_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

Lot of info and those sites -----

what about that late night  TV Gizmo , that you clamp on the end of the bar and spin the blade to sharpen the chain , would think it is a gimmick ? 

• Like 1

I've seen that gizmo.... I would trust it.... Apparently Oregon does make one, but according to this vid, chine junk has a cheepo copy,that requires  a specail type chain (non pro grade) ill be looking into this more tonight, my thought? Go with old school round files, stay clear of the chainsaw doctor, go with the stihl 2 in 1 file system! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the original Oregon  kit it requires a specail Oregon bar, and chain..... Looks light  duty to me.

i wouldn't have it.

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Nothing works faster or better in the woods than a 2-in1, IMO. They're dummy-proof.

• Like 3

Plus 1 ^^ you never have to remove the chain, just make sure she's TIGHT (no side to side teeth shift) on the bar,then a couple hits,(then slack the chain off some) and your good to go, also .... It's a good idea to flip the bar from time to time, and file the outside of the chain bar guide,the test i use.... If i can slide  my fingers down the naked bar, and get cuts, time for a dressing.

so many people do not do bar maintenance ..... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 3

I figured that sharpener to be a gimmick 

I have cut myself bad by running my finger down the naked bar , wouldn't  do that again , a visual inspection is adequate for me  ----- I grease the tip bearing of my bars , and will run a scraper tool I have to clean out the bars chain guide slot when I change the chain and I know about flipping the bar and use good bar oil -----

we use to rent chainsaws at the rental house I worked at , Shindiawa was the brand , they seemed pretty tuff , cause at a rental house customers don't take care of anything and abuse it , when the rental house was sold , the company that bought them out wasn't into small equipment , just machinery , I got most of the stuff that was used to service and maintenance the saws , it was Oregon stuff , about 20 assorted new and used bars and chains , two  rolls of different size chain and a electric grinder wheel sharpener on a miter box looking table , I keep it for many years , cluttering up my shed and never really used it , sold everything that I couldn't use for cheap  

I am going to call the Husqvarna dealer today and see if he is going to be open , and if he is open , go get me a new saw , today is Black Friday , maybe he will have  a deal ----- yesterday we had a fire all day , son in law was over and I had him using that Chopper ax and splitting some pine , he was liking it and done a nice pile   

• Like 3

Don't forget to buy ya some good Red syn oil and mix it at 32:1 (4 ounces per gallon non-ethanol gas), for your new saw while you're there. We need pics too... don't forget.

• Like 2

I used to run Amsoil 2 stroke oil at 100:1 when I was using the saw a lot. Never had any problems. Most call for 50:1, 32:1 be a bit rich for most of them I’d think.

if I was going today to buy a new saw it would probably be a 550XP or another 562XP, some people don’t care for it but I always liked the auto tune one them. 

• Like 3

I just tried to call the Husqvarna dealer and I have his cell number , he didn't answer either number , left him a message ----he is English  from the UK  and Sam was just saying on another thread that they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK , his site says they open at 8: 00 , maybe he don't open to 9:00 day after a holiday LOL ---- I did take a look at his saws on line , didn't see the model I was looking for and I think I can bet his advertised prices on line 

fullsizeoutput_ada.thumb.jpeg.85571368181020b47ae206721704b36c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_adb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_adc.jpeg

• Sad 1

My only gripe with 50cc saws is no full wrap handle. Most guys around here don’t like them it’s a western thing but I really got used to them and really like them. I miss it on my 346. Heated carb and handle was a nice feature in the winter too. What exact model are you looking for @Fishfiles?

Mac , the 346 seems about the right size for me , I seen them for $400 on the net , my dealer must be closed today as they still are not answering 

Didn't mean to post twice... Wanted to edit instead, my bad.

Edited by machinecrook
Derp... Quoted my post instead of editting
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't wait to get back to cutting. Renos took me away from the woods for a while. I'll let the wife pay the electricity bills this winter as we only have 9 cords of wood. That way she will send me off to the woods so she doesn't have to spend so much next year 😉

I should go down this weekend and knock a few down while making a trail. Get 2 birds stoned at once (Trailer Park Boys reference). Hardest part for me is bringing the wood back home; no truck yet... Man I miss being down in the woods.

Edited by machinecrook
  • Like 2

The EPA is the reason why saw manufacturers specify 50:1 ratio premix. For many years the same saw models sold in the US and Canada were specified to run 32:1 in Europe and most other overseas countries/regions. Some countries still do not require 50:1 and manufacturers still say 32:1 for models sold in those countries. So 50:1 is a govcorp scam. A 15,000 RPM 2 stroke requires high quality ashless 32:1 oil for maximum life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, retro said:

The EPA is the reason why saw manufacturers specify 50:1 ratio premix. For many years the same saw models sold in the US and Canada were specified to run 32:1 in Europe and most other overseas countries/regions. Some countries still do not require 50:1 and manufacturers still say 32:1 for models sold in those countries. So 50:1 is a govcorp scam. A 15,000 RPM 2 stroke requires high quality ashless 32:1 oil for maximum life.

When Shindaiwa was still around, near the end EPA required their carbs to be modified. Couldn'T adjust the highspeed after that which basically made them run like crap after a while.

The one I have now is a Shindaiwa 488; runs awesome!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Mac , the 346 seems about the right size for me , I seen them for $400 on the net , my dealer must be closed today as they still are not answering 

They haven't made the 346 in years, the 550 is what replaced it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, retro said:

They held up fine to light pro use with 100:1 Amsoil (the 357/562/372), but now that my saw sees really minimal use if I'm honest it's probably getting mixed a lot closer to 32:1 than anything. I never used the 346 for work, they actually wouldn't allow it because of the half wrap bar, for Oil and Gas work out there it needs to have full wrap. Anyway, fun fact we have an old Husq 51 here on the farm that's mostly only ever had 15w40 mixed with it for 2 stroke oil and bar oil too most of the time LOL, thing is 30 years old and still going strong. But doesn't turn up near the RPM's the 346 does either.

• Like 3

Wilson , here is a107917957_3elglczR2Kl9efRxtkJA.thumb.jpg.cbe2eeafeae3bd5a74d63998ae6b64cc.jpg pic of 3 of the pines I want to take out along the fence , the other ones going the other way are going to be hard as there is nowhere to drop them , the one in the middle is the one that is broke off 40 ft up , the other two are leaning into the neighbors property 

jfnEDrMQT02pqv9XoWhJyA.jpg

I got a 346 right after they discontinued them. Didn’t want “auto” anything on a chainsaw. 

Guy had two on the shelf. After running mine for a couple of months I called him and asked if he’d give me the same deal on his other one, and he said no. Waited another week and decided it was worth his marked price and he’d sold it during that week, 

Love the 346. Fish if you look around you might be able to find a nos unit sitting on the shelf at a small town Husky dealer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retro said:

Interesting. I always run a little heavier than 50:1. I figure spark plugs are cheap and I’d rather be over lubricated than under.

• Like 1

@Fishfiles You should be fine, (I'd still cut them high) after all they are in a line. Sure sign they could have a fence line growed in.

glad you fellas brought up these EPA issues, that's one main issue why i won't purchase a new saw. Kind of burns me as to what that mess has caused,  mine requires 50:1 . I mix mine MUCH richer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I got a 346 right after they discontinued them. Didn’t want “auto” anything on a chainsaw. 

Guy had two on the shelf. After running mine for a couple of months I called him and asked if he’d give me the same deal on his other one, and he said no. Waited another week and decided it was worth his marked price and he’d sold it during that week, 

Love the 346. Fish if you look around you might be able to find a nos unit sitting on the shelf at a small town Husky dealer

I thought the same thing when I bought the 562XP, everyone said it would be nothing but trouble. But I never once had an issue out of it in the 7 years I owned the saw and it ran better than any regular carbed saw I ever owned. Never had to mess with it (not that I could) just ran perfect every time, hot or cold. 

• Like 1

I still need to do away with the blocks on my adjustment screws so I can get a complete adjustment out of them. It's bad enough that I have to have a kit of different drivers to adjust all the different screws they use and then they block it so you can only do so much. They plug them on the carb 4 wheeler also so it's more work to do a 2 second adjustment. I guess the people in suits know more than the people in the field, like these junk - fire hazard gas cans we have now.

• Like 2