_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I've been doing some digging..... About the grandberg file and joint ..... Any of you fellas delt with one ?? 

Jeep.... I'd Almost bet money your father has one some place. 

Not the best video ..... But it seems to show how very versatile this jig is.... And no need to clamp the bar in a bench / solid mounted  vise. @01RUBY500 bet this thing would do a much better job then a grinder.... I know the price isn't bad at all! 

Hi Wilson: I have been using that file jig as in the video for over 30 years or more now -- works great.

• Like 2

On the splitter pressure gauge , I took a $5 - 90 degree 1/2 npt m  x # 8 jic m , drilled and tapped it 1/8 npt , ordered a one piece stainless hydraulic adaptor fitting for $9 to take the place of the two in the pic , as one in the pic is brass and no good for hydraulic pressure , just used it for a mock up , doing it this way I won't have to mess with the steel tube as the compression ferral fittings are more expensive then the whole set up cost --- I might want to stick a 45 at the gauge , won't I try it out ,  cause this splitter will go horizonal and vertical , it will be easy view in horizonal , which I mostly use , don't know how vertical is going to be ---so with the gauge it is going to be , right at $25 to pull off , $24.90 for a gauge , 90 and adaptor fitting , I could have saved $5 and used my old 90 

fullsizeoutput_b80.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b82.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Melatv said:

Hi Wilson: I have been using that file jig as in the video for over 30 years or more now -- works great.

Thank you, Mel. I've read these can be use for square teeth filing .... Along with filing down the depth gauges ..... (Believe there's a comment in that video) ..... This video was. Very impressive ... Maybe just a tad over kill with the mods, 

jeep, From what I've seen this jig.... Is no joke.... And i cut alot of fire wood... So I'm always looking for great performance, and that time saving edge.... Call me picky... Lol, and to be able to change the teeth cutting angles... Is a PLUS.

• Like 2

I've done a tad more research...... I haven't pulled the trigger yet..... One thing..... That stihl 2 n 1 file @retro turned me onto is golden! 

@Melatv is your model (granberg) the older g106a , or the updated g106b ? From what i gather,a deferent type knobs, and maybe a deferent type of metal/material .... 

Hi Wilson: The one I have is a Laser File-Rite -- only thing I find a problem with is the file is tightened with the thumb screws -- so the file is only being used on one side -- but I just rotate the file and lock the thumbs screws again.

• Like 2

I just picked up a 028 Super today on the auction site.  I have always wanted an 028.  I will get some picks of my saws when I get this one gets delivered.  

• Like 3

Well..... It's between the the laser file-rite l-144, and the granberg g-106b ..... No luck on finding the g-106a (old school).... Oregon, and stihl fg1 BOTH have too much plastic for my likes (along with very bad comments on plastic flexing) the stihl  fg3.<<< very pricey! And will not work with square teeth, BIG thanks for turning me onto the laser file-rite, Mel.

1st the pics are the laser file-rite, next... Is the g106b .. Last two are the stihl fg3 ...the others aren't worth posting

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Got the pressure gauge plumbed up.  Fit like it was made to go there.  Just enough room to swing the 90 fitting and the gauge.   Searched the net and found the specs for this Troy Built TB27LS and it says 3200 psi.  It is dead heading ( stroked out  ) at 2550 psi. Going leave it there till I find a log it won’t crack.   cracked a few oak chunks and if never even went past 1,000 psi.   

55DD7135-FFDF-4F96-9B92-CCFC8A3F33FD.jpeg

04AA21F7-FB46-49C3-A7A3-48225EC8FC0A.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks..... The 1st is just what i needed..... I might have something for you soon..... Let me do some digging..... And Just thinking here.... Do you ever use this one in vertical mode ? If you added an extention and a 90 degree elbow.... You could see in ether horizontal .... Or vertical mode ... Just an idea... Maybe even a 45 degree elbow.. Or..... Do those glycerin filled gauges need to stay up right ? 

It would probably get the job done. Your going to have short duty cycles (sharpen one direction and let it cool down to sharpen the other teeth) those cheap little motors get hot fast. I don't like the fixed head on it, I change those angles for different woods. If you plan on using it sparingly,  it would get the job done. If you plan on doing a bunch of chains you can find decent ones for around $100 that will last longer. I think mine cost me around $130 after I threw one of those cheaper ones in the trash (didnt even sharpen one chain). When I set up I do probably 10 chains at a time. 

I'd like see a close up view of the cutters sharpened by a grinder ......  I'm still dead set on free hand filling .... I don't see how one could get the gullet/hook right with a rotary disk ... I'd be all in if it works good .... And i deal mostly with green hard woods ......... Never had to touch my chain for a couple days of sawing, where as most around my area  do.. and ask me what i do to keep a sharp edge ... One thing is, saw high with your good chain, and low stump with your back up worn chain... There's alot of old trees with grown in fence/steeples..... My last load was a bodark..... That type is hard on a chain cutter 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah... I do .. But there's a catch with this model ..... And i made a spacer plate to solve this... Video ..... Mines the 35 ton to 40 ton model....it's largest one you can get without building one .... I've been thinking of another mod on this one ...and i can't stand the rust on my machine .... Lol, but these do not require lube on the slide.... I did anyways .... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for posting the video Wilson.  My machine is only 22 ton.  It will usually split anything.  The speed is my issue.  I'm sure this would help me.  But I would have to take it on and off.  

On February 7, 2020 at 7:47 AM, superrman77 said:

I still have a good bit of wood to split and I'm thinking it is time to upgrade my splitter.  I have the old mtd 6hp 22 ton splitter.  It is a good splitter.  It will split anything I put under it.  It is just slow as heck.  

Post a pic of the splitter ESPECALLY .... The wedge .... And log kickers ....

On 2/14/2020 at 11:40 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

I'd like see a close up view of the cutters sharpened by a grinder ......  I'm still dead set on free hand filling .... I don't see how one could get the gullet/hook right with a rotary disk ... I'd be all in if it works good .... And i deal mostly with green hard woods ......... Never had to touch my chain for a couple days of sawing, where as most around my area  do.. and ask me what i do to keep a sharp edge ... One thing is, saw high with your good chain, and low stump with your back up worn chain... There's alot of old trees with grown in fence/steeples..... My last load was a bodark..... That type is hard on a chain cutter 

image.jpg

Wilson, Here are some pictures of some cutters that I sharpened with my new grinder. Hope they are clear enough for you to see what you want. My chains cut like new chains again, a feat I have never been able to fully accomplish with my files. They are razor sharp. 

C8293FA8-AD1E-494B-89A9-8548F81BBA74.jpeg

F9E10332-F102-40EA-8350-C8E53358D148.jpeg

9EF4C4AD-AE84-4DEA-9ECF-6F22B11860E8.jpeg

055F04E0-EC7D-4C01-A76D-1DEB4A8400D3.jpeg

• Like 1

As promised here are some pics of my saws.  Top to bottom. 044, 028 Super Av, 009L, and Homelite Super 2.  I just bought the 028.  It has a 18 inch bar on it now and boy does it cut.  I can see why it is so popular.  I bought a 16inch bar for it.  I think I would have been better off getting another 18 inch chain instead.  

20200220_144758.jpg

• Like 2