_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

Well I started working on stacking that big pile today.  It's split a lot more than I thought lol.  Decided to get out the Honda Killer to help move the wood.  Gonna get at it again tomorrow.

20200222_141821.jpg

Edited by superrman77
  • Like 4

On February 18, 2020 at 8:24 PM, 01RUBY500 said:

Wilson, Here are some pictures of some cutters that I sharpened with my new grinder. Hope they are clear enough for you to see what you want. My chains cut like new chains again, a feat I have never been able to fully accomplish with my files. They are razor sharp. 

C8293FA8-AD1E-494B-89A9-8548F81BBA74.jpeg

F9E10332-F102-40EA-8350-C8E53358D148.jpeg

9EF4C4AD-AE84-4DEA-9ECF-6F22B11860E8.jpeg

055F04E0-EC7D-4C01-A76D-1DEB4A8400D3.jpeg

Here's a pic of my free hand filed cutter. When i get the granberg file, and joint .... I'll post more pics 

image.jpg

• Like 3

@superrman77 What  Brand/model splitter is that ?? I've never seen a wedge like, nor a clamp log stop.... Interesting setup! If thats an adjustable log stop..... We might be able to hook you up with a 4-way slip on wedge, just need a bit more information , and thank you for the pics ! 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Hooked up the wagon and got some maple that fell next door , couldn't find the right hitch for the wife's bike so  used a drop down hitch instead of a riser 

SjvODjwKSZaPXbrrY7ae3A.jpg

OCq3QaoMSqyfk1RQDRdA2w.jpg

• Like 3

good reminder I've got to get started soon....  update on the  granberg G106b  file and joint sharpener ... there was a hiccup due the virus out break .....  i ended placing an order for a not her one.... but.. because of the bug ... there's going to be a long delay before it gets here .... just have to deal with late arriving parts / items like everyone else does ....  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, superrman77 said:

Any of you guys run the Harbor Freight sharpener?  The reviews seems to be positive on it.  

i got one, i like it. i read later, you should get the oil out of the chain first. makes sense. that way it dont end up on the grinding wheel.

i fastened mine to a length of 2x6, i did have the clamps to fasten the length of 2x6 where i wanted. i dont like to sharpen every link in a chain, to the same width, so mine is flexible. it is good to know the pitch, an angle, of the cut you want. it has some adjustments, so you dont cut too deep. for the price, i'd buy another one, or at least buy the parts to fix mine.

it just works on the cutting part of the links. there is more to a cutting link, i think. for lack of better words, i'l call it a skip. it dont do that. maybe it could be set up so. skips can be made to cut deeper, of the links that cut wood.

Edited by LedFTed

longest bar i got is 16".  is it that important?, teeth length. [scrapers], is that what they are called? always good to learn.

I burn about 2 cord year and oil, cut it on my back 8, do it usually in a 5 day strecth every  spring. Always kicks my ! for another 4 days afterward. Burn a big ole Warner stove set in my fireplace which takes a 39” chunk, dont have to split much of it can throw a pretty good size chunk in the big mouth, heats the whole house up and down , when its full though gota sit on the front porch it gets so frigin hot in livin room, only go through about 400 gal fuel oil though and winters are pretty cold this neck of the woods! Always say aint gona burn wood this year, then I look at the price of oil and out to the back 8 i go!!

gotaa Johnsered 2165 Turbo saw 18” bar and a Craftsman limb saw, split it all with my 13# sledge and mail, good thing I dont have to split a whole lot swingin that 13 pounder but one shot pops most!

0791E066-6040-49C3-A359-70CD234AE0F4.png

06742482-DC8D-4F92-A887-60D7ED55AA36.jpeg

6D6CD1CF-9B0C-4E0E-B5ED-BA578DFCB378.jpeg

0AB5E18F-1F01-4EAD-9154-02EF9F53F721.jpeg

42 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

i got one, i like it. i read later, you should get the oil out of the chain first. makes sense. that way it dont end up on the grinding wheel.

i fastened mine to a length of 2x6, i did have the clamps to fasten the length of 2x6 where i wanted. i dont like to sharpen every link in a chain, to the same width, so mine is flexible. it is good to know the pitch, an angle, of the cut you want. it has some adjustments, so you dont cut too deep. for the price, i'd buy another one, or at least buy the parts to fix mine.

it just works on the cutting part of the links. there is more to a cutting link, i think. for lack of better words, i'l call it a skip. it dont do that. maybe it could be set up so. skips can be made to cut deeper, of the links that cut wood.

We can still get the pro logger chains here from our local small engine shop, they dont have any rakers on them which are anti kickback safety chains, the logger chains cut fast and deep, still file by hand which my old man tought me to do when I was about 12 and the chain throws out 5” ribbons but it cuts really fast, but gota watch it cause them ligger chains will kick back if ya dont have a death grip on the saw!

Yep, Ted .... keep those teeth the same ... a miss match causes a curved cut ... and is just dangerous ... trust me been there done it... 

have you ever looked into the stihl two in file ? they work great ... it's still hand sharpening ... but that 2 in one will also keep the debth gauges in check. 

my full skips are basically like that. no issues sawing bodark all day long with one sharpening....that's about the hardest meanest hard wood around here ... 

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

my full skips are basically like that. no issues sawing bodark all day long with one sharpening....that's about the hardest meanest hard wood around here ... 

Sawed up some Osage Orange [bodark] for my dad in law a few years ago, swore to God it was so hard I saw sparks!

• Like 1

We have been talking about getting our fireplace fixed as the flue is cracked, or so the chimney sweep told us years ago. We had a working fireplace growing up until my parents got gas logs. I really miss it and have an endless supply of wood around me. 

Sawed up some Osage Orange [bodark] for my dad in law a few years ago, swore to God it was so hard I saw sparks

lol! you probably did... i have seen mine spark... one ... you gotta to admit ... that's some real good hot burning firewood.. best i have ever used from around here ... 

image.jpg

Back doing a little cutting today, these logs were stuck in a bunch of brush. I had to clean the junk to get these pulled out.  Nice to have my 4WD 450 to pull them out to make cutting up easier...

Logs.jpg

• Like 4

I got something new to me for the outside fire pit , stopped at the flea market yesterday and my go to guy had a firewood ring , gave it a quick clean up and hit it with some primer , a lot nice that what I got on the patio 

hzpjkT9LRj27na1FJ4a4Ag.jpg

• Like 4