_Wilson_™

Fire wood burners

My wood day didn't go so good , last time I use the splitter , which was a week ago , I filled it up , even after being set up for months ,  and it started right off the bat and split wood for  a whole tank of fuel , today with friends over , I filled it up , to split a golf cart load  and it would only run on choke , took off the bowl and did a Redneck carb clean sprayed it with Chem Tool  , it didn't solve the problem , got bummed on it , and got another beer ,  lite the pit and burned what was already split ----- the aluminum body of the carb is pitted , think I am going to order a new carb tonight for it , and clean the carb tomorrow for now 

• Confused 1

27 ton troy biult, right ? ..... I fired my Kohlar powered splitter up two weeks ago (just to make sure she's in running order) i used use red stabil, then swopped over to green, and the tank topped completely off , of corse i do all my fuel tanks like that, I'm saving alot of $$ on fuel at the moment......sigh.... Everything is ready to work......

doesnt that troy built have a vertical shaft honda plant ? 

Yes , it is a Honda GCV 160 vertical engine on a 27 ton troy built  -----------  yesterday morning I took the carb off and cleaned it good , but not good enough as  it still would only run on choke , but  it ran so good on choke that I went ahead and split about 5 of them chunks and had a fire even though it was 75 degrees yesterday ---------  I ordered a new carb , gaskets , air filter and a spark plug  for it ----------   this carb's aluminum body  is pitted up badly , like you mentioned you keep your tank topped off  ,  I think it would be better to keep my tank full all the time , instead of running it dry when I am not using it like I have been doing , still turn the fuel valve off and run the carb dry , we have a lot of humidity here , it was 90% yesterday , I think the empty tank was sweating and making water 

never got a chance to saw on that pine stump , took the saw out but something keep popping up 

I hear ya on things poping up...... I recon..... I have OCD about keeping tanks topped off (when possible) I've always questioned whether it was a good idea to to cut the fuel off, JUST to run the carb dry....I've never done that, and never had any issues, I'm not of the opinion it's a bad , or good idea, i just rightly don't know, how ever....I do use the fuel cut ( petcock) off religiously, i had the carb on that Biggs 15 horse fail, to my surprise.... The crank case was filled with pure gas..... And saw a few 300,s at little Johnny's the same way..... Motor oil completely diluted.

• Like 1

I think the splitter I have is 16 ton. I've never had anything stop it yet. It's made for a full size farm tractor but I run it off a lawn tractor I have. We ran it for a few years off the farm tractor but I fit it a bit handier like this. I plan to make a tongue for it and a little axle so I can tow it around easier.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'll be sending you a PM soon, also .... I can't veiw that pic ..... Can you describe the setup? 

I sent the link to the video on a PM , maybe you can view it like that ----  I'd say it is a three point hitch splitter , that's off the tractor and strapped to a trailer 

Ya 3 point is what  i was thinking thanks fish, the video worked, it looks to be a class one 3 point hitch, Mac ...... Are thinking of making it two way (vertical, or horizontal) 

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Ya 3 point is what  i was thinking thanks fish, the video worked, it looks to be a class one 3 point hitch, Mac ...... Are thinking of making it two way (vertical, or horizontal) 

No just horizontal is fine for me we don’t really get big enough wood around here that vertical would be worth having. 

• Like 1

No just horizontal is fine for me we don’t really get big enough wood around here that vertical would be worth having.

I gotcha ......one things forsure, It's more efficient then my one way! Even  With that 4 way slip on wedge That's a. Great video too! 

So along with a draw bar, your adding a gas powered hydraulic power unit, wheels, and a oil tank ? 

image.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I gotcha ......one things forsure, It's more efficient then my one way! Even  With that 4 way slip on wedge That's a. Great video too! 

So along with a draw bar, your adding a gas powered hydraulic power unit, wheels, and a oil tank ? 

image.jpg

Nope, just keep using the little tractor to power it, I have 2 that will run it they are about the same size. Both will pump about 10GPM. 

One reason I am sorry to have sold the excavator was for a log splitter attachment , IMG_8537.JPGI sold this mini a while back and sometimes wish I would not have , one attachment I was think of was a splitter , I have seen them make a splitter that attaches to the bucket pins and is controllable by the machine , there are aux flow fittings on the dipper stick arm to power the splitter , you can reach over squeeze a big chunk , pick it up and move it to where you want and then split it , then just keep moving it around and splitting it up 

• Like 1

That’s a cute little thing. Wish I had a mini be handy, we have a 16 ton Hitachi. Seen a little Takeuchi mini for sale near here I think they wanted 28k for it. 

• Like 1

I sold that Takeuchi for $6,500 , Yanmar engine ran great , all the cylinders resealed , fresh paint job , all filters and oils serviced , it was a deal for my buddy , I think I could have sold it for  $10K 

• Like 1

Oh so just a draw bar and wheels, for that case tractor i thought maybe you were planning a complete gas. powered splitter to go behind your atv.

fish...... I told you i wouldn't have sold that if i was in your place... that would have been a nice handy setup, not to mention all the other chores she could do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

did not watch all of this..but the one that stuck out the worst ?..was the dummy on a ladder, has a notch just below his ladder...THATS LEANNG ON THE TREE , and he continues to cut in this notch..thats right below where his ladder is ...REALLY ???!!!. and this is why we have stupid ppl !!!!..lol.

• Like 3

Sad situation , the wife's cousin pasted away a few months back , he was cutting a tree limb on a ladder in his yard , the limb fell , knocked the ladder over , broke his ribs and punctured his lung , he was ok and went home after a short stay in the hospital , got lung infection from having been in the hospital on a respirator , went back in the hospital and died from staff infection in his lung 

I got that new saw to cut trees in the yard and have two trees that are big and leaning the wrong way , starting to get cold feet ,  I am thinking to call in a professional and let him down them for me 

• Sad 1

I've done the whole "hook a rope/winch cable to it and it will fall the way I want"  I've luckily never had one fall on a house or on me, but it only took one time to learn that that rope or cable isn't going to steer that tree the tiniest little bit.  It's going down and that rope/cable isn't going to change it one bit.

• Like 1

A year or two ago I was having dinner with some friends when one man, Ted said he was going to cut down the tree in his front yard.  Another lady heard him and got set off, saying he couldn't cut a living tree, etc, that it was all wrong.

He said he would do what he wanted.

It sounded funny so I thought I should get involved.

The story was, many years ago, (30 or 40) when his house was his mother's house, he had a living Christmas tree and he was planting it in the front yard.  His mother yelled out the front door "don't you plant that tree in my front yard, it will block my view of the church across the street".  He yelled back, it's just a little tree, it won't block your view.

Well now, 30 or 40 years later, the tree is a monster and blocks his view of the church across the street, which he doesn't like, just like his mother.

So I went over with a wood burning buddy (cost of propane was too high) and my friend said, "tell him we will cut it down and do all clean up for $200.

I called Ted and told him $200 and he gasped as if I had said $2,000 or $20,000, and said he would borrow his son's chain saw and cut it down himself.  Ted is 76 at that time.

The next thing I heard is Ted is in the hospital.  He fell out of the tree while he was cutting it down and shattered both his hips where they couldn't do surgery and he had to be off his feet for 6 months til he healed.   So he was in a hospital bed or rest home bed for 6 months.  When we talked to him he said he was doing better every day and did fully recover after some time..

He did finally admit that it would have been better to just pay us the $200.  He might be 76 but some guys just have to learn the hard way.

Or, 30 or 40 years ago, if his mother says don't plant that tree in the front yard, just take it behind the house and plant it there.

There was another guy in the same neighborhood who apparently did the same thing, cutting a tree and fell somehow (they don't know how as they just found him laying on the ground) and was very badly injured.  He only recovered enough to be released to a wheel chair, then passed away as the result of his injuries and complications.  And he was 10 or more years younger than Ted.

A good question is, what were these guys doing up in the tree to cut it down any way.

dc

21 minutes ago, David13 said:

A year or two ago I was having dinner with some friends when one man, Ted said he was going to cut down the tree in his front yard.  Another lady heard him and got set off, saying he couldn't cut a living tree, etc, that it was all wrong.

If trees weren't harvested, we wouldn't have toilet paper . . . . . . so next time you're having a bowel movement and creating a new politician . . . . think of the logger when you reach for that roll of a$$-wipe . . .  😀😁

Edited by Macarena Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Macarena Man said:

If trees weren't harvested, we wouldn't have toilet paper . . . . . . so next time you're having a bowel movement and creating a new politician . . . . think of the logger when you reach for that roll of a$$-wipe . . .  😀😁

Don't the loggers just stand on the ground and cut the tree down?  That's the way we did it when I went into the mountains with my wood burning friends.

dc