Jamie dunne

Not driving

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

With the speedometer showing you're moving, my guess is your rear ujoint blew.

are all the years the same on the rear end ?..i have not looked it up.

Just now, shadetree said:

are all the years the same on the rear end ?..i have not looked it up.

Yes I can feel like the back wheel are clicking ?? 

3 minutes ago, Jamie dunne said:

Yes I can feel like the back wheel are clicking ?? 

ok, your rear end needs to be torn down, and split the rear differential to inspect the ring gear, pinion gear, drive shaft, and the u-joint at the output from the rear of engine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie dunne said:

No never checked that I may check that 

really need to get your hands on a service manual , this is the most important tool you will ever need to start the process of repairing this atv..if you are wanting to fix it anyway.

Just now, Jamie dunne said:

Where would I get one off them ??? 

we have service manuals for most atvs, but first you need to find out what year this atv is ?. look in the service manual section on our site here after you find out what year model you have ?, then just down load it, its free !.

That noise  could be a lot of things , strip axle spline at the ring gear , stripped drive shaft spline , bad bearings in the differential  , broken ring or pinion gear ---- check the oil might be a clue , if there is no oil  or if oil is full of metal particles 

• Like 2

When you find the Vin post it on here it will tell a lot of info for your model.

And welcome here I see you already have some of the best help we have to offer....

If I'm reading this correctly the machine will not move in any gear or high/low/reverse and just has a grinding sound? The speedometer is reading even though it will not move? The speed sensors are inside the front final drive so they should not be reading anything if the machine is not moving. A dead battery will sometimes let the display read funny things because of voltage changes (the jump start system in place might not be making good enough contact at all times).

First things is make sure the oil level is good and correct (following the proper procedure for checking the oil level). It needs a good battery. A lot of the components rely on steady voltage to work properly.

The transmission mainly works off of oil pressure so if it's low, it's a no go. The transmission is a hydrostatic pump that uses that uses an electric motor to change the swash plate angles (changing speeds). It relies on inputs from speed sensors, throttle position sensor, engine speed (pulse generator) to determine where the swash plate angle should be which is read by the angle sensor. All the electronics are needed for it to function correctly but it should still move if one is not working correctly (it just won't change speed/gearing). With that said, go after the oil first and make sure everything is correct there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

If I'm reading this correctly the machine will not move in any gear or high/low/reverse and just has a grinding sound? The speedometer is reading even though it will not move? The speed sensors are inside the front final drive so they should not be reading anything if the machine is not moving. A dead battery will sometimes let the display read funny things because of voltage changes (the jump start system in place might not be making good enough contact at all times).

First things is make sure the oil level is good and correct (following the proper procedure for checking the oil level). It needs a good battery. A lot of the components rely on steady voltage to work properly.

The transmission mainly works off of oil pressure so if it's low, it's a no go. The transmission is a hydrostatic pump that uses that uses an electric motor to change the swash plate angles (changing speeds). It relies on inputs from speed sensors, throttle position sensor, engine speed (pulse generator) to determine where the swash plate angle should be which is read by the angle sensor. All the electronics are needed for it to function correctly but it should still move if one is not working correctly (it just won't change speed/gearing). With that said, go after the oil first and make sure everything is correct there.

I bet the ujoint is blown.

Output shaft is spinning, front and rear.  It's not moving because the rear ujoint is blown.  Speed sensor is reading the front diff acuator spinning, so it's showing speed on the speedo.

That's my hypothesis, although I'm not positive that the speedometer would register with only one of the speedo sensors reading.

Jamie, if you look at the left side of your motor (left side from the "sitting on the seat" point of view).  On the back of the left side of the motor, there is a rubber boot held in place with two hose clamps.  Take those clamps loose and pull the boot back, and see how the ujoint looks under the boot.

Should look like this

joint.jpg

told me it acted the same in 2wd, and 4wd .... just adding puzzle pieces, has about 2000 miles, maybe more, very low of oil when he got it. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

yep its an 09 for sure, probably took till '10 to get delivered to Ireland LOL

Man,that salt water air is hard on the frame brother....

I have seen the horn in the wiring diagram for the overseas models-now I have officially seen one-

Where the horn button at? Do you have turn signals too? Man now I want a Horn..........

You can download the manual from that appropriate section

see link below

Jeep corrected me -I thought it was a regular Foreman 500 did not see the FA

Hope your automatic trans is OK

Let us know what you find out-

Edited by AKATV

1 minute ago, AKATV said:

yep its an 09 for sure, probably took till '10 to get delivered to Ireland LOL

Man,that salt water air is hard on the frame brother.....

You can download the manual from that appropriate section

Your model is Foreman 500 05-11 Service manual

Here is the link for the manual you need

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QvEKFzoIUuZ809T18CwVIDToUJfelcG-

Good luck and let us know what you find out

Not so fast!  He has a Rubicon.  05-14 500FA.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11L4ZAKwg_jjLgT5CsZYM-Dpcuw00nBCu

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Not so fast!  He has a Rubicon.  05-14 500FA.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11L4ZAKwg_jjLgT5CsZYM-Dpcuw00nBCu

Yep I jumped the gun for sure-thanks did not notice the FA

Luckily I could edit it out and save some confusion-thanks for the quick catch

Hope his tranny is OK -do they have same issues like the earlier autos?

I know you do a lot of 500 work

@jeepwm69 you ware saying about oil pressure test how do I go about doing that and what dose the oil pressure need to be at do you know I was at it today and and was pushing it and the sound seems to be at the back near the diff I’m going at it tomorrow again and going to see where it properly is coming out off 

Hoping you just have bad splines on rear axle or bad u-joint like Jeep mentioned earlier

Oil pressure test should be in the service manual as well