jeepwm69

Steering yanking pretty badly on the Rubicon

Haven't ridden much lately, but had the in-laws in last weekend and we ran out on the farm to shoot a bit.

Put my brother in law (city boy) on the Rubicon since it's an automatic.  On the way back he said it was jerking to the side pretty badly. 

My kid complained of the same problem a while back, so I replaced the right CV axle and thought that had fixed it.  Been on one ride with it back in early October and no problems that day.

Didn't give any problems on the way out, and most of the way back to the house, but when he crossed a muddy water filled ditch  back close to home it started jerking.

I got on it thinking he was just being a sissy and found it was jerking BAD.  Tended more towards the right but almost had a back and forth feel to it.  When I put it in 4wd it wasn't as bad, and it would clear up for a few feet then start back again. 

When I got on it yesterday to pull it under the shed, smooth as silk.

Maybe a bad bearing that is catching, or do yall think it could be something in the diff?

• Like 2

I'd go with a bearing catching, with it being not as bad in 4wd mode, the drive line pressure maybe making the bearing catch not as noticeable ?till the driveline pressure slacks up,  plus being it does this in 2wd, and 4wd, would also make me think it's a wheel bearing catching. 

• Like 1

I have extra knuckles ready to bolt in (new ball joints and bearings) so guess it's time to try them out.

• Like 1

before you go that route, how does the diff oil look ? and I'm not saying something you don't know, lol but raise the front end, and check a few things out ... or i gather your thinking wheel bearing also ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

before you go that route, how does the diff oil look ? and I'm not saying something you don't know, lol but raise the front end, and check a few things out ... or i gather your thinking wheel bearing also ? 

Yeah, bearing seems to be the most logical thing to check next. 

Fluid was changed not too long ago, but I'll check it again.  That something that's cheap and easy to do.

• Like 1

the thing that gets me is it happen when he crossed the creek, so just thinking muck getting in where it shouldn't may have aggravated that bearing.  i take the creek was deep enough, to let the crud in ? 

Going simple Did you check the air in the tires and lug nuts being tight ----  also seen sometimes if you let them sit for a long time , the tire can get out of round , especially if the air was low ---  usually after a couple  rides they round out again 

• Like 1

Another thing I have seen is water getting into tires and making them ride funny , would bet if that happened up there where it gets cold and freezes , that would be wild 

• Like 1

When I saw this happen on my buddy's machine it was a cracked boot. As soon as he went through muddy water it did the same thing. Dirt got in the u-joint.

• Like 3

Haven't look at it yet.  It was a pretty deep, mucky ditch. 

Don't think it's tires because it does it for a bit, then smooths out. 

With the spare parts I have around I'll probably just swap a new knuckle on and see if that fixes it. 

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Haven't look at it yet.  It was a pretty deep, mucky ditch. 

Don't think it's tires because it does it for a bit, then smooths out. 

With the spare parts I have around I'll probably just swap a new knuckle on and see if that fixes it. 

Jeep, did you figure it out yet?

brake's perhaps,?, seems more like a bearing, though. water is a corrosive, but can be a lubricant, an can be used to pressure/flush debree that might be in a wheel bearing. old seals an such.

Edited by LedFTed

16 hours ago, PROV said:

Jeep, did you figure it out yet?

Not yet.  Haven't had any wrench time in the last week or so. 

• Thanks 1

@jeepwm69 maybe I can return a favour and give some advice vs. taking it all in!

I had a pulling feel on my machine too, turned out the lower shock bushing was gone. When I checked the bushing on the shock while installed it was tight, only did I realize how bad the bushing was once I removed the shock to do other work that the thing was basically completely gone. 

• Like 2

Still haven't messed with the front end.  Carb bowl was leaking so the tank was empty when I went to move it to the driveway to tear into the front end. 

Removed carb, have it torn down and soaking in berrymans.

It drives great most of the time, then will randomly start yanking to the side, usually after it's gone through some mud and water, which is what leads me to think it's a bearing seizing up sporadically.

Looking at the weather this week here, I probably won't be able to look at it until next weekend.  Have lots of tinkering in the shop I can do in the meantime though.

• Like 4

Swapped out the right knuckle, and rechecked the new (used) CV I'd put in, which still looked good.  Then I looked at the left side, and I discovered that the CV on the left axle had a tear in it that I missed before.  Went ahead and swapped out the left CV along with the knuckle and put in a different upper A-arm with new bushings and a grease zerk added while I was at it.  I also discovered that what I thought were loose tie rod ends was actually the nut on the steering stem loosened up a bit, so I got it tightened back down and that tightened up the steering substantially. 

Started raining cats and dogs while I was finishing up, so didn't have a chance to try it out yet.  I got soaked but I got it all back together.

• Like 2

and now ya know why i say power steering is worthless !, just one more part to go bad, no thanks !..lol.

• Like 1

This one didn't have PS.  Just a bad CV.  Of course, I replaced the wrong one first (turns out both had slightly torn boots)

• Like 1

I've had more nuts back off on non power steering models than one with. I have 2 machines with powers steering and they are the go to 4 wheeler. My first thought on this one was a CV that you missed but I figured if it was, you would find it.

• Like 2

I love power steering. Way easier on my elbows and wrists. If I get on one without it now the difference is unbelievable.

• Like 2

i went up to @basfnb's this weekend.  His brother picked up a 14 Rubicon with PS, and Basfnb has an 06 without PS.

Basfnb is running 8 wide Mudbugs on the front of his, his brother is running 10 wide lawn and gardens on his.  Can't tell a difference.

The PS on the early DCT Ranchers is what steered me away from PS.  The Foreman/Rubicon PS doesn't seem to be nearly as noticeable.

• Like 1

BTW, the little one and I rode out on the farm yesterday on this one for a bit. 

Drives great now and no pulling, so another one back in service.

• Like 2