Orville538

08 700xx shut off while riding

Hello guys,I haven't been in this site for a while, I had some help for my 300ex here a few months back, but its gone now,now I just finished the build on the 700xx and the first time I turned it on it started right away, rode it but had other things to address but I just wanted to try it,now second ride,I had it all set,it startted right away, I don't know if I should of let it warm up a bit,but after 1 minute I took it for a quick ride and coming back home when I pulled the clutch in it just shut off,and I tried starting it but nothing, so I pushed it home and checked for spark,it gave me a ! of a shock!!!!  the spark plug I had was a ZFR7F-6 and it was black, so I put in The correct one ZFR7F-11 but it didn't start,but it did have a little bit of ticking....so valve need adjustment for sure....

Well congrats on getting it going... that was quite the uphill battle!

Could be many things but I will take a shot and say that it could be related to fuel.

The filter on this model is prone to clogging... especially after sitting.

Honda made a relocation kit that moves the filter off the bottom of the pump sump.

Have you purged the fuel system and checked the flow? 

The service manual describes the method for turning the fuel pump on and measuring the amount of fuel dispersed when the key turns on.

It would run if not completely clogged or if the pump hasn't given out. 

Oil check on this bike is different from most others.. make extra sure you are following the manual 

Let us know what you find out!

I have a habit replacing fuel filters and cleaning or just replacing (if they are really in need) the fuel injectors anytime I get a used fuel injected toy, especially in this day and age of ethanol. 

• Like 1