_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

My 261 has an aluminum limiter cap on the high speed mixture screw only (low speed mixture not limited), with a hole in the center for the small adjustment screwdriver. I screwed an easy-out into the hole, yanked the cap off, turned the screw out 3/4 extra turn and snapped the limiter cap back on. Doesn't void the 2 year warranty when done that way. 🙂

I tune with a tach thats velcro'd onto the saw for 14,200 - 14,400 WOT. The saw is still bone stock. I mix Red oil at 32:1. Red oil costs more than Blue oil or Green oil so its gotta be that much better right? 🙂

• Like 1

This has been helpful to me , got rid of my hangover and thinking a little better this morning 

Jeep brought to my attention about finding a NOS 346 , good idea , maybe have one shipped from South Africa , LOL  ,  and I have seen a few while searching that were used and look to be like new in the $250 range ------  

Wilson brought up about the EPA , I would bet the EPA had something to do with the 346 disappearing from the USA market , seems they are still available in other countries , new saws that meet  EPA regulations can't be as good as a old school polluter  

A lot of good things seem to get thrown out by government regulations , like the Ford 7.3 , I hear you can still get a 7.3  engine in other countries but not here as they are a dirty burner  , I might still be driving a Ford if the 7.3 was still around , I am fooling myself , after having a 2008 6.7 Cummins with 300K miles that is deleted and programmed  , I wouldn't  go back  to Uncle Henry 

I am going to try and call the dealer again today and see what happened to the 346XP Professional Series ------  but got a feeling he is closed for the holidays , I know he races a fine Dodge Challenger trailer rig  and bet he is off to the races this weekend , he makes me think of SamUK as he is from the UK and has a heavy Brit accent 

• Sad 1

The dealer is still making calls for the 436XP -------------   this is about the best prices I have found on Husqvarna ,  I can get a employee discount from my sister in law on top of that price , and there is no shipping fees, so I am looking at the 450E  , 50 cc , 20 inch bar , I can get it for $360 ------  what one do you'll like ? 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/husqvarna/chainsaws?cm_mmc=SEM-_-Google-_-OPEHusqvarna-_-HusqvarnaChainsawsTaxRespAd&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI45jGjqea5gIVrf_jBx27cgunEAMYAyAAEgKMyfD_BwE

Wilson is MIA 

Fish I'm a big believer in getting pro grade stuff these days.  The box store stuff just isn't as good, IMO.  The pro grade stuff definitely costs more, but I like to "buy once, cry once" and with occasional use pro grade stuff will last me a lifetime.

I'd get the 550XP if you're looking for a 50CC saw (and assuming you can't find a 346XP).  Some folks would rather spend less and get something new every few years.  I buy stuff with the intention of it lasting until I'm gone.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/compare/?CatId=WebCat_9259&Id=967651101&Id=966648181

• Like 3

+1 on Professional grade saws! They are worth every penny extra ya gotta pay. Pro grade have magnesium motor cases so they're lighter and stronger than consumer or farm grade saws too.

• Like 3

If you are just cutting down an occasional tree or small amount of firewood for bonfires the 450 would be fine.  But if you are using it for cutting firewood for you or maybe to sell the "pro" saws are a must.  Again there are a couple sites that have been listed where you can purchase a very good used saw.  I have bought  3 saws from such sellers and have been nothing but happy.  Granted there is no warranty with such a sale, but the good sellers out there will make sure it is ready to go at a price you my make you happy.....

Honestly I buy nothing new anymore, cars, trucks, lawn mowers, saws, my Honda ATV.  You can find any of these out there for decent prices if you are patient and not needing it right now.....

• Like 2

I agree with jeep, 550XP would be my choice. Buy once cry once when it comes to saws. That said, I do have one of the cheaper 455 Rancher's here and it's not a half bad saw, but the fact of it is, it's a throw away saw.

I'd also consider a 545 they are basically the same as the 550XP but not really tuned for a pro user, less power and less RPM's so longer life.

After really thinking about it , I don't really need to pay the price for a Professional series saw , they are twice as much , I got about 10 big pine trees  I want to take down and then  cut some fire wood for the outside pit -------  we burned wood in the inside fire place maybe 3 times in 11 years of living here , it don't get cold here , so I am not dependent on fire wood ----- the dealer told me he called his Husqvarna rep. and says that he never got back with him yet on being able to get the 436XP shipped directly to him as they are still in the World Market  , I think if he can't get that 436XP  , then I am going with the Tractor Supply home owner / farm model , get the discount , free shipping and a 2 year warranty  and I will pay less than 1/2 the price , might be half the saw , but I am not going to be using it 1/2 as much as a Professional lumberjack would  ---- I wish the dealer would give me an answer soon , the weather has been beautiful here and I would like to take that broken tree down before it gets cold 

• Sad 1

Suit yourself, there is nothing wrong with the 400 series landowner saws, like the 455 Rancher I have it works fine, I’ve had it for 10 years. But like I said, it’s all plastic, it’s not really meant to be rebuilt or fixed it’s meant to be thrown out when it stops working and replaced. It has a poor power to weight ratio compared to a pro saw, which probably won’t bother you much for your intended purpose. For the money it’s good value I suppose. I usually buy used and have paid far less for my 346/357/372XP’s than any of the decent box store saws cost. I bought that 455 new and I bought my 562XP new which IIRC was around $1200.

I had a buddy give me a MS180 Stihl.  He loaned it out and the guy tried to run it with the brake on and melted the crankcase and smoked the clutches.

I ordered replacement parts from Hutzl but they're sitting in the floor of my shop with a dozen other projects around them.  Figured I would fix it and use it as a loaner/beater saw.

For occasional  use so long as you have a sharp chain on it anything will probably work.  I get pro grade stuff because I expect it to last much longer (even with occasional use, less messing with them).

• Like 1

Dealer told me they won't ship a 346XP to the US , and they are about to be discontinued World Wide soon 

I went with the 450E Rancher Series 50 cc ( farm saw )  , came with a cool carrying box , it was $399 ,  0% interest for 6 months  , comes with 2 year warranty, then I bought the 3 cans of premix fuel for $20 and that  extended the warranty to 4 years , which is a crazy promotion to me  -----  so every thing you are looking in the pic was  $462 =  450E Rancher ,  3 cans premixed  fuel  , 2 quarts bar oil , extra chain , and a sharpening kit ----- thought about stepping up to XP for a couple of hundred more ----- I think this will do what I need it to 

hPkYXnoIS4yANdaP5XaHtw.jpg

J7o%%wojTWqCuaFpNuLx1w.jpg

• Like 3

Nice -- now cut some wood -- that's a good size saw for around the house and trail work -- be careful 

• Like 2

Only thing I don’t like about it is the single bar nut I think that’s kind of stupid. Other than that nice saw. Put it to work!

• Like 1

I hope to put it to work today , but have a lot to do today and the Granddaughter is spending the weekend with us , so I know I will be hearing Pawpaw a few dozen times 

Figured I would chime in on this thread.  I have been wanting to get a wood stove for a while now.  In the mean time we use our fireplace quite a bit in the winter.  We live in Ohio so the winter isn't terrible but a nice fire takes your stress away after a long day at work.  Our house has had a number of dead or dying ash trees.  I cut the ones I could handle myself and had a few cut down.  I bought a used Stihl 044 about 15 years ago.  It has been a champ for all of my cutting needs.  

3 hours ago, superrman77 said:

Figured I would chime in on this thread.  I have been wanting to get a wood stove for a while now.  In the mean time we use our fireplace quite a bit in the winter.  We live in Ohio so the winter isn't terrible but a nice fire takes your stress away after a long day at work.  Our house has had a number of dead or dying ash trees.  I cut the ones I could handle myself and had a few cut down.  I bought a used Stihl 044 about 15 years ago.  It has been a champ for all of my cutting needs.  

Ever thought about a fireplace insert it would be your easier choice unless you are thinking of an outdoor furnace?  Sounds like you have a saw that will do you well, I like the older models...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bcsman said:

Ever thought about a fireplace insert it would be your easier choice unless you are thinking of an outdoor furnace?  Sounds like you have a saw that will do you well, I like the older models...

I'm actually going to get an insert.  The newer ones are pretty efficient.  

Well this year I'm going to finally add the 3rd stove in the farm house, when it gets down to -30C 2 stoves don't cut it in this old shack...

I already burn about 10 cord a year now, better get 15 for next year.

• Like 2

It was 70 degrees F here today , still had a fire going in the outside pit all day , I cut down that broke off tree from the storm Olga  today with my new to me Husqvarna saw , it rips , then split about 5 chunks with the log splitter and burned all of it plus some hanging out on the patio ---- that premixed fuel has a wicked smell to it , very strong smell , 95 octane , can't see how anyone can afford to burn that stuff , it goes for $6+ a quart can , that's $24 a gallon , only reason I bought 3 cans was to increase the warranty to 4 years from 2 years , one can doesn't  fill the tank twice 

• Like 1

The premix 50:1 32 oz can go for $9.29 + 15 % sales tax here = $10.68. It does smell 

• Like 1

15% sales tax , wow !!! ----- it doesn't smell like gasoline , it is more like alcohol 

Yes sale tax here is high 15% was 18% a few years back -- I never used the premix -- my friend uses it in his saw. 

We can buy non ethenol gas here for about a buck more than the regular kind...

We are lucky with the non-ethanal fuel , they are quite a few stations that sell it close to me , it is close to the same price , maybe a nickel more , it is $2.25 right now 

On 12/5/2019 at 11:07 PM, Mac102004 said:

Only thing I don’t like about it is the single bar nut I think that’s kind of stupid. Other than that nice saw. Put it to work!

The idea of a single nut on the side is a terrible idea in my opinion. At least if you loose a nut on a 2 nut side cover, the other nut will get you out of a hole if you need to continue cutting.

As a rule, single nut saws are generally hobby type saws or, in the case of climbing saws for pros (Stihl Ms200) for example.

I once bought a husky and quickly replaced it for a Stihl. They do have a little more torque but I find they rattle your arms to jelly!

I currently have all Stihls, an MS201T top handle saw and an MS661-C for milling and chopping up big stuff, I've a 42inch bar for it.

Both saws have done a mountain of cutting for me, and apart from air filter and spark plug changes every year, neither have let me down.

Buy cheap or buy twice!

Edited by Turbo Twister
  • Like 3