Airbusboy

2003 Rancher ES valve issue

28 minutes ago, Airbusboy said:

Update.....

I think I pulled it off.

black goo stuck to it. It was almost the consistency of super-fine/600 grit valve grinding compound. 

That is a good description black goo grinding compound ----  give it time , the dreaded  black goo  usually takes between 50-100 hours to do it's thing

thanks for the update, your better off with that 03 then a new bike,  and good choice going with a magnetic plug (thumbs up) 

UPDATE.... I wasn't happy with the smoke coming from the exhaust. Overly worn valve guides I assume from the lack of oil during my screw-up.  My solution was to buy the Rancher Big Bore Kit that included the head assembly off the Ebay dealer at about $240.  The kit arrived and quality looked good. I did the swap and she fired up nicely. The kit took it from 329cc to 355cc. I've already noticed an increase in power during the break in period and no smoke!  I've changed the oil and filter 3 times already and find very little (and decreasing) substance stuck to the tip of the magnetic oil plug and zero visible particles in the filter pleats.  Oddly, she is running better than ever. I plan on changing the oil and filter one more time before hunting season starts and after that....roll the dice, but so far, she looks good!  Thanks for all the help, folks!

Edited by Airbusboy
  • Like 1

Good deal.  Let us know how that 355 top end holds up.  I looked at that when I rebuilt the kid's 350 but decided to leave it stock.