freebo86

04 Foreman 450ES - Clean up, Repair, Maintenance & Enjoy

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Glad you got it.  I HATE drum brakes on these Hondas.  I just never have any luck keeping them working for long.  I've pretty much given up on them on a couple of my 500's.  The kids' 350 Rancher and 300 (350D rear end) both work well, and the wife's Rubicon rear brake works so far.  Mine?  Nope. 

where u live, you got plenty of tree's !..lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

where u live, you got plenty of tree's !..lol.

I just keep the discs working on the front, then I don't need the rears!

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I just keep the discs working on the front, then I don't need the rears!

just a reminder, cold one does not brake well !..lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

just a reminder, cold one does not brake well !..lol.

Mine still work at -20C.....lol

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

Mine still work at -20C.....lol

bundle that with wet snow and forget it lol! Brakes no worky. 

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Glad you got it.  I HATE drum brakes on these Hondas.  I just never have any luck keeping them working for long.  I've pretty much given up on them on a couple of my 500's.  The kids' 350 Rancher and 300 (350D rear end) both work well, and the wife's Rubicon rear brake works so far.  Mine?  Nope. 

In what sense? Like they seize or just don’t grab? When I took the stuff off surprisingly there was t a lot of water there. Most of it was in the hub (big black housing). There was almost none in the actual drum (where the shoes bite). 

Finished my install tonight, it’s all back together. I slobbered marine grease everywhere lol to get as tight of a seal as possible and to hopefully keep as much water out as I can! 

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'm not  it sure what cold he's talking about acold one in the hand, or cold brakes, lol. 

in hand..lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, freebo86 said:

In what sense? Like they seize or just don’t grab? When I took the stuff off surprisingly there was t a lot of water there. Most of it was in the hub (big black housing). There was almost none in the actual drum (where the shoes bite). 

Finished my install tonight, it’s all back together. I slobbered marine grease everywhere lol to get as tight of a seal as possible and to hopefully keep as much water out as I can! 

or..you could just not ride into lakes ?..lol.

i thought so, i did catch the tree idea, oh my poor front rack / bumper, too bad the flintstone deal won't work with these...... lol! 

pardon me freebo, i just couldn't pass that up, now back to our regularly scheduled program ;) 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, freebo86 said:

I think since the drum is aluminum in these, anything short of replacing the drum, shoes, and of course, all the seals just doesn't give much braking power. 

I've had a few drums that I've redone that worked ok for a short period of time.  If you get in any water it WILL find it's way in, and as you figured out, they don't work with mud and water in them.

But even those that have stayed dry just wouldn't stay adjusted tight.  Unless you put new OEM brake pads and a new OEM drum on there.  That lasted awhile, but was $$$ and ultimately still ended up with water in there, which effectively ruined it again.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 12:27 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I think since the drum is aluminum in these, anything short of replacing the drum, shoes, and of course, all the seals just doesn't give much braking power. 

I've had a few drums that I've redone that worked ok for a short period of time.  If you get in any water it WILL find it's way in, and as you figured out, they don't work with mud and water in them.

But even those that have stayed dry just wouldn't stay adjusted tight.  Unless you put new OEM brake pads and a new OEM drum on there.  That lasted awhile, but was $$$ and ultimately still ended up with water in there, which effectively ruined it again.

Maybe drilling a drain hole in the actual hub? I know the backing plate has like a drain hole.. how well it works? 🤷‍♂️

if I’m driving faster, 40mph or so and then let off throttle or sometimes not that fast the bike backfires. It seems to be more consistent on cooler weather too. What gives? Or just chalk it up as it is what it is at this point? My throttle range is strong at all points and if I tap it the bike just rears and wants to go! All 452ccs 😜

As you guys know this machine has been basically torn somewhat apart from top to bottom. 

On 5/10/2021 at 5:28 AM, Fishfiles said:

the OEM part number is 91051-HA7-651 , angular ball bearing , 30x54x24 ,Partzilla sells them for $47 , the  same bearing is used in all 400, 450  500 and 680s 

This bearing is also known as:
Honda: 
91051-HA7-651
Can-Am: 705400006
Industry Number: DE0681CS18-2RS
Industry Number: DAC30540024

KML sealed bearing part# DE0681CS18-2RS

The two seal description   clark seal part# TC 38 55 6 1,  clark seal part# TCZ 40 58 7P

If you do get a bearing that is already greased , it is a good idea to wash the Yuk Fat grease out and re-grease with some quality grease 

just heard about Yuk Fat grease tonight, on a thread. TM was there, along with Wilson. go figure., not those that were there, but running into this. getting my Mojo back..

who is TM ? you lost me on that one. i never posted about yak fat, i posted it was a nic name given to that cheep grease packed into pivot work bearings, and i reckon now, all balls ? personaly i would repack them with bel-ray water proof, and or marine grade grease. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Backfire could be too lean on AF mix; try opening your pilot 1/8 turn and see it condition improves 

Edited by Goober

5 hours ago, Goober said:

Backfire could be too lean on AF mix; try opening your pilot 1/8 turn and see it condition improves 

I've had it back as far as 2.5 turns and the bike seems to run not as well, throttle response isn't quite there..

Picked up oil today, now that the machine has 15 or so hours since the engine was re-done and the intial break in is over. this will be the 3rd chance.

image.png

• Like 1