_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

Keep an eye on them at your area walmarts.  I got mine for about $15

Brickseek has been wonky the last few days.  Wonder if they're blocking it with Black Friday coming up to keep shoppers from being bigger aholes than usual.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=367115061

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=41079485

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=367115061

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=48687817

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that was a great deal! didnt you get the fiskars isocore 8 lbs maul ? 751110-1003, or 1004 

Yep, I got a maul too.  I haven't used it much, but thus far I don't care for it.  Prefer the old wedges and a sledge to break up the billets, then the X27 to split the smaller chunks.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=50812453

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=50199305

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=591962717

well, lol i was going to ask how you liked it, but nevermind, i didn't get myself one yet, I've just been using the X27 its such a light axe and with that 36 inch handle you can really get a good fast momentum swing. 

Yes @_Wilson_™ the woods is coming along. Picked up done white birch yesterday that’s in the heap and some dry ish white ash split and stacked along the house. 

5CA0FE1F-6049-4C2D-BF16-9A76D0A7749F.jpeg

B737786D-B65B-4D9C-9C40-FB9FE19AA8EB.jpeg

• Like 4

Cut & hauled wood all afternoon. Had a bunch of trees blow over lately, been very windy. 

4BE3A7CE-2BFE-4EB1-9DFE-7944290B36B9.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Cut & hauled wood all afternoon. Had a bunch of trees blow over lately, been very windy. 

4BE3A7CE-2BFE-4EB1-9DFE-7944290B36B9.jpeg

That there looks like a load of ash wood, ready to burn already....

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

That there looks like a load of ash wood, ready to burn already....

Yes you’re correct. Several years ago the ash boar went thru our state and I don’t think there is a single live ash tree anywhere. I have been burning ash for about 6-7 years. I still have a lot of ash still standing that have been dead for 5 plus years. It keeps me in good supply but some of it is going bad and getting soft and rotten even tho it is still standing. Windy days are bringing them down, I cut up the solid ones, they burn 🔥 great. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Yes you’re correct. Several years ago the ash boar went thru our state and I don’t think there is a single live ash tree anywhere. I have been burning ash for about 6-7 years. I still have a lot of ash still standing that have been dead for 5 plus years. It keeps me in good supply but some of it is going bad and getting soft and rotten even tho it is still standing. Windy days are bringing them down, I cut up the solid ones, they burn 🔥 great. 

Yep same here ruby, been burning it almost exclusively for many years, I still have a few standing live ash, not sure if they will make the cut or just the last soldiers.  Biggest problem with punky ash is the base of the trunk, other than that almost all good wood.  And yes it went thru yours/my state of Michigan with a knife..... 

• Like 3

Yeah the brush dump in town here hauls loads of ash logs in every week. They are cutting every ash tree down in the city. It’s all half dead and dried out decent. By far my favorite to burn right now. I’ll have to snap some pictures of some of the knarly stumps out there no one wants to buck. 

you might try scoring on some of that wood, by contacting the city / county, I've scored some good loads (they don't wish to deal with) of loads after storm damage etc, the only deal is sometimes you have go load them yourself, depending on close to you home the trees are, sometimes they will haul them out, and unload them on solid ground, they get picky with those loaded over weight trucks, which is understandable (been there) it's worth a try, a few years back the power company highered  an indepedent tree trimming (wolf tree service) to cut, and top around power lines, public roads, etc... i got as much as i could, which was enough to burn all winter with some left over. i still get trees from the county. 

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you might try scoring on some of that wood, by contacting the city / county, I've scored some good loads (they don't wish to deal with) of loads after storm damage etc, the only deal is sometimes you have go load them yourself, depending on close to you home the trees are, sometimes they will haul them out, and unload them on solid ground, they get picky with those loaded over weight trucks, which is understandable (been there) it's worth a try, a few years back the power company highered  an indepedent tree trimming (wolf tree service) to cut, and top around power lines, public roads, etc... i got as much as i could, which was enough to burn all winter with some left over. i still get trees from the county. 

I did ask them a while back and they said that I would have to take all the brush on each load too along with the logs. Sometimes it's just the logs, sometimes it's mostly brush with one or two logs. So I wasn't going to take the chance of having to second hand a bunch of brush. Its only like 3 miles to the brush dump from my place so it's not too hard to go out there and just take what i want. Then if there's a nasty crotch (! lot lizards) I don't have to fight to break it down and just throw it back in the heap.

• Like 1

i see...... here they send brush chipper / trucks out for the brush piles, and the logs are hauled on sepperat trucks, or left pushed to the side of the road, where people can come along and saw the logs up load them and take care of the clean for the city, and county, that is unless the loads are left laying on private property by the county, then you have to okay it with the land owner, most times they are okay with having someone clean it up, unless said owner has already spoken for the logs. I've actually had some stop and try taking some I've spoken for, so goes the saying you snooze, you loose, lol. so far I've never lost any yet, lol. as for lot lizards... truck drivers call femals running around truck stop parking lots looking for a customer  ... as lot lizards, lol. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

lol. as for lot lizards... truck drivers call femals running around truck stop parking lots looking for a customer  ... as lot lizards, lol. 

Yeah I know what they are. I was attempting to make a bad pun lol. Brush lot. Nasty crotch. Lot Liz haha

• Haha 1

Here’s a ! of a load. The ol half ton didn’t mind too much other than braking. Probably 2 cord in there.  

9A0567C6-984B-401C-90C4-96465AAF87F5.jpeg

• Like 11

I been  slacking on the firewood , got some wood but it all needs to be split now , started the wood splitter this week after work and it fired right off , ran for a  minute , split two pieces and it killed , think it is a dirty carb , most likely water condensation in the tank , might be as simple as draining the bowl ,  hope to clean it up and get some wood split so I can watch LSU lose this evening a 6:00pm with a fire on the patio

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sled_22 said:

Here’s a ! of a load. The ol half ton didn’t mind too much other than braking. Probably 2 cord in there.  

9A0567C6-984B-401C-90C4-96465AAF87F5.jpeg

This ended up being 3 full cord. I think I’m done for the winter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

nice! and you didn't even get to use the x-27 yet... 

yeah I split that entire works with the truper maul. Hard to justify with how good it works. Maybe Santa will bring it for a gift. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

man, this took some work! nice neat stacking. 

image.jpg

I was just looking at how to prep my stacks for next year... wondered if i should make a wood shed out of pallets or just stacked up differently. Then I came across a picture just these, except smaller. man that looks pretty neat, safe and not much for an eye sore.

• Like 1