_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

41 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Anyone ever bought a disassembled kit and put a saw together???

I have put one together. It came disassembled because it was cheaper to buy like that as well.

Pretty sure this site is the distributor for "Holzfforma" (Say it quick and with a growl and your buddy might think you said Husky)

The one I built is the MS660 clone. The G660. Still a beast today and that was a few years ago.

If you buy 10x they are something like 180 bucks a piece but one at a time they are only ~$300. I'm sure they are not actually "commercial" saws but we use the big saws so infrequently that I wouldn't be able to speak on running it everyday for a long time.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I did quite a bit of reading on the Hutzl version of that.

https://www.farmertec.com/Saw-Repair-Kits-c2971.html

372XP for about $230 shipped.

https://www.farmertec.com/Complete-Repair-Parts-HUSQVARNA-365-362-371-372-372XP-ENGINE-MOTOR-CRANKCASE-CYLINDER-PISTON-CRANKSHAFT-CHAINSAW-p225726.html

I had a buddy give me a cheap Stihl (MS180C) that he'd loaned out and someone ran it with the brake on and melted the plastic case.  I bought replacement parts from Hutzl and fixed it.  Kind of a crappy saw, but it will make a good ATV beater saw or loaner, so I can keep my 346XP safe.

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

I have put one together. It came disassembled because it was cheaper to buy like that as well.

Pretty sure this site is the distributor for "Holzfforma" (Say it quick and with a growl and your buddy might think you said Husky)

The one I built is the MS660 clone. The G660. Still a beast today and that was a few years ago.

If you buy 10x they are something like 180 bucks a piece but one at a time they are only ~$300. I'm sure they are not actually "commercial" saws but we use the big saws so infrequently that I wouldn't be able to speak on running it everyday for a long time.

Ack, beat me to it.  LOL

After reading into those kits a little more i'm skeptical as not one part in the kit is OEM. I'm sure it would work fine but i'd almost rather have a older saw with a scored engine in good cosmetic shape and just rebuild the top end. Sounds like the kits are packaged together when an order is placed to so there's typically missing parts as i'm sure it is someone walking around with a check list, throwing parts in a box.

I'll just wait for a good deal elsewhere.

On another note, i've been watching some of these guys videos. Pretty neat video here of them square filing a saw with performance gains.

• Like 3

Here's something interesting for all of us mechanically inclined chaps... You can buy an entire repair kit for an MS360 for half the price of a new saw. Anyone ever bought a disassembled kit and put a saw together???

https://www.hlsproparts.com/product-p/cs36020a.htm

id stay clear of those kits. 

After reading into those kits a little more i'm skeptical as not one part in the kit is OEM. I'm sure it would work fine but i'd almost rather have a older saw with a scored engine in good cosmetic shape and just rebuild the top end. Sounds like the kits are packaged together when an order is placed to so there's typically missing parts as i'm sure it is someone walking around with a check list, throwing parts in a box.I'll just wait for a good deal elsewhere.

i did ask my friend at ace, a while back, he advised me.... these are not oem... no where close to the real dependable stihl saw, he Purdy much said the same as you did, packaged up when ordered with missing non oem parts, in other words, not worth the money or hassle. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Thanks 1

They're absolutely not OEM parts.

They aren't as good as OEM.

But they're cheap, and they're functional, so for example, if I wanted to build a beater 372XP to leave at hunting camp, to preserve my genuine Husky 372XP, then these are an option.

Or for those who just want to tinker

Not a substitute, but would be ok as a supplemental saw.

• Like 1

agreed, I'd like to see one of the kit saws in action .... for myself, it would be a 1st here, i very much doubt they would hold up very long. 

Stihl ms290 muffler mod. est. 20-25% power increase. message me for details. (short story, drill the muffler and make the cap look like this)

E29E57D1-DF76-4869-AE2E-533F6247FDC4.jpeg

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

agreed, I'd like to see one of the kit saws in action .... for myself, it would be a 1st here, i very much doubt they would hold up very long. 

Here's some in-depth testing with some minor "upgrades" using OEM parts to replace some of the iffy-er china parts.

Again, something more for a project oriented person than an "I built an awesome saw cheap"

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/ARFSAW-Let-s-build-a-Chainsaw-/5-2037519/

11 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Stihl ms290 muffler mod. est. 20-25% power increase. message me for details. (short story, drill the muffler and make the cap look like this)

E29E57D1-DF76-4869-AE2E-533F6247FDC4.jpeg

I see people doing this to some of the XP Huskys like mine. 

Guess you just bore out the muffler for more flow?  Assuming you'd have to do some carb adjustment to compensate? 

eh, china saw is all you had to say, that's enough to turn me away, how often do we hear some of these guys going with the cheep china mess, only to have it fail, in a very short time ? i reckon it would be fine as a beater saw, but, I'd rather have the real stihl deal, can't say I'd be very happy going to the field all loaded and set to cut wood, then having it fail, because of low quality cheep parts... cheep china parts just doesn't set well with me, i know I'd never use them if i could go oem. 

thanks for the link

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Here's the thread that i kind of followed.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=44550.0

you have to remove (at least on the stihl) limiter caps in the carb adjusters. Otherwise you can't add enough fuel.

Then when i got the low RPM running decent, i turned the high side up to around 2 turns out. Then running at full throttle, i took fuel away until it just started to quit "gargling" on fuel. It was only about 1/3 a turn. At that point it was running excellent. Then to be sure, since there was no load on the saw, i turned up the high side fuel just a bit more... so i'm probably 1 3/4 turns out. It burps/gargles just a little when WOT and no load but with a load in a log it runs spot on. My spark plus right now after about 3 tanks is pretty black so it could be leaned out a bit.

• Like 1

On November 5, 2020 at 12:27 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

macs  used to be very popular around here, but there's are no dealers anywhere close. so stihl, just took over as top dog., as for husk, some places carry them, but i just never gave husk a thought, my grandfather, passed his older stihl down, to me, and that's just what i stuck with, but i see guys here talking more, and more about what a good brand saw they are, so i might give them a shot , and use the 039 a lot more like a back up.

If you do get a Husky, get an XP.  The homeowner saws aren't worth a crap anymore.

thanks jeep, the reason I'm thinking the 365 is the bigger cc plant, im used to running a bigger heavy well built old school saws like my 039, and the 365 is a close match so far, i wouldn't have one of those small cc toy saws.. just junk IMO, plus mines got over 20 years, and has never been wrenched on. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

I bought a new chainsaw! (Yes I know, its only an 18v battery saw) but in my defense, I have an MS661 for milling and a 201T for medium/small cutting.

I haven't used it yet but I got it for construction site work as we can't use petrol chainsaws on site. Ideal for cutting 9x3's (3x9's for some of you guys!)

I also got my winch installed with a second battery hooked direct to the bike battery, it fits perfectly in the toolbox at the back of the bike along with the solenoid and winch control.

20201106_185928.jpg

• Like 2

On October 24, 2020 at 4:54 PM, Turbo Twister said:

Not a lot these days unfortunately! Fractured a rib on site last week so I'm laid up for a few weeks😓

we haven't seen you in a while till this morning, so figured you were still dealing with those fractured ribs, glad you dropped in, and be sure to post updates on the dewalt saw. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

we haven't seen you in a while till this morning, so figured you were still dealing with those fractured ribs, glad you dropped in, and be sure to post updates on the dewalt saw. 

Yeah, I've been laying low the past few weeks, work has been quite stressful and I have just gone back on my tools after dropping project management, I'd prefer to be physically working rather than doing emails and organising jobs etc. It was an interesting experience but not for me, not at the moment anyway. 

I got around to making a proper work bench in my shed over the weekend, I picked up a hobby size bandsaw and completely rejigged the layout for storing all my planks.

I plan do make some bespoke furniture over the winter months, now that the day job is less stressy!

20201108_204218.jpg

• Like 3

for you guys who like the antique old school saws, this one got my attention. 109 cc 

MANUFACTURED BY: HOMELITE CORPORATION, PORT CHESTER, NEW YORK, U.S.A.

SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:26-LCS
YEAR INTRODUCED:August 1951
YEAR DISCONTINUED:August 1953
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:6.63 cu. in. (109cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:1
CYLINDER BORE:2.375 in. (60mm)
PISTON STROKE:1.50 in. (37mm)
CYLINDER TYPE:Chrome plated aluminum
INTAKE METHOD:Rotary valve
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:4
WEIGHT :27 lbs. powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION:One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM:Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE:none
CLUTCH:Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE:Gilmer belt reduction 2.75:1
CONSTRUCTION:Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE:Wico
CARBURETOR:Tillotson MD-56A
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:nla
MINOR REPAIR KIT:nla
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:Skinner ribbon element
STARTER TYPE:Homelite ball drive automatic rewind
OIL PUMP:Manual
OPERATING RPM:4200, rotary governor
IGNITION TIMING:fixed
BREAKER POINT SETTING:.020 in.
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:fixed
SPARK PLUG TYPE:Champion HO-8A (can sub J6)
SPARK PLUG GAP:.025 in.
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS:Ball and caged roller types
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:47 oz. (1.39 litres)
FUEL OIL RATIO:10:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE:Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION:SAE 30
CHAIN PITCH:9/16 in., .5625 in (14.2mm)
CHAIN TYPE:Oregon 4C or 4L
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:18 in (45cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:60 in. (152cm)
COLOUR SCHEME:Homelite Red with Black cylinder shroud

image.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

for you guys who like the antique old school saws, this one got my attention. 109 cc 

image.jpg

Thats just a beast

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

I bought a new chainsaw! (Yes I know, its only an 18v battery saw) but in my defense, I have an MS661 for milling and a 201T for medium/small cutting.

I haven't used it yet but I got it for construction site work as we can't use petrol chainsaws on site. Ideal for cutting 9x3's (3x9's for some of you guys!)

I also got my winch installed with a second battery hooked direct to the bike battery, it fits perfectly in the toolbox at the back of the bike along with the solenoid and winch control.

20201106_185928.jpg

My cousin has one of these. They are pretty hand for small stuff but don’t start limbing a tree and turn to the battery saw afterwards or you’ll be disappointed. At least I was. But to have around the house or on the quad for shooting lane and what not, they’re super nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Turbo Twister said:

My brother has one of those(20V one...not sure what yours is). I have used it. Its plumb scary. No 'burble' of a 2 stroke to warn you of the danger. He leaves it laying in the bed of his UTV when he's out on his property to cut limbs/deadfall back to clear trails. I have used it to try to trim some vines. May still buy one for very small work. 

Brother did say he got carried away one day and started cutting some larger log with it. I think he was cutting it to length to split it. Said it took forever and he said 'f-it' and went to the garage and got his monster Stihl....it gnawed through everything in the time it took the little dewalt to do one cut.

So they are good, just gotta know their place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

My wrists and arms hurt just looking at it! 😆 😳

image.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sled_22 said:

My cousin has one of these. They are pretty hand for small stuff but don’t start limbing a tree and turn to the battery saw afterwards or you’ll be disappointed. At least I was. But to have around the house or on the quad for shooting lane and what not, they’re super nice.

As mentioned before on a page way back in this thread, I have petrol saws for their place, I got this one for site work as we cannot use petrol saws on some sites. I cut some beech beams with it yesterday and it was cutting quite well. It is great for anything up to about 6 inch diameter. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

My brother has one of those(20V one...not sure what yours is). I have used it. Its plumb scary. No 'burble' of a 2 stroke to warn you of the danger. He leaves it laying in the bed of his UTV when he's out on his property to cut limbs/deadfall back to clear trails. I have used it to try to trim some vines. May still buy one for very small work. 

Brother did say he got carried away one day and started cutting some larger log with it. I think he was cutting it to length to split it. Said it took forever and he said 'f-it' and went to the garage and got his monster Stihl....it gnawed through everything in the time it took the little dewalt to do one cut.

So they are good, just gotta know their place.

Yeah, I don't like the lack of noise start up like a patrol saw, I actually thought there was a problem with it initially as it won't start up when the chain brake is on, not even a noise! It's a bit bulky on weight with a flexvolt battery but it lasted nearly an hour with cutting which to me, is impressive.

18v here is the same as your 20v there, just named differently.