HondaHunt

2006 Honda 500 ForemanS

The camo has faded over the years but it's been on there forever. It is over lapped in some places and if I peel it back some the camo is much more prominent in color.   I think it has preserved the blue plastic plus the metal original gas tank. I can see under neath the camo where the normal rust spots are on the side of the tank which were there when I put camo on, they haven't changed much from what I remember.  It's hard to believe bike is 27 years old and engine drivetrain wise while not new performs as it did when I bought it.  I have never really abused the bike but early on I did ride it aggressively like pulling kids around in snow on tubes and a few small mud holes and very shallow creek crossings.   I don't do that anymore and haven't for years just drive it around the deer camp and to and from my woods parking spot to walk to my tree stands.  When not used both bikes are started once a week maybe toodle around yard and always kept full of non ethanol gasoline. 

• Like 1

Welcome HH to the forum the old one wished they were yet!!!   Nice looking Hondas sounds like you take care of them, if so then they will take care of you.  By all means if you have questions this is the place to ask, great group of Honda lovers and mechanics....

I made a statement about my one way bearing on my 300.  When I turn it off I hear something spinning for a few seconds. It doesn't do it every time but it does it most of the time. It's been doing it for a few years and I never thought anything about it as it hasn't affected operation but I read on this forum that it's the one way bearing spending and that it has something to do with engine breaking when coasting down hill or something.  Is it something I should worry about or address. 

There are two one way bearings , one behind the flywheel ( no longer available )  and  one behind the centrifugal clutch , the two things that can happen  are , no engine braking  or  the kick stater won't engage  ------ I drove a 300 for a couple of years with no engine braking before fixing it  , came to like it , but we are all flat terrain here ----- 

• Like 2

Fishfiles That answers my question, about a year or so ago I had to replace battery so I was using the kick start which seemed to not have compression every other time I tried to kick it, but it would always eventually grab and bike starts almost immediately with the smallest turnover.  Thanks for the information, will always make sure my battery is new every couple years, they are cheap Enough to do that.  Is this the bearing still available or the one no longer available.  

10 hours ago, HondaHunt said:

Fishfiles That answers my question, about a year or so ago I had to replace battery so I was using the kick start which seemed to not have compression every other time I tried to kick it, but it would always eventually grab and bike starts almost immediately with the smallest turnover.  Thanks for the information, will always make sure my battery is new every couple years, they are cheap Enough to do that.  Is this the bearing still available or the one no longer available.  

CLUTCH, ONE-WAY
28126-HN0-A01 

Just looked it up and It is still available for your 500  ---------  it is my 300 that is no longer available from OEM 

I need it for the 300. The 500 is literally like new,  it's pristine condition. The engine still crackles like new ones when you turn it off, even still smells new.  The wires underneath have no dirt on them at all, I am just ecstatic with the 06 Foreman 500 manual shift.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HondaHunt said:

I need it for the 300. The 500 is literally like new,  it's pristine condition. The engine still crackles like new ones when you turn it off, even still smells new.  The wires underneath have no dirt on them at all, I am just ecstatic with the 06 Foreman 500 manual shift.  

The 300 starter one way bearing is no longer available from Honda , there are after market ones out there for about $35 

Welcome aboard. 

Your 500 1st gear should be fine if it hasn't been and won't be abused.  They don't hold up to abuse or huge tires, but if you don't beat on it you likely won't ever have a problem with it.

• Like 1

This will be my last post to my new member intro thread but I have been looking around the forum learning how it works etc..  I see where it is member owned and funded. My question is to the Moderators and the members who maintain the site, what is a reasonable and sufficient monthly contribution to do my part as a member to help fund the site.  Thanks to everyone who has commented and liked or read my post.  Have a Merry Christmas, and take a ride on Xmas day, supposed to be a white one in my neck of the woods. 

• Like 3

Well, thus far we operate much differently (intentionally) than most other organizational structures on this planet Hondahunt. We founded our forum on principles that guarantee freedom & equality for all, no hierarchies, no bosses.... DIY, not for profit or gain. All that ya share with us here as a member is intended to remain 100% voluntary, including any financial contributions if/when you may choose to contribute in that way. So the answer to your question about financial contribution is it will always be your personal choice. It's not a requirement for equal standing and never will be, as all members are also co-owners & co-operators. Operations costs are a nuisance anyway... we do not waste much of our energies focusing on that stuff. Sharing conversation, experiences, insight, and knowledge with fellow members... having fun while helping as many others as possible are a few things that we value most. :-)

Our welcomes are serious... We are very glad that you are here!

• Like 4

Thank you Retro. I saw where you are the mastermind behind the architecture of the site. I will use it and share my experience as I have worked on some 300s for people.  I just want to help make sure the valuable resource remains available.  Any donations are good donations and I did reveiw the financial statements section.  Thanks and Merry Christmas to All!!  Honda's are like no others!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, HondaHunt said:

Thank you Retro. I saw where you are the mastermind behind the architecture of the site. I will use it and share my experience as I have worked on some 300s for people.  I just want to help make sure the valuable resource remains available.  Any donations are good donations and I did reveiw the financial statements section.  Thanks and Merry Christmas to All!!  Honda's are like no others!  

If you feel like you want to chip in with $, chip in with $.  If you don't, chip in with knowledge and help for others who come around asking for help.

That's how we wanted it to be.  I can't stand having ads dropped everywhere, and I have voluntarily contributed to a few boards over the years where I felt like I gained from knowledge that was shared on those boards.

Money is money.  Knowledge is priceless.

• Like 5