HondaHunt

2006 Honda 500 ForemanS

IMG_20201125_130410721.jpgNew to this Forum, I have a 93 Honda 300trx 4x4 and just picked up an 05 Honda 500 ForemanS.  The latter will be easing the hunting duties of the 300 that I have owned for 20 years. The 500 is literally like new 126 hours 845 miles and the underneath is like it just rolled off assembly line.  It's never been abused and my research revealed the weak first gear, so my question is will that gear last since it's been babied and my plans are strictly hunting and very light trail riding.  I have no interest in mudding or boating. Ha ha. IMG_20201125_112311353.jpg

IMG_20201210_121634088.jpg

IMG_20201210_121644926.jpg

• Like 6

HondaHunt , welcome to the forum ... I would Send It , till or if ,  it becomes a problem ....is that a wrap your 300? 

Yes it's camo cloth type wrap, put on in 2007.  Still holding tight. Bike is great never fails to start. I will keep it forever. 

IMG_20201125_112216567.jpg

IMG_20201125_112244141.jpg

• Like 4

Blood washes off really easy.  I have the original front rack which is bigger but 10 years ago one of the down tubes rusted broke at the weld.  I guess I could have had it repaired and welded instead of buying the smaller replacement rack. The ole 300 was purchased in January 1999 present to myself celebrating a divorce.  But now happly married for 20 years and bought the Honda Foreman.  Hope I have as much fun a dependable service as the 300 has given and is still giving. 

IMG_20201124_171018771.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it is Southern Blue under the cloth , that blue might be looking real good being under that cloth all them years ----- I love 300s , blue one particularly ----  don't tell me you glued that cloth to the plastic , LOL 

• Like 1

Yes it is the blue   it drew me to it when I decided to buy it.  No it is stick on, it will peel right off without a problem. Plastics in pretty good shape no cracks or splits etc.  These things are literally bullet proof I have only changed oil service differentials and transfer case, I put on new wheel bearings in the front, brakes replaced once in rear. Needs new brake line in front it gave out this past year. It is my hunting bike for a month out of the year and I toodle around the yard and do light work with it in the summer.  All my hunting buddies want to buy it, but not selling.  

• Like 1

welcome to ATVH, another 300 die hard guy, plus plus ! 

thats a good looking machine, has the 1st type fender flairs i almost got the same spot light as yours has, trail blazer brand  ? 

Sorry replied the same thing twice. This phone not the easiest. Yes trailblazer brand they last about three to five years but are only 25 bucks. They work fairly well helps the stock lights out.  

thanks eh, don't worry about the double post, it happens ... you could get a mod to go delete which ever one you wish gone, or maybe go back choose edit, and rewrite the post to another related topic, as for the spot light looks good. 

51 minutes ago, HondaHunt said:

Sorry replied the same thing twice. This phone not the easiest. Yes trailblazer brand they last about three to five years but are only 25 bucks. They work fairly well helps the stock lights out.  

I deleted the duplicate post .... first one I ever seen with cloth like that , pretty cool , I been thinking about trying my hand at a wrap on a green 300 I have 

I got a 92 Blue 300 myself , love it !!! 

• Like 1

Thank you. I bought that cloth wrap from Cabela's back when they were the real Cabela's and not Bass Pro.   I plan on showing the bike some serious love this next year, she has earned her keep, now it's time to spruce her up.  

IMG_20201125_112311353.jpg

• Like 3

Yours  looks to be in good shape , racks and bumper are straight , flat style fender flares look good 

Welcome !! I also have a 500 and it was beat on pretty good before I got it. Never had a problem with 1st gear. 

Yes it is in pretty good shape but needs a few cosmetic things and new lower front brake lines.  Needs new left hand brake lever, don't ask but it didn't break.  I am amazed I have never touched the carburetor it just keeps humming along starting easy no matter the temperature, doesn't smoke although I do believe the one way bearing is week because it still spins when I shut the engine off. But only for a few seconds and not every time. I am not real sure about that it's just what I read on this Forum.  I notice nothing different while running in gear etc.   

I really do like the new to me 2006 500 ForemanS.  It is a very smooth strong bike that I was very fortunate to pick up. It's one where I knew the owner and we rode together since the 500 was new.  It spent one season elk hunting in Colorado which accounted for like 40 hours. It sat unused the last 5 years, he got it out had dealer service it and clean carbs bike all checked out from head to toe. 126 hours of which I put on 11 this hunting season.  840 or so miles.  

• Like 1

for the record, that year model is not called trx500 foeman s, its correct model name is trx500fm, i say this, because honda does not use the letter s on this year model, if you look it up on say..partzilla.com ?, its listed as a 2006 trx500fm :-).

Thank you to all who gave a welcome shout out. I do enjoy reading the forum, I also stumbled across the other forum that someone said the longtimers kind of left to come to this forum over moderator or new owner issues. Regardless the info on these forums is priceless and I look forward to contributing.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HondaHunt said:

Ok I was just quoting the sticker on the side.  

IMG_20201210_121516460.jpg

haha..all good, yes..i know honda put an s on the side cover ( no clue what the s stands for ? ), but in honda's eye's..they list it as a trx500fm. yes, all us top honda mechanics that made the other site what it ONCE was ?..are now here !. we built this site from members that take pride in what we do..and thats keep it simple ?, and make it a very helpful site !.

Yes I have read hundreds of post dating back years on both sites which is how I learned you guys came here to help honda owners.  My 300 was owned by a dealership owner in Fleminsburg Kentucky, I bought it from him when it was roughly 6 years old. Gave like 2,400 for it back in 1999.  It's been a tremendous bike, but I started riding motorbikes at 4 and 5 years old. First one was the little Honda 50 last one was Yamaha 400 Enduro bright yellow.  Around these parts Honda is king of reliability but some guys jumping on CanAms and the Yamaha Grizzly and a few Polaris.  Side by sides took off but the ATV is coming back around here.  Where I hunt my 300 can literally go anywhere it's small and nimble and powerful to haul two hunters and a 190lb field dressed deer out the woods. I only jumped on the 500 because of its condition and although I love my 300 there is a world of difference in ride and power between the two.  I take both to hunting camp, 3K acres and use whichever is appropriate for the task at hand.  Love my Honda's, and with this site and my manuals I can do needed PM's without a dealership.  Thank you again. 

I like that camo on your 300

looks like the ATACS AUX pattern—most of my hunting gear is ATACS AUX.