HondaHunt

Carb Drain Hose TRX500FM6

A little off the rails. I've never had a problem with old gas getting water in it or gumming up carbs here in South Central AK. Wheelers or small gas. Leave gas in these all winter with no issues. We live close to salt water, with plenty of lakes and rivers but the air is relatively dry even in summer. Not sure why. Our atmospheric pressure is lower than in the lower latitudes. Maybe our gas is different. Lived here since '98.

@AKATV what has your experience been? 

• Like 2

Yup i am practicing on a junk aftermarket carb. No set screw.

I could try threading it and use a slide hammer to pop it out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

A little off the rails. I've never had a problem with old gas getting water in it or gumming up carbs here in South Central AK. Wheelers or small gas. Leave gas in these all winter with no issues. We live close to salt water, with plenty of lakes and rivers but the air is relatively dry even in summer. Not sure why. Our atmospheric pressure is lower than in the lower latitudes. Maybe our gas is different. Lived here since '98.

@AKATV what has your experience been? 

kind of the same here, spring branch and large creek, plus a couple ponds, on my farm here, but the humidity does climb, and the pressure changes drastically, and yep! just like you i keep fuel in mine all year long, two weedeaters, one chainsaw, one wood splitter two 300 atvs , two mowers, one Honda mantis tiller (the good engine) leaf blower, hedge trimmer, among a few, but all of them are filled all the way up to the neck, and the gas is treated with green stabil, not a single issue in over 7 years, well, not fuel related, lol, i believe the ethanol content here has changed, the station where i get mine clames no ethanol, but my friend from a main distributer has told me every station has a certain amount in there gas,  so who knows, i just know carb issues here aren't as bad as they used to be. 

Water comes from condensation. 

condensation comes out of air in the tank.

keep tank full; less air, less condensate.

still a good idea to periodically remove condensate, although different methods for different tank types.

Just wanted to update and give another thumbs up for the Shindy carb kit...it arrived as advertised and the quality is excellent...the kit even had an extra o-ring (tiny one) and a couple bigger ones I assume for different models. Carb went together great, very nice fit and finish on everything in the kit. As to the OP, my drain screw didn’t look the greatest but I got it cleaned up and hope that fixes my drip.

I’m going to take @Fishfiles and @Goober advice and clean my gas tank before I put the carb back on. Probably gonna replace the fuel line too. Will keep y’all posted...

• Like 4

After my engine and carb rebuild I had the overflow hose drip.  I removed the carb and cleaned out the float area with good results.  Then had the drip come back, this time I opened up the overflow screw and let it run for a few seconds.  I ended up putting one of the inline fuel filters like I have on my golf cart and mowers.  Never had a problem since, change the filter when it looks dirty.  I had the tank off initially when rebuilding everything and tried to flush out and dump upside down, but never felt I got everything out.  I didn't want to try to remove the fuel shutoff assembly as I have read horror stories when removing the 2 bolts.  If there is a problem and the nuts inside the tank drop off there is not much you can do to put the shutoff valve back on.  I figure everything working as it is now so don't fix it if it ain't broke I go by......

• Like 5

I ran into something else...my carb heater is supposed to read around 15ohms but is reading almost 1000ohms and shows no continuity. Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper ebay units for just the heater?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Heater-Assy-For-Honda-Foreman-Foreman-Rubicon-Rancher-400-450-500/152580232887?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=152580232887&targetid=1071879789501&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9016475&campaignid=11612587842&mkgroupid=111536114365&rlsatarget=pla-1071879789501&abcId=9300457&merchantid=6506734&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7yCBhDJARIsAMWFScMmgjA0Ykd4IE6dlSeKdHsm1ndknBT2JzSb16vAwxZDU_Dusa0z-EwaAqANEALw_wcB&pageci=3a894062-9a82-4d3a-9027-9c3f60929b0a

Here is a link, what do you guys think? I like to buy Honda parts but it’s $46 from OEM, $18 shipped from eBay...

Where do you live? I don’t need them here. If you’re in the great white north you might, but if not just delete it.

• Like 2

I would ignore a bad carb heater. It doesn't matter whether the heater works or not, the motor simply does not benefit from it or need it.

• Like 2

When I cleaned the carb on the Rubicon a few weeks ago, one of the wires broke off of the carb heater.  I just snipped the other wire off too. 

I might have one on an extra carb around here you can have if you really want one @SittyDown

• Like 2

Wow @jeepwm69 that’s awful generous of you!! But it sounds like I might not need it...I’m in southern Indiana so it sounds like I will probably be ok, you think?

I've never noticed a difference in having one and not having one, even when using the Foreman in sub freezing temps during duck season.  I have 2 Footshift 500's and a Rubicon now from that era, which use the same carb  (different jets in the Rubi since it's a 499CC).  I've had a couple that I've run with no carb heaters (usually the wires come off during removal for carb rebuilds) over the years with no issues.  Also have a 350 Rancher and a 300 that are the kids, that don't have heaters on them.  I've never seen any difference in one with vs one without.

Try it without it.  If your Foreman ever gives you fits and you think  you need one, I'll be around LOL. 

• Like 2

Only thing I can think it is useful for is preventing carb ice. Something those of us above 49 north experience sometimes.

• Haha 1

never had any issue here ether, i have a stock carb, @Wheeler rides in some super cold temps, never heard him mention any problems with his carb icing on his 300, but he's also not using a stock carb.  I'm thinking it might be the fuel or letting the gas tank get low, and water accumulating, then the ice issue happens, i figure that more then the design of the bike, although, I'm not sure which models had  / have carb heaters. i reckon the coldest temps riding I've seen is -10 ? just a guess. but you guy see much colder temps, here's it's the heat we deal with. 

• Like 3

Two things I e never heard of until reading this thread. Carb heater & Carb ice. If u adjust ur A/F for winter, & Summer, good to go. I’ve lived & drove my atv all winter back on the east coast & out west in the dry winters. Never heard or experienced this carb ice u speak of. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Two things I e never heard of until reading this thread. Carb heater & Carb ice. If u adjust ur A/F for winter, & Summer, good to go. I’ve lived & drove my atv all winter back on the east coast & out west in the dry winters. Never heard or experienced this carb ice u speak of. 

Wheeler , I was surprised to read you say you never heard of icing , cause I seen it happen down here in the south , after  I read that article that TIM' posted , maybe it is because you'll  don't have the high  humidity like we do , sometimes we are 100% humidity --

Another icing problem I have is the propane tank regulator  for the crayfish burner and heater on the patio freezing up , grill don't ever do it , I would guess cause it is a lower flow , but when the weather is just right , them regulators will turn solid white and shut down 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@Fishfiles super dry air here out west. Very low low humidity. Back east on the coast where I rode a lot in winter still never had any issues. I like it when I learn something new!

• Like 3

From what I been reading on the situation of icing , it is not so much how extreme cold the temp is , it is the combination of cold with high humidity which makes it occur 

• Like 1

Update on my carb rebuild with the Shindy kit...my carb was really dirty, and the standard rebuild fixed my fuel leak out the drain hose. I just used carb cleaner and regular Qtips. Buuuuut I have bigger problems unfortunately...check out my other thread if interested!

Edited by SittyDown
Added last sentence
  • Like 2

@SittyDown Just got the carb done. My wife found the float bowl gasket AFU. Was the source of my fuel vapor leak.

20210610_165604.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No doubt a Carb that old needed new gaskets, also recommend a choke valve and primer pump.