WonderMonkey

List of Socket & Wrench Sizes

2021 Rancher FE1

I'm looking to put together my trail kit, as well as making sure I have in my shop what I need to work on my ATV.  I've used the search feature here but I'm not smart enough to limit things to get what I'm looking for.

- List of socket & wrench sizes to take on the trail.

- List of the same to work on things in my shop.

So far I've heard that 8,10,12,14,17 & 19 mm will get you most anything "typical" on the trail.  Is that true?  Normal depth socket or deepwell?  What is the sparkplug size?

Edited by WonderMonkey

for your trail kit

just depends on how far you plan on traveling i would also consider a spare gas can, and tire pump, a small container of slime tire sealant, over all my years of trail riding wire cutters come in handy, plus a knife just in in case you get tangled with an old fence line, or twine, a lined sparkplug socket, spare sparkplug ... valve stem core tool. really, hard to say what tools you'll need, and how much rack space you have to spare, i myself just carry the oem tool kit, and a spare spark plug, and air pump, knife, and wire cutters, rain suit, matches, and a leatherman multie tool. boafeng radios. tire plug kit, duct tape, zip ties, I'm sure I've missed a few items. 

as for shop tools ? ha! everything under the sun, sockets deep and shallow, open / close end wrenches, hammers, air impact air compressor,  long and short Phillips head, and flat heads screw drivers, plyers, pry bars, oil cat h pan, there is NO perfect answer to what a shop needs... again just depends on what all you plan on doing to the bike ? 

i would talk to fish on shop tools, i think he has just every shop tool a man would need! lol if he doesn't shade sure does. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

for your trail kit

just depends on how far you plan on traveling i would also consider a spare gas can, and tire pump, a small container of slime tire sealant, over all my years of trail riding wire cutters come in handy, plus a knife just in in case you get tangled with an old fence line, or twine, a lined sparkplug socket, spare sparkplug ... valve stem core tool. really, hard to say what tools you'll need, and how much rack space you have to spare, i myself just carry the oem tool kit, and a spare spark plug, and air pump, knife, and wire cutters, rain suit, matches, and a leatherman multie tool. boafeng radios. tire plug kit, duct tape, zip ties, I'm sure I've missed a few items. 

as for shop tools ? ha! everything under the sun, sockets deep and shallow, open / close end wrenches, hammers, air impact air compressor,  long and short Phillips head, and flat heads screw drivers, plyers, pry bars, oil cat h pan, there is NO perfect answer to what a shop needs... again just depends on what all you plan on doing to the bike ? 

i would talk to fish on shop tools, i think he has just every shop tool a man would need! lol if he doesn't shade sure does. 

I plan on going pretty far, for up to a week.  And yes, for shorter trips, less things.  No need to pack an entire spare ATV.

I'm curious on the sizes of the sockets and wrenches as if I don't take the common ones, that's what I'll need the most.

10 , 12 , 24 , 17 are the most common  ---  my spark plug is 18mm ---some tie rod ends are 19mm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

10 , 12 , 24 , 17 are the most common  ---  my spark plug is 18mm ---some tie rod ends are 19mm 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i myself just carry the oem tool kit, and a spare spark plug, and air pump, knife, and wire cutters, rain suit, matches, and a leatherman multie tool. boafeng radios. tire plug kit, duct tape, zip ties, I'm sure I've missed a few items. 

i wasn't suggesting a complete atv, lol just what i carry, but with a 2012, you shouldn't need much. just tool for the tires, unless you switch to mudlites at's  then you shouldn't need much at all. except spare gas, and TP. 

Don't ever leave home without a roll of toilet paper inside a ziplock bag in the trunk! 🙂

A clean rag and a small container of waterless hand cleaner are handy to have in the trunk too, along with your own (long) tow strap in case ya run up on a coupla' Polaris busted down & blocking your trail. A handful of zip ties, a roll of black electrical tape, some spare plastic push pins and a small coil of mechanics wire are in my trunk too, along with a tire plug kit and a low pressure tire pressure gauge.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i wasn't suggesting a complete atv, lol just what i carry, but with a 2012, you shouldn't need much. just tool for the tires, unless you switch to mudlites at's  then you shouldn't need much at all. except spare gas, and TP. 

No no ... *I* was the one with the list that had too much stuff on it.  I meant to indicate that I'll have so much on the list I may as well buy a parts ATV.  It's how I was when I started to backpack .... huge pack.  Over time I narrowed it down and then bought lighter and smaller items.  My pack was filled with "Well I MIGHT need this...." things, which is what a large trail kit is.

6 hours ago, retro said:

Don't ever leave home without a roll of toilet paper inside a ziplock bag in the trunk! 🙂

A clean rag and a small container of waterless hand cleaner are handy to have in the trunk too, along with your own (long) tow strap in case ya run up on a coupla' Polaris busted down & blocking your trail. A handful of zip ties, a roll of black electrical tape, some spare plastic push pins and a small coil of mechanics wire are in my trunk too, along with a tire plug kit and a low pressure tire pressure gauge.

Yes, the roll of TP and wet wipes are there, good suggestion.  The other items are on the list except for mechanics wire, I don't know what that is.

When I get my winch, I'll also get either a kit that has two tree huggers or I'll assemble my own.  The longer tow strap is a good idea, I have an extra one in my Wrangler that I'll use.  Is there a covering I can put on the tow rope so it doesn't have to actually touch the Polaris's?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

No no ... *I* was the one with the list that had too much stuff on it.  I meant to indicate that I'll have so much on the list I may as well buy a parts ATV.  It's how I was when I started to backpack .... huge pack.  Over time I narrowed it down and then bought lighter and smaller items.  My pack was filled with "Well I MIGHT need this...." things, which is what a large trail kit is.

i gotcha, been there done that have the book, lol. its then when you get there (why did i pack this or that) lol! 

I bought a 25’ roll of rubber coated wire at Cabela’s. i also have a 9 inch folding pruning saw to make a travois and two large bandages for severe wounds.

I also carry a 25’ roll of hunter orange 550 cord.

i hunt about two miles off a Rocky trailhead so I’m prepared to cut two saplings, lash them together with the wire. Bind my load to the travois and get to the trailhead. 
im not carrying those bloody coyotes next time LOLs and I don’t want to drag a deer or lion over those rocks 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, spare spark plug ( just in case ! ), 1/2 ratchet ( 3/8's will work ), but the best tool you will ever need ?..your brain !. no..really..tell someone where you are going ?, when you think you may be back ?, and hopefully a cell phone that gets signal ?!..lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WonderMonkey said:

Yes, the roll of TP and wet wipes are there, good suggestion.  The other items are on the list except for mechanics wire, I don't know what that is.

Mechanic wire is tie wire , you know the wire they use to tie rebar together in concrete pours , great for making emergency repairs in the woods ----  as far as a short trip goes , you don't need TP , just hope your socks don't get wet , LOL  

Sounds like you are going to have a load on that week long camping trip ----  We were chatting about a trailer last night , this pic is the wife's 300 and the trailer I built , got about $100 into it 

SjvODjwKSZaPXbrrY7ae3A.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Mechanic wire is tie wire , you know the wire they use to tie rebar together in concrete pours , great for making emergency repairs in the woods ----  as far as a short trip goes , you don't need TP , just hope your socks don't get wet , LOL  

Sounds like you are going to have a load on that week long camping trip ----  We were chatting about a trailer last night , this pic is the wife's 300 and the trailer I built , got about $100 into it 

SjvODjwKSZaPXbrrY7ae3A.jpg

I like that.  The tires are the right size and larger than the ones that are reasonably priced.  I'll have to look into building one of those.  I'd have to do some studying on it as I don't know right out of the gate, but once the materials are identified I could take it from there.

Shoot , a week vacation on my 4 wheeler , I would need 7 cases of beer  and a trailer full of food , unless you were going to live off the land 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Shoot , a week vacation on my 4 wheeler , I would need 7 cases of beer  and a trailer full of food , unless you were going to live off the land 

If I had the room I'd probably take a sixer per day to have in the evening.  As for food, I'd take enough to have two good sized meals a day and try to fish the other meal.  A few power bar type things also.  I can extend those meals to much longer if I know I needed to.

• Like 1

Satellite phone , an EPIRB (  Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon ) , a string of garlic around your neck ( for blood sucker )  99.9 %  silver bullets in your gun ( for the Loupe Garu )  and some Big Foot deterrent spray , lol  --- an maybe some moth balls for that tent for snakes 

• Like 1

i think we have covered everything you'll ever need, at least it looks like it, lol! just forgot the ice chest, and music, is a must have! with what fish just sudjusted (EPIRB)  they could find you, NO PROBLEM,..... lol

As it turns out .... I do keep a Garmin InReach with me on the week long trips.  My wife finds comfort in being able to tell the insurance guy where my body is.  It speeds up the legal process.

"No body, no check!" - WM's Wife

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well; got stranded on a hill. had some rope. going down the hill the gas went forward, an i run out of gas. still had some in the tank. i couldnt shift to neutral, ES, couldn't rock it enough, down hill. so i got my spare rope out, lopped it around a couple of trees, the back of the atv., an wound it like a rubber band, for a balsa plane, you could buy as a kid. after i wound up the rope, i could shift, an costed down the hill. on flat ground, the gas supply was back. most of you dont have to use an ES. only the shifter was on the right in my case.

well, i got a different problem on the 64 ford tractor. different story.

an if i hijack the thread, so what. their is enough moderators here to erase what i say., an give me fair warning. course i tend to stay on the general thread.

Yep, i been drinking Bud. just aint hit the JB yet. maple. :classic_biggrin:

hahaha.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

Well; got stranded on a hill. had some rope. going down the hill the gas went forward, an i run out of gas. still had some in the tank. i couldnt shift to neutral, ES, couldn't rock it enough, down hill. so i got my spare rope out, lopped it around a couple of trees, the back of the atv., an wound it like a rubber band, for a balsa plane, you could buy as a kid. after i wound up the rope, i could shift, an costed down the hill. on flat ground, the gas supply was back. most of you dont have to use an ES. only the shifter was on the right in my case.

well, i got a different problem on the 64 ford tractor. different story.

an if i hijack the thread, so what. their is enough moderators here to erase what i say., an give me fair warning. course i tend to stay on the general thread.

Yep, i been drinking Bud. just aint hit the JB yet. maple. :classic_biggrin:

hahaha.

That was clever thinking!  Your example of the balsa plane let me figure out what you were talking about.  Nice job!