_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

i agree! that x-27 is now my go to, i also have the longest handle fiskars chopping axe 23 inches i believe... ... which is super light, and just as sharp. i i use that fr smaller logs .. and the splitter... for hard knotty wood. 

I was out filling the wood trailer tonight after refilling the box inside. Looks like I’m over half way through my prepared wood. Bring on the cold, I’m into some dry red oak. 

D475FFA4-E56B-47AB-B749-1CA6B89A5A7A.jpeg

• Like 4

Fiskars x27 and ms462 got some attention this morning. One tank of fuel to cut a cord of wood. Good times had by all.... by all I mean me. 

25A05572-871A-4FA9-8F22-81FAB4CE01BC.jpeg

6EA53C2D-1EEC-4A0F-A280-A1F64922DAF3.jpeg

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

Big ash ash.... white ash to be specific. 

Nice stuff to split, I have a bunch of ash in my pile for me to cut soon,I like that and yellow birch, birch isn't as nice to split tho sometimes.

• Like 1

Yeah.  I don't think we get ash in the south part of Mississippi, maybe a little.  There's a few trees on the creek bank that look somewhat similar but they grow all twisted and bend over and don't get too big before they die, but they sure are easy to split and burn pretty good when green.  The wood looks similar to that but the bark is not as defined.  I had assumed some sort of willow - I'll have to check out the leaves in the spring.

Here, mostly, we have several types of oak - red, white, pin and a lot of water oak, and even some live oak but this is the north part of live oak range.  There's a fair amount of black cherry, some beech, hickory, pecan and maybe walnut but there's a ton of sweet gum, which is nigh on impossible to split by hand and is not very good firewood anyway.

BD64D9B6-8E1B-47B1-8318-6DD524A3FD2D.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 2

sled glad you finally got to use that axe.... just a tip, once the head shines up, you might coat  it with oil .. grease, or Vaseline (after each  use) ... to keep the rust off, i do all my edge tools that way, never had a rust issue..... at the end of the wood season, just clean it with rubing alcohol ... and paint it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Had a long day cutting wood with a friend of mine. He moved later in the fall and didn’t have a big wood supply so we fixed that today. I put 5 tanks through the 462. Bucking logs from 8am to 2pm. Ufffda my shoulders are sore. But my back isn’t near what it typically is. We’ll attribute that to the 28” bar. 
here’s a fun felling video for you to enjoy. 

0AF47FC7-C6B5-4DD0-B6D6-7855A1F2E857.jpeg

• Like 8

Its always nice cutting it in the snow, don't have to worry about sawing dirt....

• Like 5

All that wood i cut up last summer has been gone or a few weeks now.. been burning some stuff i cut about 2 months ago, chopping it very small & drying it on the stove  😬 

I have a better idea how much i will need next winter.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TBRider said:

Its always nice cutting it in the snow, don't have to worry about sawing dirt....

Yeah, and no dirt and mud on the logs

• Like 2

most of the wood i saw is down, or blow downs, i do my best to saw where i can skip sections with dirt or caked on mud, but the worst is wire that the tree has grown into, one of the hazards of sawing up trees that were used as fence post, on farm land, most trees that mark property lines on farm land are used as fence post around here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

All that wood i cut up last summer has been gone or a few weeks now.. been burning some stuff i cut about 2 months ago, chopping it very small & drying it on the stove  😬 

I have a better idea how much i will need next winter.

I'm going out to the beaver dams and getting mine there.....lol

Ran out a few weeks ago here too....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yup, and its all nice maple, drying there for years, I started going there 5 years ago....lol

• Like 3

Most of the wood I cut is down trees also. I got a new blade so I converted an old push tube into a tree lifter. Cut up to it, throw a log under it farther down and continue on. I did it last night so I had to test it out tonight (after I tested it with a 4 wheeler). Last pic just showing the warm up we been having.  Most of the snow is gone.

20210223_172215.jpg

20210223_115902.jpg

20210223_173826.jpg

• Like 8

Our log home came with two fireplaces.  One standard fireplace in the finished basement that seldom gets used and the other above it on the main floor.  It has stone all the way up to the high ceiling as well as a built in heatalator.  The ash door can be used to allow air from the garage behind it to be used for combustion.   The damper has been cracka-rigged to allow it to have multiple adjustments by using a lever and latch setup coming out the front at the top of the firebox.  This setup works quite well since very little air from the house goes up the chimney. Since I'm not choking the fire off from air, our chimney stays very clean.

Before we converted from propane to natural gas the fireplace was our main source of heat.  $1,400 for propane the first winter was a real shocker and we started taking advantage of the 5 wooded acres we live on.  Now with gas and my last bill for heat and cooking only being $90., there's little incentive to cut wood for heat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toodeep said:

Most of the wood I cut is down trees also. I got a new blade so I converted an old push tube into a tree lifter. Cut up to it, throw a log under it farther down and continue on. I did it last night so I had to test it out tonight (after I tested it with a 4 wheeler). Last pic just showing the warm up we been having.  Most of the snow is gone.

that should come in real handy for all kinds of lifting jobs. how high does it go ? 

It has some pivot to it. I'm mostly alone all the time so I'm sure it will find some other uses. The "fork" portion will slide off and I already have another thing built so I can move my trailers around easily. 

20210224_091450.jpg

• Like 4

actually moving trailers around was just what i was thinking of, nice to pull up, lift, and never have to touch the jack, plus maneuvering them with front steering is much simpler ... this is something close to what we have on a johndeer 2630 , made it super easy to move / steer gravity grain wagons. around.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3