mrbb

critter pictures and ?

Pretty cool. I'm guessing that rear dam got broken out when they removed the water feed tube? Nothing like cold spring fed water. 

My pets are starting to build up again. More and more every day. They just kind of look when I pull in the driveway. 

20200113_170817.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I have become very close with an old Doe that lives on the land where I invaded years ago, that adopts an extra fawn every winter in years that she births only one. She usually has two fawns each spring (sometimes three), but every now and then she births just one in the 1st week of June. Well, she is back this winter hanging around in my backyard with her own baby along with another fawn (a runt buck this time), that got run off by his young mom at breeding time and wasn't allowed to return. So once again I have this thoughtful and compassionate Doe toting two youngsters alongside as she passes by on our packed down driveway and across our backyard.

This old Doe I am talking about is a genuine sweety.... and became my favorite wildlife personality the 1st winter that I discovered her and helped her and her babies. I've never seen a deer respond to extreme winter nutrition stresses so thoughtfully, so selfless-ly as this old girl does. So whenever the goin' got tough 'round here in January and February, I got in the habit of offering her trio some high-protein Oats in my backyard. She is a very intelligent and patient old Doe. Unlike the younger Does that hit 'n run my oats trays, and fight with each other when another herd member comes along.... This old girl always remains calm, lets the kids eat first, then shows 'em where and how to find some more.

I guess I'm a hopeless dreamer... but I still believe that natural humans respond the same as my favorite wintering sweety does, when the goin' gets tough, the snow gets belly-deep and winters appear to be hopeless. In good times as well as bad, folks are still alright.

But we all got some work to do fellow humans. Why is an old Doe still showing me how its done?

• Like 6

Pretty cool. I'm guessing that rear dam got broken out when they removed the water feed tube? Nothing like cold spring fed water.

the ! that's damaged is the front , the rear is the one, just above the spot light beam , your probably right on the intake tube.... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

TooDeep , that's the biggest field of sausage I ever seen , LOL 

i just might have to agree with this statement.. 😀

got my taste buds watering.

Edited by LedFTed
cause i can..

That's still small, there will be more. A couple miles away at the family farm is the same thing.  I usually have a group back in my trees (goes with retros story and there's a couple does doing the same thing) but this year they are drifted in pretty bad so I haven't seen them yet. I've walked out of my shop at night and had them do the pffftt thing about on my arm. 

This year the coon population was good along with skunks and everything. I need to get the 22 out and thin the rabbits some (wire chewing monsters). Walked out of the house about a month ago and gave a possum a good punt (stinking little things). So far no cats (mountain lions) at my place but have been spotted around the area.  The eagles did a good job thinning my mouser cat pack (down to one and use to have about 30). Coyotes are.plebtyful as well but they stay away from my place for the most part. 

If you can zoom in enough that's one of the suspected cat killers. The balds don't like their photo being taken. 

20170101_161951.jpg

• Like 2

Rabbits were becoming a big problem at my place too. Last winter a rabbit chewed up one of my solar panel power cables. They stood on the snow drifts and chewed the tender bark off from my young apple trees 4 feet up in the branches too. I considered trapping them this winter for relocation, but nature solved my problem before I ever set a trap. Over the course of about two weeks every silly wabbit 'cept for one was taken from my yard by a big Owl. I watched him take one of them as it tried to hide under my porch, but the wabbit was cornered. The Owl swooped down and stood on the left ski hoop on the Arctic Cat, then leaped & glided about 6 feet and nailed that wabbit as it panicked and tried to run past him. Just one wabbit left now... maybe someday that Owl will come back and take that one too.

• Like 2

I have a lot of animals around here , now that you mentioned it , the coons are plentiful this year , on the trail cams there are 7-8 coons at a time around every one of the 5 feeders we have loaded up and running  ---- if you like birds of prey this is the spot for you , I live 2 miles of woods from the Big Branch Federal Game Reserve and a bird sanctuary , eagles , ospreys , all kinds of hawks , kites ,  falcons , owls , my neighbor  use to raise homing pigeons and chickens and you could watch the birds of prey working them ,  the falcon is my favorite to watch , they hit the bird while flying , they do a in flight dive bomb on them , hit them so hard that it sounds like a .410 shotgun going off , the bird falls to the ground and they drop down on top and finish them off , and can barely get off the ground with a whole pigeon 

Man thats a big arse spider... bet it ate that bat lol..

nothing like that or even BIG bears, only the usual deer that cut through the yard.

few deer.jpg

• Like 3

we get those dang spiders in my warehouse...they hang on the side of the big bass amp speaker cabs and drum cases...they'll literally just sit there until you tap em..then they are so big that you can hear their legs tapping on the concrete floor as they skurry off...we have to really be careful not to just grab a rig without checking first...and they'll also park over the big sliding doors that we open to load the trucks...so you have to be careful not to frighten them as you open the door lest they fall down on you...but they never are aggressive..they don't raise up and challenge etc...but yeah, dang they get big.... I always tell my crew to "never shoot em, you'll just ! em off"  grin

Opened my shop door tonight and I don't know who was startled more, me or him. 

20200130_171206.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

LOL  Trash panda!

After watching "Guardians of the Galaxy" and now the Geico commercials, the kids started thinking a pet coon would be fun.  I don't think they realize the typical demeanor of a coon.

• Like 2

If caught young enough they can be domesticated some, depending how much time you spend with them. Their instincts are always there though. We had a couple fawns as pets when we was kids. Dad killed the mother with the disk and brought them home. They was like a couple of dogs but the GFP found out and turned them out into the wild. It took them about a month to get them though. Every time they showed up they would jump the fence and not come back until they left and then jump the fence back into the yard. I have a friend that had a pet badger that lived under his couch. He let him out one day and someone ran him over though.

• Sad 1

We had this little guy a couple of years ago.  He wandered up to dad while dad was working in the yard.  Dad picked him up and put him on the side of a big oak on the other side of the yard, and 30 mins later looked down and the little guy was sitting at his feet again looking up at him.

I had to take him to work with me in a cat carrier. LOL.  Not sure what happened to him, but mom's dog started barking at him and he just started squealing and curled up in a ball and died.  He was always really scrawny and tiny.

I've always wanted a possum or a coon.  A few years ago we had two baby coons on our front porch.  They were tiny but still growled and hissed at me, so I left them alone.

When I lived at the pool house I had a pet mallard.  He'd ride around town in my Jeep with me.  Was always priceless to see people's reaction when they looked over at us (no top or doors on the Jeep) and that duck would be looking them in the eye.

dadwhiskey.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/15/2020 at 1:41 AM, retro said:

Rabbits were becoming a big problem at my place too. Last winter a rabbit chewed up one of my solar panel power cables. They stood on the snow drifts and chewed the tender bark off from my young apple trees 4 feet up in the branches too. I considered trapping them this winter for relocation, but nature solved my problem before I ever set a trap. Over the course of about two weeks every silly wabbit 'cept for one was taken from my yard by a big Owl. I watched him take one of them as it tried to hide under my porch, but the wabbit was cornered. The Owl swooped down and stood on the left ski hoop on the Arctic Cat, then leaped & glided about 6 feet and nailed that wabbit as it panicked and tried to run past him. Just one wabbit left now... maybe someday that Owl will come back and take that one too.

Did you ever see a rabbit box trap , when I was a kid me Dad use to trap rabbits with them , they have made it illegal to use the boxes around here , I could show you a pic cause a have a mini decorative box on the porch --- them owls will hate you for using the box and might move on , LOL 

I don't know if I have ever seen that sort of rabbit trap. I use rectangular shaped live traps for small critters... catch red squirrels mostly with my smallest trap, cause they like to fill ATVs up with junk and they chew wires wherever they find them, I catch and release a few of those every year.

The last time I tried to use my larger sized live trap was to try to catch a Fisher that was hanging around my chicken coop. But a skunk found it right away.... was a bit of a standoff.... I didn't want to shoot the skunk while it was in my yard. So after thinking about my problem for a while, I grabbed an old blanket and held it up in front of me like a shield and walked slowly up to the frantic skunk inside my trap and draped that blanket over it putting the skunk in the dark. 🙂

I left him alone to calm down most of the day, then as the sun was beginning to go down I lifted the edge of the blanket, opened the door and slid a stick through the cage to hold the door open and backed away. The skunk ran out from under the blanket into the woods. I loaned that big live trap out and haven't seen it since. I'm pretty sure its being passed around amongst my neighbors, so if I ever need it again I'll just borrow it back.

That lone rabbit is still living in the sanctuary of my yard and buildings. I haven't seen that big owl in almost a month.

• Like 1

This is a mini rabbit box , it is best to burn the inside of the box  with a hand held propane torch , to get the smell right before using it 

AHXzNoKdS1+EXS90zCUOsQ.jpg

• Like 2

Any trackers out there , what makes a mark like this ? 

I took this pic a a while back on the edge of the woods out my yard , I never seen a track like that before or again 

IMG_0236.JPG

On 2/2/2020 at 1:44 PM, retro said:

I don't know if I have ever seen that sort of rabbit trap. I use rectangular shaped live traps for small critters... catch red squirrels mostly with my smallest trap, cause they like to fill ATVs up with junk and they chew wires wherever they find them, I catch and release a few of those every year.

The last time I tried to use my larger sized live trap was to try to catch a Fisher that was hanging around my chicken coop. But a skunk found it right away.... was a bit of a standoff.... I didn't want to shoot the skunk while it was in my yard. So after thinking about my problem for a while, I grabbed an old blanket and held it up in front of me like a shield and walked slowly up to the frantic skunk inside my trap and draped that blanket over it putting the skunk in the dark. 🙂

I left him alone to calm down most of the day, then as the sun was beginning to go down I lifted the edge of the blanket, opened the door and slid a stick through the cage to hold the door open and backed away. The skunk ran out from under the blanket into the woods. I loaned that big live trap out and haven't seen it since. I'm pretty sure its being passed around amongst my neighbors, so if I ever need it again I'll just borrow it back.

That lone rabbit is still living in the sanctuary of my yard and buildings. I haven't seen that big owl in almost a month.

red squirrels are tasty.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

red squirrels are tasty.

LedFted , if you got any tasty recipes for dem red squirrel , post it up on da food channel thread for all to enjoy ----- I like them deep fried crispy myself 

• Like 1

Well the cardinals like the snow.  The view we have to suffer with from the lazyboy. 😂 I tell my wife someone has to do it might as well be us. Lord willing many years to come also. 

F0E788D2-6AB9-45E5-B4A6-3404A972D35E.jpeg

368F6DA0-2BC6-494C-A222-BD586068262F.jpeg

• Like 3

7am this morning these creatures were out there, & again just now. I have no idea what they want! Well.. besides food...🤣

1deer.jpg

1deer1.jpg

• Like 2