Fishfiles

Accidents

I use to have a thread that was about accidents on 4wheelers or anything for that matter

I have this incident that happened at a party by my house 3 weeks ago after the LSU game , that I wanted to share with you'll , as it is freaky how quick you can get hurt bad from something so out the box  , 4 wheelers were ridden that day in extreme conditions  but the accident never happened on a 4 wheeler , it happened  while attempting to pee on side the shed so as to not track mud into the house , my buddy took a bad step off the 1 inch ledge of concrete and fell onto the grass and hit right on his stomach hard , he was feeling really bad afterwards and looked bad , one of my buddies has some  first responder experience at the plants he works at , he checked him out and said he thought he should be taken to the ER quickly , so at the local hospital after a MRI and a Catscan  they said he ruptured his bladder , they couldn't handle it there on Saturday night at 11:00  and hot shotted him to the Trauma Center in New Orleans , where they did a 1 + 1/2 hour emergency surgery , then 1 + 1/2 days in intensive care and then 8 more days in the hospital , then after 3 days of being home , he got severe pains again and went back to the hospital for 3 more days of test which didn't show any thing wrong , he is doing OK now and got out yesterday , but doubt he will be riding ATVs for a long while 

the doctor  said being his bladder was full, the impact made it pop an cause a 6 inch tear , said if he would have fallen after relieving himself that might not have happen ---

59691843150__E72FE676-E65C-42E8-997E-DF6E74BEC05E.jpeg

• Like 2

Hope everything goes good for him with no problems down the road.

• Like 1

Thanks Mel , I think your right about down the road , it ain't over yet , he still has a long road to total recovery and being he is an old fart like me , it gets harder and longer to heal up 

• Like 1

That's sounds like a freak accident wow you would never think something like that would happen.You jut never know.

• Like 1

Most of the accidents while riding dirtbikes always seemed to happen within the first 15 to 30 minutes. I theorize that your mind had to get right which takes a while . We usually rode hard and fast. 80 percent to 100 percent so it takes an adjustment period to get things prioritized in your brain.One friend had a very bad habit of riding a full 100 percent during the first few minutes. I witnessed him crash hard and get hurt just by not thinking first. On three occasions (twice in 3 minutes) he crashed when the trail had a huge wash out going across it too wide to jump. The wash outs weren't there the time before but here now. Each time we were riding next to a creek where the natural run off from a hard rain cut across the trail. I'm not talking about a small wash out. Two were about four or five feet deep and 6 feet across. One was about four feet deep and fifteen or twenty feet across. I'm not sure if better judgement developed after thirty minutes or the forward thinking kicked in.........I just know if we made it 30 minutes usually nothing bad happened. It was the same for many different groups many different times. Riding the river at high speeds a friends called it "getting your river legs" because the skills were unique to river riding. We could skim the water on dirt bikes if the speed was a minimum of 30 MPH. The longer and the deeper the crossing the faster the speed required. We were doing this back in the late eighties or early nineties before videos of this appeared. We even made a video of spray patterns from the bikes on the water so we could start experimenting with skis below the fork tubes and swing arm and perhaps a plates under the engine. My friend quit his job at the machine shop and the development never got started......neither of us wanted to spend the money buying equipment to fabricate aluminum. Now there are videos of the same thing. We were about 25 years ahead of our time! LOL

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

This guy has to be hurt 

Sorry to hear about your buddy! This right here is natural selection at its finest though. Lets squat at the base of a jump while people are riding on the track. What did you think was gunna happen? Life has no pause button.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misterclean said:

Most of the accidents while riding dirtbikes always seemed to happen within the first 15 to 30 minutes. I theorize that your mind had to get right which takes a while . We usually rode hard and fast. 80 percent to 100 percent so it takes an adjustment period to get things prioritized in your brain.One friend had a very bad habit of riding a full 100 percent during the first few minutes. I witnessed him crash hard and get hurt just by not thinking first. On three occasions (twice in 3 minutes) he crashed when the trail had a huge wash out going across it too wide to jump. The wash outs weren't there the time before but here now. Each time we were riding next to a creek where the natural run off from a hard rain cut across the trail. I'm not talking about a small wash out. Two were about four or five feet deep and 6 feet across. One was about four feet deep and fifteen or twenty feet across. I'm not sure if better judgement developed after thirty minutes or the forward thinking kicked in.........I just know if we made it 30 minutes usually nothing bad happened. It was the same for many different groups many different times. Riding the river at high speeds a friends called it "getting your river legs" because the skills were unique to river riding. We could skim the water on dirt bikes if the speed was a minimum of 30 MPH. The longer and the deeper the crossing the faster the speed required. We were doing this back in the late eighties or early nineties before videos of this appeared. We even made a video of spray patterns from the bikes on the water so we could start experimenting with skis below the fork tubes and swing arm and perhaps a plates under the engine. My friend quit his job at the machine shop and the development never got started......neither of us wanted to spend the money buying equipment to fabricate aluminum. Now there are videos of the same thing. We were about 25 years ahead of our time! LOL

This is a very interesting theory. I think back to my crashes and yes they did happen very early in the day of riding. The exception is any crash on a mx track. Those can happen at anytime with no warning though. Broke my shoulder blade (among other things) 30 minutes into the day of riding a few years back. All other serious injury crashes i have been witness too have been 30 minutes or sooner aswell in the woods.

• Like 3

Had an 18 year old girl here killed last weekend. Was riding in a SXS at night with a boy and he hit something, threw her out and apparently broke her neck. Boy was airlifted. I was out at work with this gimpy back so didn’t get any more details, but reinforced my decision that my girls don’t ride without me.

That is sad news ,  Jeep .... , hear  so any stories of people getting messed up on atvs 

• Like 1

Not much happens in the news in Lacombe , but when it does , it is usually bizarre : 

Their is this old guy that lives on a dead end street that his rear and side property  borders the property I watch over , he watches out for us and gives updates of what's going on on that end ,  he has been there for ever from what I was told , like 40 years  , the street is named after him , stopped and talked with him yesterday to see what's been going on , he is from Honduras and has a heavy accent which is kind of cool to listen too , you would have to hear him tell this story as it was funny coming from him , even though it is not funny : he starts off saying:  

" did you'll see de bullwinkle " , what's a bullwinkle Mr Carlos , " you know , da big deer with de big horns on da cartoons , he lives on the land back dere and comes and drinks out me pond , me got a picture of him " , shows us a pic on his phone and it is huge and not on any of our trail cams ------- 

so  there is a new kid in the neighborhood with a dirt bike , the kid looks about 13 or so , I have seen him running wide open up and down the street several times now  , Carlos said the kid  had gone on his  property a few times now and goes into the woods that my buddy owns and he has tried to run him off but  the kid speeds off on the bike every time  and he could never get to talk with him  , so this time Carlos says in his accent " da kid was on me property back behind me pond , he seen me and was  trying to make it to me gate and get away , me had him blocked off and try  stop him and he don't slow down , so I picked up a pvc pipe that was laying on de ground right dere and held out across the road like this , he hit the pipe and de bike went that way and bike hit me tree , see over dare me tree is all messed up now , and da kid went flying that way and landed over dare , he was ok so I told him to never come on my land again , so de kid went home and got his daddy , and dey  came to me house and walked on me property hollering for me to come outside  , me see da daddy had  shotgun and wanted to talk to me , so I  got my shotgun and walked out and right way shoot one  in the ground to let him know me not afraid to shoot and tells him he on me land , so da daddy walks off and calls da sheriffs and they came out with a bunch of them and gave me paper to go to court  , dey say me do  assault , no know for sure but me might be  big troubles "

what we could understand out of his story was , and don't think he even knows , did he get the assault charge for hitting the kid with the pvc pipe and causing him to wreck or for discharging  the gun or both ----he wasn't taken to jail and they didn't take his gun

Forget about the kid part the story , if the man would have come on my property with a shotgun in his hand and hollering at me , one of us would be dead right now cause I wouldn't wait to see what he might do --- they both handled it wrong , the kid could have been severely hurt or killed , and I think the daddy really handled it wrong , he should have just called the sheriff to start with and not walked on to someone else's land wielding  a shotgun looking for an argument , maybe he could have gone over there without the gun and blew the horn at his gate if he wanted to talk with him  , if anything the dad  should have received charges for trespassing with a weapon ,  can't wait to hear the end of this story 

what you'll think about this one ? 

It sounds like they are going after Carlos over the PVC pipe incident only? Maybe they need to file an assault with a deadly weapon charge on the mad father. Things might neutralize and calm down real quick if that were done.

• Like 1

It sounds like Carlos could use some support from his neighbors right now... he shouldn't have blocked the kid and caused him to wreck. But if everyone backs away and leaves him to go up against the judge all alone, then they'll flip the guy upside down, empty his wallet and a whole lot more. And the problem will still exist, but with one less neighbor (and possibly the entire neighborhood scared off) defending property rights. Regardless of what happened this is a time to come together and run the cops and law off. Else y'all will become victims. Thats my .02 cents.

• Like 5

Kid wasn’t hurt, should have learned a lesson. 

Yeah Carlos was lucky the kid wasn’t hurt, but ultimately he wasn’t.

Dad should have been thankful his kid wasn’t hurt, and should have tanned his rear for riding where he didn’t have permission.

A few weeks ago all the kids in a Science class got in trouble with the teacher. I grounded mine and made her go apologize to the teacher. All the other parents complained that the teacher shouldn’t be so strict. 

In the real world, Carlos could have used a wire, and the kid would be dead. The dad didn’t teach his son properly, so the whole thing is ultimately his fault 

• Like 5

Yep, poor parenting and the kid is not being held responsible. Carlos screwed up too. So the cops are going after the easiest source of money. The judge will probably order Carlos to turn his assets over to his employer. While Carlos might be forced to buy the kid a new bike too, who knows...? The parents and the law have no intention of ever addressing the responsible parties of the trespassing problem. There is no profit incentive in solving that problem. So its become a community problem at this point... and a time for community action.

• Like 2

Talked with a couple of people in law enforcement and a guy who is an instructor for concealed gun carry licenses  , and like anything , there are a lot of , if , ands , and  buts , and it really all depends on what words Carlos  used during the sheriffs'  investigation , if  Carlos said that the dad pointed the gun at him and  he  feared for his life , then he had the right to shot  him as we have a stand your ground law here ------  they say if he had shot the dad ,  he should have refused to talk to the sheriffs and asked for a lawyer , then threw the lawyer say he feared for his life as the gun was pointed at him  , then he would have gone scott free as far as shooting the dad goes , hitting the kid with a pvc pipe is a touchy thing  

19 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Kid wasn’t hurt, should have learned a lesson. 

Yeah Carlos was lucky the kid wasn’t hurt, but ultimately he wasn’t.

Dad should have been thankful his kid wasn’t hurt, and should have tanned his rear for riding where he didn’t have permission.

A few weeks ago all the kids in a Science class got in trouble with the teacher. I grounded mine and made her go apologize to the teacher. All the other parents complained that the teacher shouldn’t be so strict. 

In the real world, Carlos could have used a wire, and the kid would be dead. The dad didn’t teach his son properly, so the whole thing is ultimately his fault 

Jeep, I admire you for having your daughter apologize to the teacher for her part in the problem. If all parents were like you we would have far fewer problems in society. Down here in Houston a police officer was run over and died of the injuries by a 21 year man that has a history of violence and gang activity. His grand mother and her boyfriend helped hide him from the law and lied to the law for about two days. She says it was an accident and he was off his medication.  She also accused the law of slandering her too. She is out on bond right now and says she's not worried about the charges against her. This is mind exploding for me! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

Jeep, I admire you for having your daughter apologize to the teacher for her part in the problem. If all parents were like you we would have far fewer problems in society. Down here in Houston a police officer was run over by a 21 year man that has a history of violence and gang activity. His grand mother and her boyfriend helped hide him from the law and lied to the law for about two days. She says it was an accident and he was off his medication.  She also accused the law of slandering her too. She is out on bond right now and says she's not worried about the charges against her. This is mind exploding for me! 

Well not only is teaching them right and wrong the right thing to do, it will also serve to protect my children!

Had that kid been taught not to ride on other people's property, there would never have been a situation where he was struck and knocked off of his bike.  What if Carlos had been more aggressive and done something that killed that kid, even unintentionally?  Yes, Carlos would face consequences in such a situation, but those consequences would have have brought that child back to life. 

So ultimately, the problem starts with poor parenting.  A child that has not been taught any better isn't responsible for his/her actions, the parent is.  Carlos likely went a little too aggressive in dealing with the problem, but had the parent done his job the whole situation would never have happened.

When you look at the problems we face as a nation, the overwhelming majority of them can be traced back to someone not wanting to be responsible for themselves. 

• Like 2

@Misterclean, I just removed a test photo that I was using last night from your post. I must have posted it while testing the editor changes I was working on and didn't realize I had... sorry about that!

• Like 1

I hear you Jeep , lack of parental disipline , when I was a kid , if I went in someone yard with my bike , my Mom would have taken me over to  Carlos's house , slapped the heck out of me in front of Carlos  and make me rake or mow his yard for a month  for the tracks I left --------- that dad was setting a fine example for his son in life ,  going over to Carlos's  house with a shotgun and bringing his kid , like watch this son  , this is how you handle it , what if it would have turned into something and the dad got shot and killed in front of his son or the son got hit with a buckshot and killed in front of his dad or even blinded for life , or the fact that the son is learning that is how to deal with a problem from his dad , get your gun and go over there  ----- I think the dad should be charged with something , aggravated battery with a weapon, trespassing with a weapon , what ever  and I think the kid should be charged with trespassing and made to pay restitution for his ruts  ------and damage to the tree , LOL on the tree , I was serious to the tree 

To me the dad should have been shot , I figure it as premeditated attempted murder , cause  the dad not only load his gun in the vehicle , but also take his gun onto the man's property to go argue with the man  , he must have planned to use it or intimidate with it , I think Carlos  scared the crap out of him when he shot in the ground , so then what does he do , calls the sheriff ,  he should have done that in the first place 

• Like 3

@carlos problem; if carlos just stuck a pipe out, and the kid ran in to it is one thing. if he swung the pipe, is another. as far as the Dad, he aint much of one. i think the dad could have been shot legally, but got scared off, instead.. Carlos, still needs a good lawyer, and support from friends..

Took the tip with a Skilsaw,  the doctor left the tip on as a biological bandage, I had to keep trimming the dead away, got to the point where the finger tip bone was showing, had to pull it out as it felt like a huge sliver.  Took almost 11 months to heal.

20160927_091554.jpg

20160927_095414.jpg

20160930_105923.jpg

20161113_174337.jpg

20170108_131819.jpg

20170202_123236.jpg

20170322_124058.jpg

20170506_080650.jpg

20170522_092339.jpg

• Like 1

yeah, didn't really hurt till I trimmed it down to the bone sliver, then had to pull the chunk of bone out with a hemostat cause I couldn't stand the pain any more, once the bone was gone the pain was gone. Just no feeling in the tip anymore, hard to navigate the keyboard now LOL

• Like 1