 no longer being replaceable, it doesn't get loaned out.

• Like 3

It's the same here.... This happened before dale and Stacy moved in across the road ( thank goodness) best neighbors i have that close... Always call me via radio or cell just to check on me... Anyways before they moved in it was Dom (aka the fat russian) always wanting to borrow this or that... Told him I'm not in the buiness of loaning tools out... But i would JUST hand tools... He came up one day asked if could use my estwing hammer... I said i better get it back just as it is! DO NOT  make grooves file or mod it in anyway!  Because i use this to drive steepls in, and its perfect the way it came from the factory...while i was at my tool chest  he spots my o39 .... Asked could he (NOPE) before here finished his sentence .... Aw Boohoo he didnt care much for being around me after that, which was Jim dandy fine with me! As a rule i don't loan things out unless i know some of the history of said friend asking.... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I have a Husky 346XP, which is now discontinued in the US, but still available in most of the world.  It's a screaming little saw.  I had an ATV builder who also happens to be really into chainsaws offer to mod it for me to make it scream even more.  I told him that at my age stock was all I need, anything more I'd probably hurt myself LOL

But yeah, most people I see running saws around here are down in the dirt with them, abused, and with my 346 no longer being replaceable, it doesn't get loaned out.

Did you guys ever have a Husky 254xp over there? I learned to cut with one of those and it was an animal of a saw considering the size of it. As much as I'm an all Stihl guy, I wish I had one of those old Huskys.

25 minutes ago, Turbo Twister said:

Did you guys ever have a Husky 254xp over there? I learned to cut with one of those and it was an animal of a saw considering the size of it. As much as I'm an all Stihl guy, I wish I had one of those old Huskys.

This 450 is my first Husqvarna , it was doing great till the pull starter drive broke ----

I have a 350 that needs some work , needs all new fuel hoses ,  the tank and carb  cleaned , a new bar and chain ----  one day it might run again 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

I had to look that one up.  Looks like it was replaced with the 357XP around 2002.  Someone in the below thread mentioned another saw killed by the EPA.🤬

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/husqvarna-254xp-what-years-did-they-produce.82759/

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 11:39 PM, Fishfiles said:

This 450 is my first Husqvarna , it was doing great till the pull starter drive broke ----

I have a 350 that needs some work , needs all new fuel hoses ,  the tank and carb  cleaned , a new bar and chain ----  one day it might run again 

My first owned saw was a Stihl 026, the oil pump gave a lot of trouble early on (it was a second hand purchase) so I traded it in for a new MS260. That was a fantastic saw but I eventually gave it to a good friend of mine who was very badly stuck for a saw. He still has it and uses it.

Then i bought an MS390 which was a nice medium powered saw. It was later upgraded to an MS661 which I still have and use for milling and big timber cutting 25 inch plus. I have a 42 inch bar for it.

Last year I was given 3 saws by a friend who moved to Paris, an MS261, a Tanaka (not certain of model) and a Chinese top handle saw that is only good for filling a gap in a wall🤣

My pride and joy though is my MS201T top handle saw. It's my go to saw as its light enough to use daily, but strong enough to cut decent size timber without struggle.

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I had to look that one up.  Looks like it was replaced with the 357XP around 2002.  Someone in the below thread mentioned another saw killed by the EPA.🤬

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/husqvarna-254xp-what-years-did-they-produce.82759/

What I loved about that saw was how light it was and we'll balanced with a 14 inch bar. It was around the weight of an Ms230 but more powerful than an MS260. I find the huskys tend to cut quicker than a Stihl (new chain comparison) but they also run out of fuel a little sooner. I've tried many saws over the years but have always come back to Stihl, mainly because of dealership handiness and availability of parts.

1 hour ago, Turbo Twister said:

My first owned saw was a Stihl 026, the oil pump gave a lot of trouble early on (it was a second hand purchase) so I traded it in for a new MS260. That was a fantastic saw but I eventually gave it to a good friend of mine who was very badly stuck for a saw. He still has it and uses it.

Then i bought an MS390 which was a nice medium powered saw. It was later upgraded to an MS661 which I still have and use for milling and big timber cutting 25 inch plus. I have a 42 inch bar for it.

Last year I was given 3 saws by a friend who moved to Paris, an MS261, a Tanaka (not certain of model) and a Chinese top handle saw that is only good for filling a gap in a wall🤣

My pride and joy though is my MS201T top handle saw. It's my go to saw as its light enough to use daily, but strong enough to cut decent size timber without struggle.

My first saw was a Stihl 026 Farm Boss , bought it used , but in  almost perfect condition from a pawn shop , that my friend and his brother  use to own in New Orleans ---- I was working for Boh Brother Construction at the time and they were putting Interstate 510 thru New Orleans East , there is a grove of water oaks thru there , so every evening  after work I would fill up a trailer and truck bed full of wood as we had a fireplace , it split so easy and I was only taking the premium pieces , it was the most beautiful , good burning firewood , to this day it is  still the best firewood I have ever seen , I had so much wood that  I started selling it , I started cutting all weekend ---

I still had the Stihl when I moved here , but it had gotten old and beat up , was rebuildable , but I did not want to mess with it ,  so I gave it to a buddy and bought  cheapie Homelite which was good enough for what I needed -----then hurricanes took down some big trees here , I had a Husqvarna account so I went with them as the local Stihl dealer is the ACE hardware is a joke as I knew the guy  running it , he got run off and their Stihl section is first class now 

Stihl vs Husky the answer seems to be "whichever had a good dealer closest to you" is the answer. 

Here the local Stihl are the John Deere dealerships (owned by deere corporate) and an ACE hardware owned by an azzhole.

The Husky dealer is a local "True Value" hardware store, great people working there, and the manager is a magician working on saws, is well known in the tri-county area as such.

Dad has a NOS Husky 2100 that he bought back in the early 80's (surprise!) and a 372Xp.  I have the 346XP and the Stihl MS180, so we have a saw for every task.

And then of course Dad has the old Homelite XL that he initially put me on cutting this one up.  Only when the 16" bar would not meet cuts in the trunk did he begrudgingly get out the 372 and let me use it.

You also see the "splitter" that he let me use.  He has a new, never used splitter for the 3 point on the tractor, but "I don't know where the control box is, and you're getting fat so you need the exercise"

919_465921300117793_902225705_n.jpg

556851_465921030117820_1703858206_n.jpg

577809_382989771744280_948684661_n.jpg

• Haha 1

I took the Husqvarna OEM ( EZ-Start ) starter assembly apart , then took the after market ( standard start ) apart , swopped the drives around , to use the one without EZ-Start and it works --- so far so good , cut another 5 chunks off that stump in our yard , forgot to snap a pic 

cNJpzGcsQ%aZPXHVG7dIfA.jpg

JdxJ6ylMQ+aeytH%0hB0bg.jpg

• Like 2

I've spoke about the fiskars roterty stone sharpener..... Here lately I've been using two defrent type fiskars rotary sharpeners..... Both work the same but each one has a defrent type of material stone.... This model (pic) uses a smooth ceramic stone.... While the brother (2nd pic) user a more agressive ceramic..... .... I didn't really think this was a good idea being the axe heads are harder.... So my mistaken thinking ether would be too agressive was wrong, these sharpeners do an excellent job edging blades, my only problem is these stone are designed to be taken out but fiskars offers no replacement stones for ether.... Very pleased with the end results! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 4/28/2023 at 5:59 AM, Fishfiles said:

Well I tried this last week on my MS180.  Broke my recoil LOL

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well I tried this last week on my MS180.  Broke my recoil LOL

I didn't take that video as being a real thing !!! >>> I think it is one of them videos  that only a man who has been running faster than intelligence for a while would try , LOL