Fishfiles

Accidents

Well...... I'd say (just me) i blow past them on straight stretches... But now I'm talking semi truck loaded to the gills..... And LE does let it go to a certain point, which they don't have to do.... So.... I dont push my so called luck.. Just enough speed where i don't strain the truck, but not enough (in my opinion) to be a danger on the road, and  a danger to other drivers.... But..... I'd they would just pick one standard speed say like 55 i wouldn't mind having 45 every so often.... I recall some when the interstates in tenn were 55.... Then steadily over time they bumped up and bumped up.... Many here hated the idea of higher I-road speed .... Claimed it would be very problematic .... It was at first, but the slower posted speeds in tenn affected neighboring states with higher posted speeds, and lower speeds here did cause traffic congestion i think it's the so many defrent posted spees in a short stretch that causes most problems, well that and tenn has the largest (or one of) populas of total idiots behind the wheel... I don't know right off hand how we rank in traffic problems but i wouldn't doubt in the top 10.... And Nashville has most of them bone heads, and they can keep them..... and i recall when we could drive slower types of vehicles,  equiptment etc etc .... Now .... You take your life in your own hands ..... It's just crazy... And road rage here is becoming a very big issue, ! I think that's nation wide... If you haven't seen it yet... New show i told a few about road wars... I think i told Bcs ... When he found out OPL was replscing live pd a knock off of live pd just as good if not better...... road wars  actually is just plum crazy at some of the reactions some people do ? Almost unreal..... 

7 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Odd thing happened to me on AL 180 westbound.   Speed limit 35 at a traffic signal.   Rounding a rt hand curve watching the traffic signal, I looked to the right and see a guy about 15' feet off the right side holding up a stop sign.  WTH!!!!.  My initial reaction was to apply the brakes until I was assured all was clear.   The guy behind me had a different opinion and nearly hit me.

What's you opinion?  I feel I I have the right to apply brakes at anytime and the driver behind me has the obligation to stop but also shouldn't hit the brakes unless there is a reason. 

I still have no clue why a stop sign was held up so close to my lane but know it wasn't even close to MUTCD standards.  I'm known to err on the side of caution.

What is the opinion of the group?  Blow by the improperly placed stop sign or apply the brakes until assured all is clear?

Don't know what to think of that    ----   any idea who was the guy with the stop sign was ? County worker , Sheriff , DOTD ??? 

On 12/16/2022 at 5:34 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

I debated on posting this.... Don't care to be a downer... But never the less ... I think i should because it's so redicious ..... A MCSD was killed a few days ago... Now i know most of them, and have heard of the fellah... Well..... I'm on about my regular day ending... And i get this voice mail... From mike (a good friend) says did i hear about what happened on highway 43 south  ( same road i  used to haul grain to laweranceberge on) so i call back.. He goes on about an accident that cost brad miller 68 years old and a 19 year veteran of the MCSD... Details were he was running traffic control for a highway painting machine... And was struck from behind by a driver of a speeding SUV ...word is he was texting... Now most of us now know it's very easy to spot those newer style led lighted patrol vehicles (especially  on a straight flat stretch of blacktop) ems and fire rescue etc etc .... But this guy apparently didnt.... I told mike no id not heard one thing on radio... But also the state of Tennessee is in the process of going all digital..... And as of right now the equipment to receive radio traffic is getting dam near impossible to find, much less afford, (already updated so I can pickup THP state wide) plus the fact the new system isn't up and running yet... So it's just a gamble if one was to go out and spend tons of cash update systems, told him i wasn't going to right now, and might get out of it all the way, because it's mostly bad news... And i do not like people calling me to ask me what happened, offering is deferent, but,  being asked is not much lower then rubber necking IMO ......so he goes on t tell me he had passed the officer sitting in his car doing TC ... Mike was hauling top soil for Davis trucking....well later when he was on the way back... Both sides of 43 were closed... Ems fire rescue were on scene and life flight was landing on the highway... Well an officer informed him he'd need to take another route, but mike being the nice guy with a bunch of friends asked what happened..the officer told him he wasn't going to say, but it would be announced on WKRN news 2 in Nashville.... Well apparently he found out before hand (i figured he would) so he calls me back tells me what happened... Said officer Miller was struck from behind, i said why life fight ? He said for the other driver ...... I'm like wtf!..... I said didnt you tell me he was at fault he said yeah, but they are concerned if he stays in Maury Regional someone will kill him for taking the officers life.... So they flight end him to Vanderbilt in Nashville .... We talked over a few things.. I said you know why this happened right ? He says yeah.... Main reason is because the speed limits change so much in such a short stretch..... I can tell yaw 1st had it's plain stupid one Zone is 35 ..... Then 45 then 55 then 65 and play it again over and over again... You can't have speed limits changing so many times in such a short distance!! It's burns me up that some idiot chose to set it up like that.... Maybe good revenue for speeding tickets among other violations..... But it cost an officer his life...to continue ..... Some of yaw have heard of the THP officer Harvey Briggs ?? .... I was best friends with Harv ..... And I'm here to tell you that mess was all fake..... And that balless little punk better never set foot back in the state of tenn... Because i know for a fact if he comes back for any reason.. He will never lieve here alive, and I'm jot talking about what I'd do... I'm refurring to most of the people on my county.... Harv was a very nice officer... And i saw the un edited video... I know for a fact Harv DID NOT KNOCK HIS MASK OFF, because harv had already turned around to walk off before that ! head took his off and threw it at the tree..... That's two of our officers down... Harv, well i know where he is, but I'm not saying.... I thought about calling him, but with what he's had to deal with, best i let him alone for now, but i others and! God know the truth.... I can't say right now what I'd do if i get my hands on him... But i know what other friends of Harv said....so yeah i hope he has enough hair on his balls to come back.... This is not a rant, just the way it is and it's going to be... This is the pricks pic..... He's not just caused trouble in my state .... He's also caused problems in other states. 

image.jpg

What you said above that i bolded is the sad truth......

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 6:07 PM, 56Sierra said:

Odd thing happened to me on AL 180 westbound.   Speed limit 35 at a traffic signal.   Rounding a rt hand curve watching the traffic signal, I looked to the right and see a guy about 15' feet off the right side holding up a stop sign.  WTH!!!!.  My initial reaction was to apply the brakes until I was assured all was clear.   The guy behind me had a different opinion and nearly hit me.

What's you opinion?  I feel I I have the right to apply brakes at anytime and the driver behind me has the obligation to stop but also shouldn't hit the brakes unless there is a reason. 

I still have no clue why a stop sign was held up so close to my lane but know it wasn't even close to MUTCD standards.  I'm known to err on the side of caution.

What is the opinion of the group?  Blow by the improperly placed stop sign or apply the brakes until assured all is clear?

If someone rear ends you, and you didn't swerve in front of them and slam on your brakes (which they better have on camera) then THEY are at fault.

"Following too close for conditions"

My kid just rear ended one of her friends when a deer ran out in front of the friend and my kid was riding right on the friend's rear. 

I was !, because my kid wasn't where she was supposed to be when the accident happened.  The friend came out crying and said she was sorry she'd caused the accident, and I said "You did nothing wrong.  ! over there always follows to close, and I told her she was going to rear end someone."

So for several weeks now, when I see my kid......red.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

If someone rear ends you, and you didn't swerve in front of them and slam on your brakes (which they better have on camera) then THEY are at fault.

"Following too close for conditions"

My kid just rear ended one of her friends when a deer ran out in front of the friend and my kid was riding right on the friend's rear. 

I was !, because my kid wasn't where she was supposed to be when the accident happened.  The friend came out crying and said she was sorry she'd caused the accident, and I said "You did nothing wrong.  ! over there always follows to close, and I told her she was going to rear end someone."

So for several weeks now, when I see my kid......red.jpg

I think the new collision avoidance systems on cars where the brakes are applied will be found to cause more rear ender accidents.  My 21 Tundra has this feature and it has already hit the brakes after the person pulling across my lane had already cleared.   I saw it coming, applied brakes and when the danger was over got off the pedal and ready to get back on the skinny pedal when WHAM.  The truck hit the brakes again.  The poor guy behind me almost hit me and flipped me off big time.  How do let him know it wasn't my fault.  My Daughter in Law has had a few close calls in her newer CRV.  Disable that feature and get involved in an accident and when the lawyers find out the safety feature was disabled and your ! is grass.

• Confused 1

That doesn't shock me at all..... And my guess would be if it does cause an accident the owner will be held fully responsible in stead a faulty safety feature that's not even needed in the first place.... I feel for those people...my thinking is... The owner should have the option / right to disable that just as some passenger air bags can be.... 

18 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I think the new collision avoidance systems on cars where the brakes are applied will be found to cause more rear ender accidents.  My 21 Tundra has this feature and it has already hit the brakes after the person pulling across my lane had already cleared.   I saw it coming, applied brakes and when the danger was over got off the pedal and ready to get back on the skinny pedal when WHAM.  The truck hit the brakes again.  The poor guy behind me almost hit me and flipped me off big time.  How do let him know it wasn't my fault.  My Daughter in Law has had a few close calls in her newer CRV.  Disable that feature and get involved in an accident and when the lawyers find out the safety feature was disabled and your ! is grass.

When I look at newer vehicle I just don’t see anything that I want.

The amount of electronics on them is mind-boggling and 99.9% of it I would never use and have no interest in having on there because it is something else to go wrong

I daily drive a 1994 Honda Accord.

As far as I’m concerned the 90s were the pinnacle of cars.  They were completely reliable and still easy to maintain and repair.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

When I look at newer vehicle I just don’t see anything that I want.

The amount of electronics on them is mind-boggling and 99.9% of it I would never use and have no interest in having on there because it is something else to go wrong

I daily drive a 1994 Honda Accord.

As far as I’m concerned the 90s were the pinnacle of cars.  They were completely reliable and still easy to maintain and repair.

I agree about cars of that vintage being the most reliable. 

Don't know this guy , pic for attention , many accidents are avoidable and stupid hurts 

image.png

• Like 1

Here is a bad accident story  that happened last weekend to my buddy Marvin , he was hunting deer , climbing the wooden ladder that he built two years ago , up to the stand  , said the screws broke/snapped off of the 5th ring , he was falling and the gun strap around his neck and chest got caught on  the 4th rings and wedged him up , he was hanging for a few seconds trying to get free , one leg thru the ladder rings , then the sling broke , he fell and landed on his leg  , but hit his shoulder on the way down , broken collar bone and big bone of the right leg , so he was able to get to his phone and call the guy he was hunting with , Phil  couldn't get Marvin's 420 into reverse and it was against a tree , so Marvin had to walk about 1/8 mile on the broken leg , then drove himself to the truck 

• Sad 2

It's amaising more hunters don't get injured ......he walked that far with a clean broke right femur ?! Man that had to be very painfull!! 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

rofl..lord..someone give that motorcycle rider a medal..that as at least a 10 !,,lol.

• Like 1