_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

he's not far of on the price .... it looks to be an antique, would be a good setup in the shop, you put good use to some of those of those tall standing trees around your place plus... that property you go riding on, bet there's plenty of downed trees .. the owner wouldn't mind seeing gone (two birds with one stone) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

he's not far of on the price .... it looks to be an antique, would be a good setup in the shop, you put good use to some of those of those tall standing trees around your place plus... that property you go riding on, bet there's plenty of downed trees .. the owner wouldn't mind seeing gone (two birds with one stone) 

I got no place  to put it inside , thought of it outside on the patio , maybe cook on top of it sometimes , mostly just for looks and heat  ----it does look pretty cool , would need sand blasting 

14 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I bet that sucker is heavy and you’ll have lots of wire brushing to do too. I’ve heard of those squires and Seen one in my neighbors cabin. They sure looks nice and out of heat. Nice flat top too. 
I sure love being able to feed wood in mine through the top though. 

I tried to left one side and it is solid and heavy , Andy told me 4 of them took it off the truck , if it were $100 I would be all over it 

i like that idea .... it sure would help on the gas, and electric cooking bill... i bet you could even mod it to put a touch of smoke flavor in the food ? do y'all have hickory trees down that way ? 

26 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

thanks sled .... it's got a plus 18 inch  bar ? muffler mod ? deleted spark screen ? 

Yesterday it was still stock with 16” bar. Since I now can heat the house I could justify some money into it. Just put the 20” bar and new chain then did the muffler mod and cranked up the fuel. It’s like a new 65 cc saw but still just a 56.5cc. 
I’ll probably keep adjusting it a bit and run it border line hot so when she blows I can drop a ms390 top end in it. 

• Like 1

full skip, full chisel ? or semi ship, i use a full skip square tooth round cut chisel. do you hand file ? (free hand) 

Edited by _Wilson_™

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

full skip, full chisel ? or semi ship, i use a full skip square tooth round cut chisel. do you hand file ? (free hand) 

Full chisel no skip. Let-r-rip. Saw does good. I use the stihl chains. I hand file, I was using just a round file but just bought one of those fancy stihl files that take the rakers down too as needed. Works phenomenally. Wish I’d bought one years ago. Brought back a few of my 16” chains to new like cutting. 

• Like 1

oh yes, i run only stihl chains .... i have a several models all square tooth round file chisels ... full ship, semi skip , and the standard  i had to specail order all of them... are you talking about the two in one stihl file ? 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Yup that’s exactly what I’ve been using. I think it’s great so far. Fixed up a lot of my old chains I didn’t have sharpened real well. 

• Like 3

yeah @retro turned me onto those ... by far the best file I've ever used ... I've been looking at some of these bar, and chain type files @Melatv uses a type like these .... a deferent brand i believe ... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Needed some storage for wood in the basement before I get a hole cut in for a wood chute. So I went to menards and whipped up a pine wood box. Should save a trip in and out every other day and clean up the hearth.  

2ED1D7B7-678F-4B96-B563-38859C5B30F7.jpeg

1E8701CF-7B1F-4533-AC3C-FCC5D988C1E3.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TBRider said:

Nice work, I burn too much wood for a box like that....,

I think with this filled up it’ll last us a week at a time. An armful a day usually for me, or three 5 gallon buckets for the wife haha. 

Edited by sled_22

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

any plans to stain the wood box ? maybe even add a coating of varnish .. after the staining, fish and @Turbo Twisterdoes alot with wood working, bet they would have some cool ideas. 

Not a lot these days unfortunately! Fractured a rib on site last week so I'm laid up for a few weeks😓

@sled_22 the box looks much better stained in my opinion, nice find!

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah it looks good stained. Plus a couple coats of poly brushed on thick should help hold up against firewood for a few years. Cost about $75 to make. Took me 30 minutes picking through the pine at menards to find enough wood semi straight enough though. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

Not a lot these days unfortunately! Fractured a rib on site last week so I'm laid up for a few weeks😓

man sorry to hear this ... hope you get better soon.