Fishfiles

Accidents

luckey call there ...(glad those kids weren't hurt!h  sure must have been a shock for your friend... riding atvs on (all public) roads up in my area is completely illegal ... but the farmers do.... and the law cuts them slack... but with the way things are now, I'm hearing more, and more riding around in the columbia .. I'm not talking road legal utv s ...  this is happening over the weekends late at night ... people are just ignoring the laws ... 

• Like 1

Been working on a friend of my wife's husband to get a machine for the past couple of years. A year or so ago he out of the blue picked up a 2012 Can Am Outlander 500, in visiting with him he said he was going ton mo look for another one for his wife to ride.  Kept  putting it off then loaded the thing up and took it to the eastern part of the state where his son lives and he has some opportunities for hunting and left it there. Kept urging him to get a 2-up machine and always had some reason for not doing it. Fast forward to about a month ago he called me and said he had just purchased a 2020 Outlander 650 max and was waiting for the rear heated grips to be put on the handles. He went out to eastern Montana and was helping his son on the ranch here he works round up some cattle for branding.  He was using his machine to look for cattle and went up a draw away from everyone else and made the wrong decision to climb something he shouldn't have.  He flipped the quad over backwards onto himself,  it then rolled a couple into times down the hill into  a shallow creek bed upside down. He had hit his head, wasn't sure if he was knocked out or not, rolled over to her up and had excruciating pain in his chest he sat there for about 10 minutes then finally got to his feet. He was very dizzy and hurting pretty badly. He got down to the machine and it took him 4 tries to get it flipped back over onto its wheels. He finally did so and let it sit for a while to let the fluids settle and drain back down. Handle bars were jacked up pretty bad some plastics broken he managed to bend them enough so he could steer it and roade out of there to find some help. 

Long story short. 2 broken ribs, concussion,  about $1000 damage to machine. In visiting with him found out that the previous owner had installed a motorcycle throttle on the 4 wheeler. When he ent up the hill he somehow needed up twisting the throttle which caused more throttle and flipped him over. Finale......he came home and called the dealership and told them he wasn't buying the new machine. I'm bummed cause it would have been a great opportunity to get to know him better. I am very glad he's okay, but wish I'd have known it had that type of throttle set up on it so I could have told him to get it off of there. Unfortunate accident that caused him to be soured on riding at all now. ! probablybget the other one fixed and sell it as well.😕

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I told this story on the old site , but here it is again short form , my buddies' son's friend hit a tree while riding in Mississippi and spent like 6 weeks in the hospital , when he was better he went riding again , they rode all day Sunday and till 12:00 at night , loaded up and everyone was leaving , the guy told them to go ,  he was Ok by himself and  said he wanted to go around one more time , the next day the guys mom called and asked where  was he , they went back to the spot the next day after work , his truck was still there , road the trails and found him , he hit the same exact tree in a hard turn that  he hit before and was dead from head injuries 

Yikes, sad. I dont think I've ever gone riding alone. Always that thought in the back of my mind

dang! that's always been a worry of mine too....i always remember to take those handy talkies along ...and let my neighbor dale know if he doesn't hear back from me .... he calls me via the radio, or phone ... if I'm running behind... 

I have a ‘13 XT Max and it’s super fun but HUGE compared to my 86. It’s wide and tall and heavy—i am very careful about my path of travel. Plus if you have two adults don’t go fast because the front suspension is very soft—it dives!

My friend also has an Outlander—was out mapping by himself—on two separate trips rolled it over on himself. Broke ankle and then leg and concussion both times. 

if he had my stock TRX300 he would’ve had more fun and probably not been hurt.

• Like 1

kind of why I've been toying with idea of wheel spacers ...wider stance .. at least with my deal it would be a plus on safety ....   not sure about stress on the drivetrain .. 

• Like 1

I got myself into a hairy situation last fall, just wasn't using my head and lollygagging up a steep ravine climb with a steel 55 gallon bear bait barrel strapped onto my front rack. I was in the riverbottom retrieving a bait barrel and load of bait that had got no action. No one knew I was out there in the woods or even knew where I had placed any of my barrels.

I approached the steep ravine loaded down heavy in 1st gear and only made it about 1/4 way up the bank when the Rancher started spinning the tires. So I dug the tires in deep enough to hold me still with both brakes on and turned to look behind me to make a backout plan. I had to go straight back about 10 feet then turn to the right a bit to miss a tree, then straighten back up again and roll through a shallow gulley at the bottom. There are trees in my way everywhere I ride out there, there are no trails whatsoever.

So anyway, I thought that it was gonna be easy to back that loaded bugger down.... but I was dead wrong... as soon as I began to back up all four tires began to slide so I had to let go of the brakes so I could steer.... and thats when I lost control. I made it around that first tree alright but the bike was going too fast by the time I cleared the tree and I oversteered it a bit (was standing up, looking behind me, getting panicky by then) when I tried to straighten it up. The bike was partly sideways and headed for a another tree so I jerked on it to correct it and skidded it to a stop completely sideways, with both brakes locked up, on the upper edge of that shallow gulley. Then I fell off the bike into the gulley as my own momentum didn't have any brakes. 🙂

The Rancher teetered and leaned over on my knee (my leg was against the right-front tire, I was laid out on the ground) then held still enough so I could relax my knee against the tire and get my butt up and out from under it. It had almost rolled over onto me.... scared the snot outta me once I had a moment to think about the foolishness I had just done. If that bike had flopped over onto me I might have been trapped by it, since I would have had to roll the bike uphill in order to get it off of me. So I smoked a celebratory cigarette, backed the bike up far enough where I could get it wound up in 2nd gear and come ripping up that bank in 3rd, then downshifted to 2nd as I slowed to go around another tree about 20 feet from the top. Why didn't I hit that ravine like that the first time...?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, retro said:

So I dug the tires in deep enough to hold me still

thats quick thinking !!  i got in kind of same deal with a loaded trailer of wood....(had plenty of tongue / draw bar weight) i just didn't realize how wet the ground was cause  the old tires ( older pic) just wouldn't dig in.... so i hit the brakes ... shifted into reverse , and hit the kill switch. unloaded a few lbs .. that's all that saved me.... noway i was going to jack knife backing down ... lol... just wish i had taken the time to grab some pics... 

image.jpg

• Like 2

I learned about digging in to the hill to hold still riding dirt bikes growing up. They are a lot scarier to back down a hill than an ATV is, usually just bailed off and watched. 🙂

• Like 2

Hills and 4 wheelers don't go together well , I told this story before but think it was on the old site , we don't have many hills down here , but we have levees , was riding my ATC250ES up a levee , almost to the top and the front wheel came up and flipped over back wards , throw me off , the bike and me went tumbling down , handle bar hit me in the face , broke my check bone called an orbital , nose and jaw multiple times , 140 stitches , 3 operations  , 19 weeks with my jaws wired shut and suspension wires coming out the side my face like Frankenstein , I was out of work for about 6 months 

Yikes, sad. I dont think I've ever gone riding alone. Always that thought in the back of my mind

Fish that's horrible. That is definitely one of our fears riding where we ride. Lots of climbing and descending where we ride. When leading my wife or a group of people I am very careful, if something looks too steep for me or my wife or if I feel it will make whi ever is with us uncomfortable, I'll turn around.  It's not worth it.

• Like 1

I don't really have a choice ... I'd spend a small fortune on firewood .. if i had to pay out of pocket .. but being I've delt with very unstable ground with heavy loads ... i kind of count myself ( knock on wood ) lucky .. i believe i recall that ... all you ate was chili via a strawn vita mix machine ... and chocolate malts ?? 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 9:04 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

I don't really have a choice ... I'd spend a small fortune on firewood .. if i had to pay out of pocket .. but being I've delt with very unstable ground with heavy loads ... i kind of count myself ( knock on wood ) lucky .. i believe i recall that ... all you ate was chili via a strawn vita mix machine ... and chocolate malts ?? 

Wilson , You got a good memory , chili in a Vita-mix , turned in to a chili malt and chocolate malts -------  one week in the hospital the first round , 19 weeks with jaws wired shut and about a week to build up the jaw muscles to be able to chew after the wires came off , so about 21 weeks of not chewing , no fun there ---chewed about 200 packs of gum to build up them jaw muscles----- funny story , after getting the wires off , I wanted a roast beef sandwich bad , so we went to my uncle's po-boy shop and got one , I tried to take a bite and I could barely get my mouth opened wide enough and could not chew , when you don't use a muscle for an extended time , it don't work any more ---wound up taking the beef off the sandwich and cutting it up in to tiny pieces ---Larry Bird played basket ball with the Celtics broke his orbital and had the suspension wires also , it was a painful deal 

i hear you! it took a while before my shoulder was 100% .... but i can sure tell when the barometric pressure starts to drop... just like that old commercail times ... takes a licking, and keeps on ticking. 

• Like 1

We been having some really bad highway accidents

today was a bad construction accident , a guy that builds bulkheads and docks had a excavator on a barge going under a fixed bridge , he was too high , heard he pumped water into the barge to clear the bridge , water shifted , he was in the cab while being pulled by a small boat , the barge flipped , he was pinned between the machine and bridge , he was air lifted by helicopter , I thought I had some pics on my phone with air lift hovering on the bridge and the corner of the barge barely sticking out the water , the excavator is out of sight ,  I heard the phone  click , but now none of the pics can be found , can't imagine where I put them 

man... i hope the fella comes out okay ... do you think it will make the local news down your way ? any good hard working decent person .... well... it bothers me ... i reckon i got that from being with fire rescue ..... 

i ride alone most times, but before i go anywhere ?, i tell folks where i am going, and when to expect me back ?. if i'm not back at that time ?, come look for me, or send some one to come find me. we all do stupid stuff !, but that does not mean we dont have to keep doing it every day !..lol. i am very careful these days ever sense my motor cycle wreck in '08, i'm too old for  wrecks and to broke for hospitals !..lol.

• Like 2

The guy that flipped the barge and was crushed  by the excavator passed away yesterday morning 

• Sad 4

I hope this link works for you'll , this is something to see ::

• Like 1

I'm  not seeing it on my on ether the smart phone or ipad .... but it's probably just on my end ?? this is all i see. 

image.jpg