_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

sledd, you outdid yourself ... lol ...just need a broom / dust pan and ... as you said .... this tile floor had most likely been there over 20 years .. ash won't hurt a thing, but make a small mess. pretty sure in all those years it's also had hot embers ... lay on it for a short time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

it looks great like it is , glad you didn't paint it !!! 

agreed .... sure has a more classic iron stove burner look. 

• Like 2

YOu have any tricks for moving that down stairs Sled? I have to move a similarly heavy object UP stairs this weekend.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

YOu have any tricks for moving that down stairs Sled? I have to move a similarly heavy object UP stairs this weekend.

Well here’s what I did. But, I got it to the stairs and unhooked the cart and slid down my 6 stairs like a sled and then yanked it into the basement. Then picked it back up with the hand cart. 
If I did it again I’d have a horizontal strap around the bottom of the stove and cart and use the wheels to ease it down each step like hauling a barrel of beer down stairs. Mine rig worked good for two guys. Three would have been in the way and myself would have lost it down the stairs. 
going up is a different animal.  I suggest putting a hole in your roof and renting a crane. 
realistically if you have room, I’d rig up a ramp and winch it/come-along up the stairs. But I don’t know your situation. 

45C5ACCC-C47B-4833-ADE6-9A130C6FDD23.jpeg

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

Ever tried out a lifting strap before?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shoulder-Dolly-ShoulderDolly-12-ft-L-x-5-in-W-Moving-Straps-for-items-up-to-800-Lb-LD1000/204726780

My wife and I basically moved our entire household just the two of us with these. Multiple dressers and other heavy stuff. I know it can lift a lot but this may be over its capability. They are great though.

Thanks guys. Have 2 large toolboxes to move up a full flight of stairs. Looking for ideas. Hoping to get the weight way down by removing drawers and the wood tops. Should be able to kind of flip it over and slide it...but those straps might be good. 

Funny you mention a crane. My brother is in GA for a month with his service truck. It has a large crane on it. He'll be coming back through here in November. Thought about having him lift them through the window! 

you should be fine with ... sleds idea ... just move one at a time ... no need to make it complecated, just watch that foot.

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

you should be fine with ... sleds idea ... just move one at a time ... no need to make it complecated, just watch that foot.

Yah, its coming and going from how good it is. Hoping for the best when we go to move them upstairs!

• Like 1

good deal.... just like fish said in another post these foot problems seem to be an on going  issue ... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

I put a 74 gallon water heater in the basement when right before I married my wife.  With two pre-teen daughters and the wife, I knew they'd be killing each other for hot water.

I got @basfnb and his twin brother to move that big SOB down the stairs.  I made a feeble attempt to act like I was helping, but they always just tell me to GTFO of the way, and I do.  They're both 6' 4" so when someone short tries to help them carry something it throws them off LOL.

My stairs are curved so it was a PITA to get that thing down there.  I'll probably sawzall it to pieces to get it back up the stairs.

Dad and i got a bunch of old cast iron radiators from an old building uptown.  Some of the 16 row probably weighted 500lb+.  We put them on a two wheeled dolly and clunked them down the stairs, one at a time.  Luckily the place had high steps leading down to the street, so we were able to run them across boards into the back of the truck. 

Those dang radiators are taking up the back 1/4 of my shop......

• Like 1

jeep you should show these guys your heating system ... i can't find that post in the old forums .... when you had an air bubble issue ? but very impressed with the setup! my aunt, and uncle had two small ones upstairs in their house. 

On 10/15/2020 at 8:59 PM, sled_22 said:

Well here’s what I did. But, I got it to the stairs and unhooked the cart and slid down my 6 stairs like a sled and then yanked it into the basement. Then picked it back up with the hand cart. 
If I did it again I’d have a horizontal strap around the bottom of the stove and cart and use the wheels to ease it down each step like hauling a barrel of beer down stairs. Mine rig worked good for two guys. Three would have been in the way and myself would have lost it down the stairs. 
going up is a different animal.  I suggest putting a hole in your roof and renting a crane. 
realistically if you have room, I’d rig up a ramp and winch it/come-along up the stairs. But I don’t know your situation. 

45C5ACCC-C47B-4833-ADE6-9A130C6FDD23.jpeg

When we moved ours we took off the doors and any other removable heavy parts and firebrick. My son and I picked it up and carried it. I don't know why you would want to fight all the extra weight by hauling it in fully assembled like that.

Edited by PROV

12 hours ago, PROV said:

When we moved ours we took off the doors and any other removable heavy parts and firebrick. My son and I picked it up and carried it. I don't know why you would want to fight all the extra weight by hauling it in fully assembled like that.

I did that too. This was just a picture showing how I rigged it up. Doors lid and ash grate. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

That would be awesome in a fixed cutting spot, wonder what gear cuts best, 2nd or 3rd...

• Like 1

Well I had a long days work but put over a cord on some pallets. Beautiful day to cut wood. 32 degrees and little wind. The saw sure ran good. 

E9E17E44-2A63-407B-A13D-A9DD1AC4EDF0.jpeg

• Like 4

This is a stove at the flea market , I always read about you guys and the stoves , seems like a nice one , my buddy told me $300 , might could get him to $250 , $275 for sure , what you think , good one ? 

vxRSttq8RBGJibx2fH0y6g.jpg

SvSjNbAUTnua8sZCUQEMTA.jpg

32 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@sled_22that's a nice rack of wood, what size stihl is in the pic ? 

It’s a ms290 early 2000s. Muffler modded. She Rips pretty good. 

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

This is a stove at the flea market , I always read about you guys and the stoves , seems like a nice one , my buddy told me $300 , might could get him to $250 , $275 for sure , what you think , good one ? 

vxRSttq8RBGJibx2fH0y6g.jpg

SvSjNbAUTnua8sZCUQEMTA.jpg

I bet that sucker is heavy and you’ll have lots of wire brushing to do too. I’ve heard of those squires and Seen one in my neighbors cabin. They sure looks nice and out of heat. Nice flat top too. 
I sure love being able to feed wood in mine through the top though. 

• Like 1

thanks sled .... it's got a plus 18 inch  bar ? muffler mod ? deleted spark screen ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™