Jemmons467

2000 Foreman 450 es no shift

I do not have a 30 amp in my fuse block

20210125_163921.jpg

The only 30 amp I have is in the second picture with the two fuses and that goes with the solid red wires I asked about eariler 

20210125_164013.jpg

• Like 1

20210125_165039.jpg

Ok so I think i figured it out. I was looking at the wiring diagram. This orange wire with the 30 amp is replacing the stock fuse location. Now if you look at the picture and the diagram at the same time the orange with fuse to the red wire into the starter should not go there, it should go into the terminal that goes directly to the battery.

Now the red wire with the blue crimp comes off the dual 30 amp, pictured in my previous post, should go to the starting solenoid, if I am not mistaken. 

It is hard to explain it but I believe the po switched the wires, either purposely or accidentally.

Yup there is a fuse box with two 30 amp fuses, one is for the shift motor (red/white wire) the other is the main fuse (solid red wire). I have a 2000 450 ES harness here but I didn't bother to dig it out to look at it before I told ya wrong. Sorry about the wild goose chase I sent ya on with the main fuse box.

Anyway both of those wires originate at the positive battery cable. You can reconnect them at either end of the positive, so if they originate at the battery post on the solenoid, that will work fine. Its your choice...

13 minutes ago, retro said:

Yup there is a fuse box with two 30 amp fuses, one is for the shift motor (red/white wire) the other is the main fuse (solid red wire). I have a 2000 450 ES harness here but I didn't bother to dig it out to look at it before I told ya wrong. Sorry about the wild goose chase I sent ya on with the main fuse box.

Anyway both of those wires originate at the positive battery cable. You can reconnect them at either end of the positive, so if they originate at the battery post on the solenoid, that will work fine. Its your choice...

So the duel 30 amp fuse I have has all red wires. I guess I could just rewire the orange inline fuse better. Other than that it appears the wires are where they should be.

That should work too. The previous owner must have had a problem with the original fuse sockets overheating and spliced in that inline fuse to fix it?

8 minutes ago, retro said:

That should work too. The previous owner must have had a problem with the original fuse sockets overheating and spliced in that inline fuse to fix it?

It'll have to wait until this weekend when I have time. It is weird though when I pulled the fuse it started shifting again

• Like 1

You got me to go look at my 450s , I don't have that 2nd fuse holder with the 2 - 30 amps fuse on neither of my 450s , my 2000 450S ( FM ) foot sift doesn't have it ---     so I looked at the wiring diagrams of ES and S(FM)  , and that 2 fuse box seems  only on the ES models , so it would seem it has something to do with ES , but it doesn't even show up on my wiring diagram for a ES --- also I see that 30 amp fuse that is by itself in the wiring diagram , so it is factory and goes to the starter solenoid and the rectifier , there is also a tap before the fuse that send power to the lights 

• Like 2

image.png

You can see the two 30amp fuse  box and the one 30amp fuse  holder in this pic ( in the V of the harness to the left and up of the #19 by itself ) ,  the 3 #19s they are 30 amp fuses 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

fullsizeoutput_e2f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e2d.jpeg

Ok so we seem to be on the same page with everything. I like your paper copy of the manual with the color coded wiring, I have the black and white on my phone. I think I will just buy a whole new inline fuse, heat shrink and really seal it up. Thank you for your help.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a picture of the fusebox and all of the wiring? I just want to see what it looks like altogether, say when you pull the seat off and the battery holder off. 

So I peeled back the white covering and some black gooey crap. I dont think I've seen a connection like this before.

20210126_165845.jpg

20210126_165600.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jemmons467 said:

Does anyone have a picture of the fusebox and all of the wiring? I just want to see what it looks like altogether, say when you pull the seat off and the battery holder off. 

derf has a 99, Bcs has a 98, and Ted has a 00 ... you might  check with them, i couldn't locate a pic. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

derf has a 99, Bcs has a 98, and Ted has a 00 ... you might  check with them, i couldn't locate a pic. 

Yah I am just trying to see what a normal box/wire location looks like since several wires have been cut and spliced. Thank you

• Like 1

A pic from me wouldn't do you any good , mine is a S and it has been modified -----

I have seen Honda use  connections like the one on your wire , I'd say thats OEM  

• Like 1

no problem glad to help, ... now i don't know if there would be any defrence from a 89, 99, I'm not an es guy, i was thinking like fish... looks like it was sealed up good, could be oem .. i need to check that colored scematic again. 

Here is the only battery box pic I see in the service manual I have , and I think your fuse box is made different from this one --- I think the pic I posted is a 2nd gen fuse box and you have a 1st gen 

fullsizeoutput_e32.jpeg

Ok went out in the cold to get a photo of my 98 450ES fuse box.  Hope it helps...

Fuse box.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no problem glad to help, ... now i don't know if there would be any defrence from a 89, 99, I'm not an es guy, i was thinking like fish... looks like it was sealed up good, could be oem .. i need to check that colored scematic again. 

I looked at a color one and its supposed to be the red/white from the relay into the fuse and red from the fuse to the positive battery terminal.

Mine goes red/white from the relay into the orange inline fuse to red wire to the starter solenoid.

And yes those are the ones I peeled back

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Ok went out in the cold to get a photo of my 98 450ES fuse box.  Hope it helps...

Fuse box.jpg

Thank you, so it looks like the orange wire with the fuse is OE. It doesn't show it in the service manual, it shows red wire.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jemmons467 said:

Thank you, so it looks like the orange wire with the fuse is OE. It doesn't show it in the service manual, it shows red wire.

I don't think my 450 has had any electrical mods to it. 

So it appears that the orange wire and fuse is original, but I have a few questions, the manual shows it as a red wire and going into the positive battery terminal but that is not the case with mine, also why would it start shifting again after I pull the fuse and put it back in?

29 minutes ago, Jemmons467 said:

So it appears that the orange wire and fuse is original, but I have a few questions, the manual shows it as a red wire and going into the positive battery terminal but that is not the case with mine, also why would it start shifting again after I pull the fuse and put it back in?

We had a 99 450ES look at his fuse area and looked just like mine including orange wire and inline fuse.  I plan on going out tomorrow to trace the orange wire and where the online fuse wires go.  I will lyk after that....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a wiring harness for a 2000 450 ES, I will dig it out and take a pic of it in the morning.

• Like 1