Wheeler

Implement Paint - Re-paint Hood/Tailgate..

My gun acting out.... It was fine when I tried the laquer thinner cleaning it.. but now it's been spraying intermittently kinda... I've got he second coat on.. I tried removing the regulator & using the one on compressor to see what that did.. no change.. NO way I'd paint the hood or tail gate like this.. I'll have to figure this out... 

Ya it looks good!  I'll do 3 coats & then see how it all looks... 

Having the bedliner on their before made it a lot harder to do for sure!!!!!!

& Yes @_Wilson_™ I'm not sure this is the type of paint I originnaly wanted.. I think after seeing this dry, that implement paint is thicker... I dunno?? all new to me...

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

i don't have much experience using a spray gun, I'm just a rattle can man, or brush like fish does, my dad was a wiz at spraying with a gun when he painted some of his classic cars, and tractors, i just did the wrenching. lol, that was more to more my liking. lol, it was kind of a reverse  to hold that flash light, but more like pop hand me that wrench, plz sir. lol. 

• Like 2

I'll figure it out, & learn how to do this.. but damnnnn, I knew 35hrs of youtube wouldn't be this simple ROTFLMO!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

should be marked implement, farm, or industral paint, i can't see the pic fish posted. 

Wonder why you can't see the pic ? Just that one or other ones too ??? 

• Like 1

i don't if this will help, or not, but when i apply  rattle can paint the thinner coat the better while the previous layer is still somewhat soft. 

probably my ipad acting up, just that one pic fish, no big deal. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

!... oh man what a mess I have to clean up on the paint gun cup ect.. 3rd coat looks really good even though the gun not 100%... I like it...

• Like 1

yeah, that's another reason i never got into spray guns ... pop spent more time cleaning the gun, then painting, if memory severs me right he would fill the cup with thinner (pure thinner) shake the gun around to mix it then spray it into a clean metal can, i couldn't say how good it worked, but he used the same gun for years. 

ya a big mess, I have more on me than the bumper... I had a mask on, & still feel lil wierd.. !.. not good tbh.. I dunno.. the air flows outta gun perfect, so either the paint too thick for the 1.3 tip or something...

• Like 1

Well I found what I was looking for. Low gloss black farm paint. It says on the can u can thin & add hardener. I’m going to attempt to respray over the rustoleum paint I did on the bumper. This time I have plastic to make a booth, & I will wear my mask entire time!! I bought gloves so I don’t get it all over me, & I’m gonna use the new 3M PPS cups so paint doesn’t go all over & can paint at more of an angle. 

FYI.. as some of u know I made a terrible mistake the other nite. I was in too close quarters with not enough ventilation for too long. I paid the price heavily yesterday. In bed ALL day! Nausea, shakes, all out plain sick, massive headache! SOO PLEASE NEVER BE AROUND PAINT FUNES TOO LONG OR WITHOUT THE PROPER FILTER MASK (which I do have!!) 

04110DBA-F035-4447-9391-7A8BF82ACB32.jpeg

• Like 2

glad your okay wheeler, I've been there, just not that bad. that's the paint, should hold up really good, back when i was using it, the can had a defrent looking lable, but yep, that's it. 

• Like 1

FYI, that implement paint will be sticky and soft for a while.  It takes warm temps and time for it to get hard.  Once it does it's rock hard.

Careful with those fumes!  They'll get you!

• Like 1

Just got home tonight from work. So the bumper has been hanging there since I painted it over a week & half a go. Well... I must say now that it’s cured, it’s quiet impressive really.. feels a lot tougher for sure. So for comparison, I’m going to spray my rear rack with the Krylon Implement paint & let it cure. Then see how they look & feel as far as durability goes... 

@jeepwm69 U r correct for sure. If the rustoleum paint took that long to cure I’m sure the implement will too! 

• Like 3

two coats on... initial thoughts.... I like bedliner better, but I'll have to see how this sets up & cures...

20 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

two coats on... initial thoughts.... I like bedliner better, but I'll have to see how this sets up & cures...

I've done stuff with bedliner in the past.  Namely Jeep bumpers.  The problem I had with it is, once it starts to peel, it just keeps on peeling and peeling. 

And it's not easily touched up. 

The implement paint we can get in aerosol cans in the US from Tractor Supply.  The rattle cans don't have the hardener in them, so they aren't as good as the gallons with hardener added, but it does make for easy touch ups.

@jeepwm69 that’s exactly what I tried the aerosol.  I used an entire cam on the rear rack. It’s drying now. 

Well decision is made... bedliner is where it's at... I'm going back with Dupli-Color Bed Liner... 

13 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Well decision is made... bedliner is where it's at... I'm going back with Dupli-Color Bed Liner... 

What is it about the paint that you don't like?

Once I gave up on the bedliner on the Jeep bumpers and switched to paint, I've never looked back.

This is what I've been using.  Oil based enamel.  This is red, but they sell it in black, JD green, etc

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-tractor-truck-implement-oil-base-enamel-mf-red-1-gal-1030932?store=371&cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1030932&gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j457tlpy2NGGB8ITOiUItnzDqjWTY3rz9k_lKPXoCM5a0-sQwEy4rRoCCtwQAvD_BwE

Coverage wasn’t the best, as I could still see imperfections, & just overall not the thick tractor paint I was hoping for. I have 1 coat of bedliner over the implement & I’m super happy!  Maybe it’s just personal preference... but for 5 years I’ve had the bedliner & have been super happy with it. I gave er a solid go! I really did.. but I’m sticking with my old faithful..

Edited by Wheeler

well, wheeler sure hate you spent that money and time, and the paint didnt have the effect you were expecting, but they sure look good now! plenty of texture. which you wouldn't get from implement paint.