Wheeler

Implement Paint - Re-paint Hood/Tailgate..

Well upon my implement paint research for my atv racks & bumper, my interest sure peaked because I need my hood & tailgate repainted. I’ve watched YouTube videos of people painting entire cars with that stuff. & even videos on how to make them shine with wet sand & Polish... so I’m going to start with my atv racks to pop my cherry & get my hands wet.. then gonna grab some scarp tailgate ect from junkyard & try my hand at that prior to my own truck! But wanted to thank u all again for blowing my mind... 

• Like 5

Might help with the rock chips on the hood......

The front bumper of my F-350 is just rittled with them from Alberta back roads....lol

• Like 1

wheeler if you don't mind post some of those vides about (links) buffing that paint out, all I've ever seen is a flat rock hard finish, i know when used on moldboard plows it takes along time to ware off! so i can say that's some tuff arse paint. 

• Like 2

I was up last nite from 11pm till 5am then today 11am-1pm watching YouTube on how to paint, techniques, best guns, ect. I’ll be doing my quad racks, bumper, my truck hood & tailgate for sure!

• Like 2

After all my research I knew I needed a larger compressor. So today I made a score! I looked used but got this 20gallon 6.2CFM@40psi compressor for the sale price of $250. Reg $450. I had $111 in credits so basically $139. Once I sell mine that I have now for $100 it will be a very good & cheap upgrade!!!

3FA32767-F9B3-479E-85A8-005B682415B4.jpeg

• Like 4

I have to be over 20hrs of YouTube watched for research/learning now. So I’m going to require a LVLP air gun to match my compressor as a HVLP gun will work but chew up the air too fast. If I’m lucky, I’ll get my rack & bumper done this week when I get home from work! 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I have to be over 20hrs of YouTube watched for research/learning now. 

20 hours < that gives a Bachlor of Arts in painting in  You-Tube vo-tech training 

• Haha 1

Few dollars spend again yesterday. I KNOW I could of done it cheaper if I would if ordered online.. but hey it’s done... I replaced all my fittings on the guns/tools to high flow, replaced the quick connect to high flow aluminum, auto drain water separator & had a 3’ hose made up. Still need a LVLP spray gun... 

I have a 1/2” air hose/reel. It makes it a lot more dissociate to locate fittings. I bought it 6 years ago & never noticed at the time. I just always made it work. 

BD54C821-7F16-4CC5-87F9-753754A8A56A.jpeg

4E49C305-C243-4557-8DD7-9F6EDF296683.jpeg

DC772201-6B10-40F5-84E3-5A1FA2D2B321.jpeg

• Like 3

OH , I see something that would be beneficial to you , well maybe you'll don't have the problem we do with water build up in the system becaue of our temps and humidity  , but you make a pipe with double 90's on the top and bottom with a bleeder valve in the middle of the bottom cross pipe , it catches all the water ---see if I can come up with a pic 

• Like 1

Sold my old compressor today for $125. Not to shabby.. $14 to upgrade from a 5gallon 1.3hp to a 20gallon 2hp. 

• Like 3

Well; i used to work on engines, an we had to strip the block, repaint it. that was when oven cleaner would work, for the most part, dissolving the paint. sorta wear protective gloves, while ya use it, an dont inhale the fume's. well, i didn't wear the gloves, but tried to stay away from the fumes as well as i could.

the paint i used during that time period, was in a spray-can, rated for 500f. plasti-kote. it was fast dry,, an enamel paint. i used the paint on more than engines though. it was the only paint, i have found so far, to have Ford engine Red., i think the way its supposed to be. so if ya cant find the paint ya want,  just have it made, or mix it yourself.

Now for a question, is Enamel the best paint? this gos to those that know, i dont.

Edited by LedFTed

Look what’s here.....

been watching more YouTube. For my bumper & racks I’m thinking rustoleum semi gloss mixed 3 parts paint, 1 part acetone, & lil shot hardener.. 

things are gonna happen while I’m home next 7 days!!

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

I never tried to spray it before , but have mixed Rustoleum , thinner and hardener and brushed it on , never used acetone before , it is very tuff paint  and with a brush it will lay flat and you can't even see the brush marks ---that is a good mix and should look great sprayed ----- I really like the Rustoleum Self-Ethicing Primer in the rattle can as my base on any project , does a great job asa rust preventer ,  it lays flat and the paint sticks well to it 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wheeler said:

things are gonna happen while I’m home next 7 days!!

Bet a few LaBatts will bite the dust , eh ! -  LOL 

• Haha 1

This is the only Rustoleum I can find. I’ve contacted all the local tractor places & no one has any. This is what I can find. Think this should be ok?...

ACADD439-38E3-4196-A9AF-41BEB395C243.png

Edited by Wheeler

Down here in the lower 48 , it looks like this now days , never seen a can like that before ::

image.png

• Like 2

Must be the same stuff. As i can’t find a can like u posted. The one I posted is oil based. 

Let’s do this!!!! I changed out couple more fittings on compressor to high flow as well!

0C91E1E5-AC16-4CEC-8E25-BE1A98DFBCFE.jpeg

B6E2200E-E020-4E7F-8B60-18A54F35774F.jpeg

EBDFA381-E6FD-4E98-A767-E7DC2997E957.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3

I think my plan will be to spray the bumper first. I want to make sure I know what the heck I'm doing.... once I know I get that down, I'll do the rack....

@Fishfiles I made sure I bought the one needed for an excellent paint job.... 15 Blue..... hahaha

• Like 1

Wow. lol differ t than I thought... gun acted out at first spraying erratic, then cleared up. 1st coat flashing off.. second soon to come. 

6D209368-08AA-4A33-99C6-D23F2243FCFC.jpeg

4464AC38-3D6F-4627-912D-8BE71C0FBB18.jpeg

3B78BCD6-CE03-4C93-AC86-FBAA8F6F3956.jpeg

D382062F-258E-4DA4-A27A-E4673B622CAD.jpeg

0DA53535-CBB6-4073-B56A-CC8285BE06D2.jpeg

B1F51F82-6588-4505-A406-2F2026D2A994.jpeg

691138AC-5E63-4B4D-8545-D5885574F5F1.jpeg

737A476A-6AF6-4EAB-A350-90EA8395F454.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Older cans were yellow and black 

should be marked implement, farm, or industral paint, i can't see the pic fish posted. 

• Like 1