HondaHunt

ATV Rear Lounger/Seat

I plan to take my wife to ride in scenic Eastern Kentucky and am planning on purchasing a rear lounger.  I don’t do mud or anything over tasking but I want a rear seat that is comfortable sturdy and has adequate storage. I have read about the Black Boar, QuadBoss, Koplin, Wes, and Moose rear loungers. Do any of you have any hands on experience with these type accessories.  Thanks

9CB445F4-CC40-40A8-B595-06EE9E4B63E3.jpeg

We have and enjoyed the Kimpex Black Outback Trunk for several rides but we have found that what is just as important to having a comfortable seat is staying in it while riding. We found stirrups were needed since my wife's feet couldn't rest on the floorboards. There are several means of doing it but just wanted to say once she had means of supporting her feet she enjoyed the the seat so much more

s-l400.png

517zLzrukkL._AC_SY400_.jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

Screenshot_20201228-191431_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Akunin
  • Like 1

Koplin (I think) use to make rear fender protectors with foot rests that could be added. I'm not sure if they still do or not. All of the rear seat/storage I've been around have been pretty comparable. Find one with the dimensions you want and you should be happy with it. Things change too fast and none of the companies really make their own product so I can't recommend a brand since I haven't been around the newer ones.

• Like 2

Thank you I found a WES industries AR38 that’s similar to toodeep one, my wife is petite like 5’3” so the footrest is a must. I like the idea of the ones that hang from rear rack. No messing with the OE on the machine. When I buy I will post back pictures and review it. 

I added the kimpex nomad plus to my 06 foreman.  I got it at rockymountainatv.  It has gone up $14 since I ordered it.  Sometimes you can find them cheaper on ebay but this past summer when I got it most everyone was out of stock.  The difference in it and the kimpex nomad black is that the plus comes with most of the accessories for it, which are available separately: arm cushions, hand protectors, a drop in pouch for the left side trap door and a divider system.  I used all of the accessories except for the divider system.  Here are the links to both: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/kimpex-nomad-rear-trunk-p 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/kimpex-nomad-plus-rear-trunk-p?s=1514755

The seat is extremely comfy.  The kimpex nomads have latches instead of rubber hold downs, which I prefer.  There is a ton of storage with pass through storage from right to left as well.  There's a place for a small gas can to be strapped too.  Have a look at them on youtube to get an idea of the storage.  They are big/tall enough to hold helmets.

I bought the kimpex (or kolpin?) fender protectors with foot rests.  The footrests fold up when not in use. Unfortunately they were out of stock last spring/summer.  They should be restocked now as everywhere I checked had said they would be in in September.  But I found a set of returns on ebay, which were missing the bottom piece and fabricated that part out of some scrap and an extra set of used oem footpegs I bought on ebay.  My homemade pieces are of slightly different design shape than they come with but function in the exact same way - theirs bolt to the foot pegs and are a little more basic, I just made it one piece and shaped to the contour of the footwell.  The fender protector tubes made by kimpex are not welded to the foot piece I made, they just slide over the bung I welded on - so they're easy to remove.

E75F804D-A063-4FEF-8352-489F1FA0278F.jpeg

9E297E12-C283-4547-99A4-99FEAC363078.jpeg

AED02D18-E60E-485B-88B2-255DAA7F92CD.jpeg

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 4

Slowindown that is the coolest innovative footrest setup I have seen. I guess they don’t sell those in a kit?  I like the seat as well.  I was thinking I would like the Wes AR38 over others since it is only 20 inches deep where wife will set which may let the driver seat be completely uncovered for more comfort for the driver. However since I have no experience or have never sat or rode on one with the rear lounger I have no idea which one I would really prefer.  Your post helps a ton. I do like the looks of the Wes however it is not as full of features and storage as yours. I like nice and tidy just big enough to get the job done but when your spending this kind of money I would like to make an educated decision. Thank you!!

• Like 1

Yes. Fender protectors with foot rests are sold as a complete kit.

Everyone was just out of them when I did mine. So I improvised with a set missing parts when I did mine. Sorry I didn’t make that clearer in my post. I will find a link and post it for you in a bit. 

• Like 1

Your bike is really good looking. My 06 bike is like new it really is but it is bone stock no nice wheels or add ons.  I like the looks of yours with the accessories.  Are your tires stock size, what is your combination of tires/wheels.  Thank you again for all your help and advice. 

I'll be the dissenter (imagine that!)

I picked up one of those big plastic Kolpin rear seats.  Thought the wife would love it.  She HATED it. 

When she sat in it, she couldn't put her arms down comfortably.  Riding in rough terrain it slammed her side to side into the sides of the seat, doesn't allow you to move with the machine.  If riding tight trails, the seat sticks up fairly high, putting her face right in the limbs.

I was excited for all of that storage they offer, but it did make the wheeler huge and cumbersome.  Took it off, sold it, and bought a soft seat/bag, which is now what I have on most all of my rig

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-ATV-Rear-Padded-Bottom-Bag/16777866?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=144&&adid=22222222227025374463&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=59232570528&wl4=pla-84275399808&wl5=9026054&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=16777866&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiAxKv_BRBdEiwAyd40NwW87nadi5K9B_DlnRTJR_6zFOXsZ_LQo48A7-j0ek1ChmR0aMOjMhoCks0QAvD_BwE

If one were riding smooth packed roads/trails the big loungers might be ok, but for the off-road/rough trails/logging roads we ride on, it just beat the crap out the wife, and she wasn't having it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeep I have the exact same bag in camo in my 300. It’s great for the woods and has plenty of storage and beer holders. 3D295DE3-410B-479B-BEF4-EE63AC88B285.jpeg

• Like 2

I have 50 cal ammo cans in the side and back pockets of mine, and a boat seat cushion between the ammo can and the backrest for padding, so when we stop I can lean back and lounge and it's comfy.

Ended up just getting the wife her own ATV LOL.  She has a soft bag on the back of hers too.

• Like 1

The only reason I want the hard sided thick seat is I think it will be more comfortable for my wife but as I said I have never experienced one of them.  Just tying to make this spring ATV Park rides better for her touché. Ha ha. 

This one says it comes with foot pegs but "Does not come with L/R lower attachments" My guess is that means it doesn't come with the part I made although they are in the picture.

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/quadboss-atv-fender-protectors-for-honda-rubicon-trx-500-180106

Out of stock:

https://www.motosport.com/quadboss-fender-protectors?variant[QBS0011]=QBS0011-X001-Y004

Out of stock without foot pegs:

https://www.kimpex.com/en-us/products/atv/body-protection/fender-protectors/kimpex-fender-protector-fits-honda-473024?sku=473024&categoryid=2e089b7e-3c21-4836-abfe-0393858f8e52&makeid=a584351d-30c4-49b3-b8cb-0236f1003128&yearid=fe50ef94-5045-418e-bd0e-b2f4a0729e2f&modelid=79bfb4d6-5a80-4f93-a783-bdfd0dbba3db

Just the foot pegs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kimpex-ATV-FENDER-PROTECTOR-Foot-Pegs-Honda-Kawasaki-Polaris-Can-Am-Yamaha-PAIR/373155618393?epid=1159000702&hash=item56e1cede59:g:FCAAAOSwnmNfPptY

https://www.kimpex.com/en-us/products/atv/body-protection/foot-pegs/kimpex-footrest-for-fender-guard?sku=073899&categoryid=2e089b7e-3c21-4836-abfe-0393858f8e52&makeid=a584351d-30c4-49b3-b8cb-0236f1003128&yearid=fe50ef94-5045-418e-bd0e-b2f4a0729e2f&modelid=79bfb4d6-5a80-4f93-a783-bdfd0dbba3db

These say they fit but $$$:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tucker-Rocky-Honda-Foreman-universal-fender-protectors-with-foot-pegs-HSM-N/202589279294?hash=item2f2b43143e:g:aKkAAOSw-rxcWicJ

Now that I look at these, they may actually be what I have with a different way to attach them to the footwell (and I just made more of a kimpex style attachment).  Mine was a return and I thought it just didn't come with all of the parts but it looks like those just bolt to the plastic instead of the factory foot peg:

https://www.denniskirk.com/quadboss/gloss-black-fender-protectors-56-3262.p397600.prd/397600.sku

1 hour ago, HondaHunt said:

Your bike is really good looking. My 06 bike is like new it really is but it is bone stock no nice wheels or add ons.  I like the looks of yours with the accessories.  Are your tires stock size, what is your combination of tires/wheels.  Thank you again for all your help and advice. 

Thanks.  It is my Covid machine.  Ha. 

We were shut down for a bit and I redid my 02 rancher which I'd had since around '04 and put about 4k miles on.  When I finished it,  I was bored again so one of my friends said he still had his 06 foreman which I'd actually gone shopping for with him when new.  But it had been setting up for many years in a 2 sided hay barn.  It only had 500 miles on it but looked like crap when I got it.  Cleaned the tank, carb, changed the oil and added a new battery and it fired right up.  I cleaned it up, painted some of the frame and replaced a few things, most noticeablly the sun drenched plastics which had turned to a pink pepto bismol color with new red ones.

I added a harbor freight 3500# winch with a kfi mount and fabricated a shackle mount in case I wanted to use a snatch block without bending any thing.  The shackle mount is in this thread:

The tires are 26" instead of factory 25 but they're very close in size to the oem ones.  The fronts are Sedona Mud Rebel R/T 8-Ply Radial 26x9-12 on 4/110 ITP SS212 Alloy Series Machined Wheel 12x7 5.0 + 2.0 offset.  The rears are same tire in 26x11-12 on same rim but with 2.0 + 5.0 offset.  I used to tire package builder on rockymountainatv for them.  I like the tires - BIG lugs but the tires are NOT too big for the machine - about the right size I think - they don't slide around when crossing creeks and such like the factory ones do either.

The only other accessory I can think of other than the rear seat is a pretty decent cupholder I found on ebay.

I sold the rancher and the foreman now has 7-800 miles.

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

Wow thanks for all the Info and links. This site is awesome.  I will leave you with a picture of 3 generations of hunt with my family started when I was 9 now 53. I am in the back. 

6C47E8A0-2CE5-4B2E-BE69-D2883088BC20.jpeg

• Like 2

If possible, see if anyone you know has a big lounger you could do a test run with.

I was lucky that the one I had popped up locally for sale, and was cheap.  I jumped on it, and when the wife hated it, I actually made a little on it reselling it. 

I'd hate to drop new price cash on one and have your wife not like it.

• Like 1

Cosigning on the fabric ones.

If you don't go full out like slowindown and make rigid foot pegs it gets really tiring for some.

Compare it to standing on a rope for a long period of time on the sling style... pressure points.

Going for DIY? My favorite are the folding kind cut from an old street bike.

Also the rack (if not properly attached) will sometimes wear through a thin plastic box. 

IME the boxes always need some sort of rubber mat underneath. A plain and basic rubber entry mat cut to size with drain holes is a good and cheap solution.

• Like 1

the real question i want to ask is...did any one of ya'll notice that sticker that reads '' no riders but operators '' ??..lol. hey..i'm all for making the side kick happy, take along , but ya'll need to stop and think what will happen when you go up a steep hill ?, yep..you guessed it..it flips over backwards !. add that to extra weight on the back..well..i hope ya got good health insurance ??!!..lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HondaHunt said:

Wow thanks for all the Info and links. This site is awesome.  I will leave you with a picture of 3 generations of hunt with my family started when I was 9 now 53. I am in the back. 

6C47E8A0-2CE5-4B2E-BE69-D2883088BC20.jpeg

outstanding on the deer in the back !!.

Don’t go up steep hills!!!  I fully understand I will not ride my machines in a dangerous fashion period.  Slow and easy just enjoy the scenery not the adrenaline of what the machine can accomplish. The difference between being 53 and 33, take no unnecessary risk, never.  

8 minutes ago, HondaHunt said:

Don’t go up steep hills!!!  I fully understand I will not ride my machines in a dangerous fashion period.  Slow and easy just enjoy the scenery not the adrenaline of what the machine can accomplish. The difference between being 53 and 33, take no unnecessary risk, never.  

lol..56 here..my rush days are way over..lol

• Like 1