grantlac

gear reduction

looking to buy a 2013 420 with a 69% primary gr and a 27% secondary gr how short are the gears gonna be, thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum Grantlac , you got me on this reduction question , usually I know a bit about reductions , but the 420 with a secondary reduction is something I have never heard about yet , @jeepwm69 might know , just gave him a mention so maybe he will chime in soon 

• Like 1

welcome to the forums, you may want to touch base with jeep, or fishfiles. 

i was going to post this a few hours ^^^ but he said looking to buy.

If anyone would know about a 420 " double " reduction , I would bet it would be Jeremy Lee @ https://www.facebook.com/reductionboss 

Are you maybe taking about using a 69% reduction in the engine and portals that are 27% reduction , the common  portals reductions I see are 15 % and 30 %, would guess  a set for a 420 would have to be custom made and upwards of $3,000 a set plus the engine reduction , another $500 + , could see a set up like that going for $4,000 

• Like 2

I saw you posted a pic and mentioned portals in the TRX300 thread. I saw the reduction gear set but I didn’t know that’s what they where called. That’s a pretty cool invention.  You call them high wheelers?

9 minutes ago, Goober said:

I saw you posted a pic and mentioned portals in the TRX300 thread. I saw the reduction gear set but I didn’t know that’s what they where called. That’s a pretty cool invention.  You call them high wheelers?

HighWheelers , I like that term , you got the TradeMark on that one !!! 

You can run portals and not have to use a reduction in the engine as the portals come in different ratios , huge tire guys  run both engine reductions and portals  -----  but portals  are not available for all atvs over the counter , they are avalible mostly for the newer utvs and atvs ---- but builders do  build them for certain models , $800-$1,000 a wheel 

• Like 2

I've been offline for a few days.  I'm guessing he's looking at running a primary GR on the clutch, secondary GR on the secondary.

I don't know enough about it to give advice though.

I've had Chris Clark build me a 15% primary for my 500 Foreman (same as the 420 GR's) and he can do a 15% secondary too. 

Reduction Boss on bookface seems to have the biggest selection and the gears are one piece, not welded. 

On 12/22/2020 at 10:11 PM, grantlac said:

looking to buy a 2013 420 with a 69% primary gr and a 27% secondary gr how short are the gears gonna be, thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. What size of tires are on the machine? They gear them down for tall tires so if they have some shorter ones on it, it will be a slow tractor.