HondaHunt

Carb Drain Hose TRX500FM6

The hose that exits the Carb and lays on the swing arm or thereabouts has a little anti siphon thing on the end of it, does this gadget need serviced. I attached a picture of it from my Foreman. Thank you

86570515-B202-40C8-BFF9-95D93C086BD6.jpeg

When working it will allow gas to flow out but if you go through water it will not let those types of things back in. I wouldn't trust it for water riding and I wouldn't worry about it for anything else.

• Like 1

Thanks. Why can the one way valve not be trusted, does it just get old and quit working or does the inside of it get dry rotted and leaks. If so can it just be replaced. I do not do much water riding but I do cross a decent creek that can get over the foot wells for a few seconds. 

It could fail because its just a cheap plastic one way or reverse flow check valve.  But don't worry about it.  It's probably the least thing to worry about.  For piece of mind though, pull it off blow through from the carb side.  Air should exit.  Blow through from the ground side.  Air should not exit.  If it does, replace it.

• Like 2

The maintainance of the over flow check valve is to make sure the end of the tube doesn't get clogged up with dirt or a mud dubber , if it does clog up and then the carb were to over flow , the overflowing gas will fill the air box and go down into the cylinder , leak past the rings and mix with the engine oil 

• Like 1

it's a one-way check valve, allows over flow fuel to drain out of carb, but stop water and crap from flowing back up into the carb, most have a tiny plastic ball inside them. easiest way to see if its still good is to remove the line off the carb, try blowing air through it, it should only let you blow in the direction of flow down and out, not back up into the carb bowl.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, slowindown said:

It could fail because its just a cheap plastic one way or reverse flow check valve.  But don't worry about it.  It's probably the least thing to worry about.  For piece of mind though, pull it off blow through from the carb side.  Air should exit.  Blow through from the ground side.  Air should not exit.  If it does, replace it.

....and dont put it on backwards-LOL

My buddy put his valve on backwards somehow and the carburetor got some crud that hung up the float valve and fuel could not go out the overflow tube and it backed up and filled crankcase and airbox with gas

He caught it in time, as he noticed the drop in gas tank fuel level

Not good to run gas for oil... LOL

• Like 1

If you are going into water deep enough to reach the carb , you better have a check valve , water will get into the carb without one , some of the mudders run two check valves in series  , back to back 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for responses. My notifications is not working right otherwise would have replied sooner.  Should the end of it be completely clear?  Can I just use a little wire to clean it out. I will take it off if that is what must be done but I would think you could just gently clear it out with a small diameter wire.  I don’t run in deep mud nor do I regularly go in water. Maybe a creek crossing for five seconds that water comes over footwells but that’s it. I am in process of checking everything on the new to me bike and this is something I wanted to ask people that know about. I could actually stick my head up there and blow in the tube to see if it allows me to do so, the end of the tube is not clear at the moment looks like white plastic in the end of it. Thanks again. 

4CFDB64A-9C13-4840-BFF8-B9E806A68340.jpeg

it's a one-way check valve, allows over flow fuel to drain out of carb, but stop water and crap from flowing back up into the carb, most have a tiny plastic ball inside them. easiest way to see if its still good is to remove the line off the carb, try blowing air through it, it should only let you blow in the direction of flow down and out, not back up into the carb bowl

^^^^^ credit goes to shade, as clean as that bike is, unless a mud dobbers has pluged it, (as fish mentioned) you should be fine, heck the frame drain holes look spotless! if anything, you could shorten the line... but i myself wouldn't worry too much about it!, even the pumpkin vent line is still on, most times those are long gone, on a used bike, and air box cup is still on, so this bike has been well taken care of, and not abused. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 3

Something I just realized looking at the pic, the hoses on the top and bottom of the check valve don't look stock OEM spec length , like they were replaced , the lower hose is very short , the upper hose looks long , and it is hanging in harms way they way I ride --  I think I would strap it back behind the swing arm , there is usually a bracket that keeps them against the back of the engine on other models 

that atv is very clean , I was thinking it was a newer atv , but for it to have a carb , I would think it has to be about a 2010 or older >>>>  did you do a refurb , was it done by someone else that you bought it from  ? 

• Like 1

It is a bike I bought from original owner a friend and it sat in a conditioned basement for the last several years. It’s an 06 has 129 hours 850 miles and the majority of those happened in one Colorado hunt back in 2008.  The Honda dealer serviced the bike, cleaned carbs and did an inspection on the bike before my friend sold it to me, the bike really is close to new as you can get for a used bike. It starts easy runs great never been in mud or high water or pulled anything in its entire life. It is very clean underneath all electrical connections look like they were just done at the factory.  I will ask him about the carb drain hose if they replaced it but it looks brand new to me. I thought they just hung down like that. There is literally no dirt or dust in the air box either it is very very clean. 

4D9F187D-059F-4C08-BF50-506C285D4EC2.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I think I would strap it back behind the swing arm , there is usually a bracket that keeps them against the back of the engine on other models 

Look on the swingarm/ frame area here.  There is a little metal clip that bends around the one way and holds it against the frame

vent1.jpg

• Like 1

I will get down there and do that, thank you all. The tires on the bike are original equipment I am in the process of replacing with 8 ply 587 bearclaws but the rear tires could easily go several more seasons. Tires don’t even have dry rot after 14 years I am just ecstatic with this bike to the point now I don’t even want to get it dirty. I am sure I will overcome that and just wash it real good after my ATV Adventure Park Rides. 

21760707-000A-4375-B2D7-E66DCCBEBFBC.jpeg

• Like 2

What fun would it be to have it ,  if you were to not get it dirty ? You looking to become a collector or a rider ? LOL 

• Like 2

Oh I am sure I will get it dirty.  Once you get on it and start riding the fun prevails to a certain extent. I am just happy to get a bike that is like a 6500 new bike and I want to take really good care of it. That way it takes good care of me when I call on it.    LOL

• Like 1

there's one problem it's not a classic loaded with hondaline parts ... lol, i think goober has that one signed, and sealed, his tank is a collectors dream! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree I am definitely not a collector.  I just like my machines to work and work good each and every time I get on board. It’s a great feeling and part of a Honda persons infatuation!!!😳 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HondaHunt said:

I agree I am definitely not a collector.  I just like my machines to work and work good each and every time I get on board. It’s a great feeling and part of a Honda persons infatuation!!!😳 

I know what you mean >>>>  it feels good to me to have rebuilt and built the machine I am riding  customized to my liking 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HondaHunt said:

i think you'll end up being a die hard honda guy like the true ones are, welcome to the sickness... 

• Like 2

Is there something in particular that causes the carb to overflow into this tube? My 04 Rubicon 500 drips fuel slowly out the tube when the fuel is left on...I am about to rebuild my carb and was wondering if I should pay extra attention to anything related to that issue! Thanks😊

• Like 2