HondaHunt

Carb Drain Hose TRX500FM6

sounds like the float valve, or dirt maybe keeping the valve from sealing good to the valve seat,  might also check the drain screw, if it's ever been loosened. 

• Like 5

Yeah not supposed to drip like that.

Yes a loose drain screw could be an easy fix. Leaky float valve could eventually drain your tank, or if it gets worse, could leave you without fuel on the trail. 

Sounds like those 17-20 year old carbs are due for a rebuild.

• Like 4

But it's only been 20 years! 😄

Rebuild, good advice. Will put on my to do list. I've seen mentioned around here that a Shindy brand kit is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, Shindy is the way to go. 

Some of these are an easy fix with a rebuild.  Some of them require some extensive polishing of the brass seat to get the leak to stop.  Sometimes I haven't been able to stop it and have had to get a different carb.

But definitely check your drain screw first, make sure it's snug.

Then pull the carb, thoroughly clean it and put a Shindy kit in it.  Check the condidition of your fuel line and replace if it's old rubber, and clean your tank out thoroughly.

• Like 3

just be sure to keep the petcock off, when till this issue is fixed, could also leed to a hydraulic locked cylinder, or gas thinned motor oil, i had this happen to a lawn mower engine, (thinned motor oil) while i was mowing, the shut off valve stopped the flow, when not in use, but running, the gas flooded the crank case, but i caught the issue, and I installed a new seat, and float valve.

• Like 2

I ordered a Shindy rebuild kit last week, hope to have it this week sometime! Will also pay special attention to the drain screw...thanks! 

@Tim-ANC good to know I’m not the only one 😂

• Like 3

How much did the kit cost and from where? I've got other problems requiring my wrench time. Will try to get my wife to do it. She has a knack for rebuilding carbs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SittyDown said:

Is there something in particular that causes the carb to overflow into this tube? My 04 Rubicon 500 drips fuel slowly out the tube when the fuel is left on...I am about to rebuild my carb and was wondering if I should pay extra attention to anything related to that issue! Thanks😊

If you are having problems with a overflowing carb , make sure the fuel tank and petcock are clean , if you rebuild /clean out the carb and don't check the fuel supply , you might fowl it out right off the bat again , one flake of rust from the tank or some crystalized fuel with cause the flow neddle valve to not seat and over flow ---- don't think no one mentioned , if the float sticks , it can overflow into the cylinder and leak past the rings and dilute the oil , etc ,etc , got to go hold that thought 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

How much did the kit cost and from where? I've got other problems requiring my wrench time. Will try to get my wife to do it. She has a knack for rebuilding carbs. 

I get mine from "biker chicks ltd" on ebay.  Guy's name is Grant Hawk.  He's good to go.  Get my Shindy pistons from him as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

when i service a quad, first thing i do is remove and clean the fuel tank. Plastic tanks are easy. I spray the fuel gauge and petcock bolts with Deep Creep, then i remove them—EASY does it—low torque!!

and then i wash out the tank with warm soapy water and a bottle brush. Dry with hair dryer.
Lookit the bottom on the tank. Rough surface for trapping grit.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, SittyDown said:

Is there something in particular that causes the carb to overflow into this tube? My 04 Rubicon 500 drips fuel slowly out the tube when the fuel is left on...I am about to rebuild my carb and was wondering if I should pay extra attention to anything related to that issue! Thanks😊

Anything to polish the seat the float needle sits to help it seal is worth a try. I've done many things like a Q tip and valve lapping compound on the bad ones to just tooth paste on "clean" ones. It's always good to be in the habit of shutting the fuel off if the machine is going to sit any length of time though. It only takes one drop of moisture to break that seal and allow fuel to slowly flow and possibly cause an issue.

• Like 2

I haven’t had any problem seats, so i just clean them gently with a cotton swab. I use clean Berryman Chemtool on my carbs. No dips or boiling. Most importantly you don’t want to get any scratches on the seat!

my favorite is to use a plastic Blue Bunny ice cream tub. The carb will sit up in the tub without sitting in dirty fluid and I can still get the lid on.

BD64BB5D-9D69-4DDD-A103-92471F0590A9.jpeg

• Like 4

When I restored my 06 foreman last year, I was having persistent problems with the carb leaking some fuel.  I cleaned the carb probably 3 times.  The last time, I wrapped super fine steel wool over the cotton around the ends of q-tips.  I made two or three of these.  I pushed them into the seat and spun them with my fingers a time or two at fairly light pressure.  I havent had it leak since.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Goober cleans carbs with the best of  them !!!! 

Sounds like a good excuse to eat more ice cream!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SittyDown said:

Sounds like a good excuse to eat more ice cream!

Blue Bunny at that !!!  ---   I'm a Blue Bell kind of guy , terrible containers to do carbs in , LOL 

• Haha 1

Anyone ever replace a float valve seat?

i see them for sale. 
Does anyone have a junk carb to try on lol?

32250C3C-6892-4E72-883F-06B6C5B0ADB8.png

• Like 2

That JB welded carb that I posted a pic of a while back and thought was a 350 carb was actually a 250SX carb. Think it would be the same? If so, you want it?

250sx.JPG

• Like 1

QA02A? 
I am trying to pull the float seat out of that aftermarket carb. Has not gone well. I don’t have a bush extractor. How else could i do it? Machinist?

Does that aftermarket carb have the screw next to like shown in this picture?

Did you remove the screw?

If not it may be pressed in and difficult to remove if not impossible.

I have run a tap into difficult ones to get a better grab for removal, 8mm or 5/16 UNC taper tap.

Carb float seat.jpg

• Like 1

On March 8, 2021 at 8:56 PM, toodeep said:

It's always good to be in the habit of shutting the fuel off if the machine is going to sit any length of time though. It only takes one drop of moisture to break that seal and allow fuel to slowly flow and possibly cause an issue.

i agree, another reason to keep the tank topped off, and use stabil, if you store one for along time. a space in the tank will collect  moisture. 

14 hours ago, Goober said:

QA02A? 
I am trying to pull the float seat out of that aftermarket carb. Has not gone well. I don’t have a bush extractor. How else could i do it? Machinist?

Ohhh, I thought you were just seeing if it can be done without screwing up the carb.  I figured you might want to practice on a junker.

• Like 1