HondaHunt

TRX500FM6 Winch

Ok so I have read all the post regarding wench recommendations.  Do you have to purchase a mounting plate for all wench installs or can you use the little baseplate in this picture.  I just want to have a wench for use if I need it, something small around 2500lb with synthetic so any recommendations are appreciated. 

95213C43-8A7F-4343-AC4A-D26827D0CB3E.jpeg

Buy the correct mounting plate and make your life easier. You can use that plate as a start to build something but by the time your done, that plate is cheap. Motoalliance has some deals going on now and you can get a complete kit from them (winch and mount). I've always used the Max series from them and have had great luck. The classic series I wouldn't recommend just because they are made cheaper and I haven't been around the midnight series yet. I haven't put out the coin for the Elite but that is next for me

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HondaHunt said:

with synthetic so any recommendations are appreciated. 

My recommendation  = " Dump  synthetic "----  LOL 

---  Steel/Synthetic is a topic that is like tires , oil and beer , to each there own ------ to me , other than being easy on your hands , the only other good thing about it is , it is easy to tie a knot in it when it breaks or you have to cut it ,  to  get it from being  all pinched up in the drum 

• Like 1

I prefer synthetic and like Fish said, it's a personal choice. For me it lasts longer than steel when using it on the plow (plus the other benefits he mentioned). If someone is stuck in a spot I don't want to go its easier to throw the line out to them also.

• Like 2

One last thing do u need extended wiring plan to mount the little solenoid or whatever it is under the seat if it will work on my model. 

18 minutes ago, HondaHunt said:

One last thing do u need extended wiring plan to mount the little solenoid or whatever it is under the seat if it will work on my model. 

OK, first of all, I'll second what Toodeep said about the Viper winches.  I have a 4K Viper Max and a 5K Viper Max, and both are going strong with no issues after 10+ years.  A Viper Classic I bought had issues pretty quickly, so stick with the Max.

The Viper winches rated up to 3K lbs have 8 gauge wiring.  The 3500-up have 5 gauge wiring, which is much heavier. 

You shouldn't need the extended wiring kit.  I mount my contactor in the tool box, drill two holes in the fender so you can route the +/- cables to the battery through one, and the yellow/blue cables to the winch through the other.  The wires that come with the winches are plenty long to do that.

The Viper Midnight appears to be what replaced the Viper Classic, given the price point.  Were it me, I'd step up to the Viper Max.

One last thing to mention.  I did NOT like the motoalliance plate for the 05-06 Foreman.  Their 07-11 plate is great.  The difference is the front bumper Honda used.  If you look at your pic you posted above, you'll notice the round tube mounting points leading to the frame.  On the 07-11 Foreman, those supports on the bumper are an I beam shape, so the 07-11 mounting plate is a bit different, but is much better IMO.  I have successfully used an 07-11 plate on my 06 Foreman, I just had to do a little tweaking on the rear mounting points on the plate to get everything lined up. 

https://www.motoalliance.com/viper-atv-winch-mount-plate-honda-foreman

All in all, motoalliance is a great company.  I've bought several winches, plates, and wiring kits from them over the years.  Good stuff, except for that one Viper Classic I had. Great customer service too. I was able to fix that Classic using an other old parts winch, but wasn't impressed with the build quality on the Classic. 

• Like 2

And on the cable, it's personal preference.  I like steel.  The synthetic is easier to handle, but I don't think it lasts as long, and it costs a lot more.

I put synthetic on the wife's rig and my girly girl daughter's rig.  The tougher daughter got steel, and all of mine have steel on them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1