oh400ex

IRS Sway Bars (Stabilizers)

Hello again everyone!

Wanted to get some of your thoughts on sway bars.

For those unfamiliar...

On an independent rear suspension (IRS) quad a component sometimes exists that doesn't show up on a single rear axle (SRA)

That component is usually referred to as a sway bar (stabilizer). Its purpose is to limit the potential difference in angle caused by having full travel on both sides.

Sway bars also exist on the front of some machines for the same reason.

Long/short is that it makes an IRS quad feel more like SRA.

My question can be summed up as this...

Do I want a stiffer sway bar in the rear of an IRS quad? 

I know Honda's engineers design with many factors in mind and just wonder if this is an area where cost of production is winning over robust design and a bigger sway bar would just be overall better.

Part of me (when riding an IRS bike) is feeling like there is an improvement to be made. Not sure if that is because I am more familiar (and therefore more comfortable) with SRA or because having a stiffer sway bar will improve "performance". IRS while sliding, jumping, rough bumps, wheelies etc... has a completely different feel

Should I just enjoy the "Remote Control Car" feeling of full independent suspension?

Is going for a stiffer sway bar best? Better to restore the OEM? (New bushings... etc)

Nothing is worn beyond use but in very normal used condition.

Thank you for reading!

MjAxNTc1Ng-55ed4dcb.png

There are countering tradeoffs... A stiffer stabilizer bar improves high speed handling and cornering (less body roll, stiffens the suspension up) but imposes limits to the (independence of) suspension travel & response at low speeds. Stiffer bars basically makes an independent suspension.... less independent. While softer bars allow greater suspension independence at the expense of roll control & high speed handling. 🙂

Most factory bars are relatively flexible & soft which provides a smoother, more comfortable ride, but still provides sufficient roll control stiffness for low & medium vehicle speeds.

Replacing rubber bushings & links with hard plastic/metal parts tightens up the suspension control for all bars by eliminating play between parts (which makes the control bars feel slightly stiffer), so that's why performance bushing kits are popular.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What machine are you considering this on? I know the stiffer bar on the 700xx helps a lot, and still performs well in the rough stuff. I would never go back to stock after my upgrade. OEM was aprox 7/16" and I have a 11/16" bar. Your parts schematic looks like the trx700?

Edited by m_quick

52 minutes ago, m_quick said:

What machine are you considering this on? I know the stiffer bar on the 700xx helps a lot, and still performs well in the rough stuff. I would never go back to stock after my upgrade. OEM was aprox 7/16" and I have a 11/16" bar. Your parts schematic looks like the trx700?

Yea it's an 08 700

All original with the exception of a UNI filter.

Garage baby... still got the original tires on it.

Wasn't yours custom made and not available today?

I won't be pulling the trigger on anything now but shopping the idea at least.

20201212_114902.jpg

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 2

Yes mine both had the L8ton sway bars. A buddy of mine made a small set after he purchased a 700xx. Now there's a guy making some cheap ones for $160. Not the prettiest but I bet they improve handling. The 700xx has a bad push, you can either upgrade the bar, use extreme body English, or adjustable front arms. Some also say lowering the rear helps?                       

@oh400ex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1