HondaHunt

Tires 06 Foreman 500trxFM

I am in the market for new tires for my newly acquired Foreman 500.  I use the machine to hunt mostly may do trail rides but will not engage deep mud or deep water.  The hunt land has thorns some of which look like they could be sharks teeth. Although I avoid them it's inevitable that I will run over some. I am looking at Kenda 587 Bear claw 8ply or the ITP Mud Lite AT both in stock sizes for my machine.  Kenda's around 380 and ITPs just over 300 hundred. My question is are the Kenda's in 8ply rating really that much tougher than the ITPs.  I want to stay stock size and there will be minimum hard pack road use, will the Kenda have a noticeable difference in ride due to the higher ply rating.  Thank you for any advice. 

Hi: I have them on my bike for 3 years now -- they run great on any type of road or trail -- I run 4 pounds of air in them. -- I also put studs in them in the winter.

Wow I didn't know you could put studs in them, guess I didn't research them enough. I used to install studs in truck tires back in the day with an air tool.   I was just curious if it being a radial vs Bias with the ITPs was important.  And prices I quoted were a little off on the Kenda cheapest I found was like 430.  I just don't like sliming tires or putting a ton of plugs in them.  Since I ride in Heavily thorned areas I just wanted input on the 8ply vs 6ply or will they be just as susceptible to those ! things. 

I'd go with the Kenda's if you're gonna be riding in thorns. The Mudlite ATs will be poked full of holes in no time in that environment. 🙂

• Like 2

I know this is like saying buy a Yamaha on this site but... I am not a fan of ITP Mudlites 

That being said...

We run mostly hard packed surfaces, woods and fields here so don't have a need for a mud tire.

Lots of stobs here though (small tree stumps less than an inch in diameter) 

Is stob a word for anyone else? Might not be using that right lol

My favorite tire is WANDA brand (rip-off but decent ones) 6 ply and decent.

The distributor is Libra Trailer Parts... amazing customer service and the price can not be beat.

These tires compare to the Maxxis Bighorn tread pattern and are my current go-to utility tire. 

There are different sizes available... just linked these as an example.

https://www.libratrailerparts.com/atv-tire-radial-26x9R12-front-26x11R12-rear-p350-full-set

Here is a pic of the set on my buddies 05 Foreman 

20201202_153213.jpg

Edited by oh400ex

I've had good results from my mudlite at tires for several years going hauling bodark wood, running over downed thorny limbs, the thorns are painfully sharp, and long, never had had a flat yet. 

For the type of riding/use you will doing, there are sooo many....

Mudlites

Bearclaws

Swamplites

TerraCross

list goes on forever...

I would see what you can get locally & best price...

The most popular tire in the past 25years for your described use is prolly the Bearclaws.... 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Thank you to everyone, the Bearclaws it will be then.  I figured these would be the ones, the thorns are prominent in my hunting environment.  Have a Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

The kenda HTR is a very tough tire.  I run them on one 4 wheeler and my sxs. You'll be happy with them. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 8:53 PM, oh400ex said:

I know this is like saying buy a Yamaha on this site but... I am not a fan of ITP Mudlites 

That being said...

We run mostly hard packed surfaces, woods and fields here so don't have a need for a mud tire.

Lots of stobs here though (small tree stumps less than an inch in diameter) 

Is stob a word for anyone else? Might not be using that right lol

My favorite tire is WANDA brand (rip-off but decent ones) 6 ply and decent.

The distributor is Libra Trailer Parts... amazing customer service and the price can not be beat.

These tires compare to the Maxxis Bighorn tread pattern and are my current go-to utility tire. 

There are different sizes available... just linked these as an example.

https://www.libratrailerparts.com/atv-tire-radial-26x9R12-front-26x11R12-rear-p350-full-set

Here is a pic of the set on my buddies 05 Foreman 

20201202_153213.jpg

Thinking of these tire myself.

Edited by Big Bird