Jemmons467

2000 Foreman 450 es no shift

Myself , I think I would quit all work and panning out money on this project till I got that bill of sale and vin number sorted out , I ran the vin on the bill of sale thru a National Data base and nothing came up  , that included sales , salvage , insurance , theft , etc , etc , only bit of information came up from that was , that vin number was a Honda TRX450S ATV  that was built in the USA 

I know the way it works down here , if it is deemed stolen , you as the buyer  have no recourse then to give it up and lose all your money and take it up with the seller ---- I hope it is just a mistake of some kind , are you still able to contact the seller if needed ?

• Like 1

Hi: Buy a new 30 amp inline fuse holder to replace the one that you are removing the 30 fuse from and it starts again. If you can't find a 30 amp fuse holder buy a 25 amp one but still use a 30 amp fuse.

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 4

On 1/27/2021 at 11:07 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

Canada model is what i was thinking too.... we ran into kind of the same with @freebo86 04 450es ... on the brake light harness.

Someone say my name? 🙂

The brake light harness was in fact what mine had, I tested it and the light comes on with Foot or Hand Brake. Looks and works great. The bike itself? Not so much, still have issues.

• Like 1

Here's my guess.

The fuse was good but wasn't making a good connection.  When you unplugged it and plugged it back in, it started making a connection again.

And you might have had a frame swapped in at some point.  I've done several frame swaps to date with another on deck (the 06 I bought with a bubba'd frame is going to get a new used frame that I got from @1080PowersportsPartsLLC). 

My 09 I bought new, sister and her idiot friend hit a tree doing about 35MPH and bent the frame.  Had 600 miles on it at the time.  I bought a used frame from someone parting a machine over on the old Foreman board and swapped everything over.

My 06 the swingarm threads stripped out and wouldn't hold the bolts, so I picked up a used frame and swapped everything from the old frame to the "new" one.

I figure if I get in a bind I can cut the rear half off of the 09 frame (only the front is bent) and have it welded to the front of the 06 frame (front is fine, only issue is the swingarm threads)

Point being if you have an S frame with an ES machine, chances are either the original frame was rusted out/bent/messed up and everything was swapped, or the original ES machine was stolen and they swapped everything to a "clean" frame.

I can usually get a feeling from a shady seller if something isn't right, but then again it could have changed hands 10 times since it was new.  Really not any way for you to know if you don't know the prior owners where you can get the history.

Swapping everything over is a PITA unless you're doing a full clean up/rebuild anyway. 

• Like 3

@Melatv and @jeepwm69 sound like they are onto  something , the fuse holder not making good connection

As far as the vin number goes  , there might be a problem with the vin coder , a typo might not be showing the E , just showing the S ---- 

• Like 1

So I looked at the registration and on the registration it goes E2240Y where as the bill of sale says E2204Y. The 40Y shows an ES machine for me, so it might just be a typo on the BOS. Again I will pull the winch to double check. I also plan on buying a new inline fuse this weekend then wrapping it all back up. 

Also here is a picture I snapped of the engine last night.

20210127_201901.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 6:49 PM, Fishfiles said:

fullsizeoutput_e2f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e2d.jpeg

i've seen something like that diagram before. like that its in color.. 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:17 PM, retro said:

Sorry it took me all day to get here... I dug out a 2000 450 ES harness and my harness matches Fishfiles' harness. I only have one 30a Main fuse inside the small weatherproof box with two red wires to that main fuse. I have the inline 30a shift motor fuse as well. One orange wire from the inline fuse has continuity with the harness positive on the solenoid, same as yours.

00-450es-harness.png

Thank you for pulling out the harness. It seems everyone has just one fuse in the box with the red wires, I wonder why I have 2? I'll get it running and just pull one fuse at a time and see what quits working haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jemmons467 said:

Thank you for pulling out the harness. It seems everyone has just one fuse in the box with the red wires, I wonder why I have 2? I'll get it running and just pull one fuse at a time and see what quits working haha

If you only have 2 red wires from it the other 30amp fuse is a spare

• Like 4

I put in a new waterproof 30 amp inline fuse, redid some other connections and used heat shrink tube all all of them. So far so good with shifting. As always I will keep everyone updated

• Like 5

could it be that simple ? you gave us the clue .. when you said you pulled the fuse out stuck it back in, and it started shifting again. thanks for the update..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

could it be that simple ? you gave us the clue .. when you said you pulled the fuse out stuck it back in, and it started shifting again. thanks for the update..

So the inline fuse did have a small cut in it near the fuse itself so that could have also been a factor. 

Congrats, thanks for letting us know how you fixed it!

• Like 1

Congrats, hopefully the problem has been fixed now with the things you have accomplished.

Jemmons there was some confusion as to the shift motor that's installed.  Is the OEM motor in there or the cheaper motor that you had mentioned?  It will help troubleshooting should you have another problem with shifting....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Congrats, hopefully the problem has been fixed now with the things you have accomplished.

Jemmons there was some confusion as to the shift motor that's installed.  Is the OEM motor in there or the cheaper motor that you had mentioned?  It will help troubleshooting should you have another problem with shifting....

I put a cheaper motor in it. 

Just now, Jemmons467 said:

I put a cheaper motor in it. 

I was pretty sure you had not put the OEM back in.  More than likely the OEM is still good, hopefully you didnt throw it away....

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

I was pretty sure you had not put the OEM back in.  More than likely the OEM is still good, hopefully you didnt throw it away....

I do still have it, I am just missing a spring for it.

hm...... this got me to thinking ... (dangerous i know ) so could it be ... running that china shift  motor caused the inline fuse issue to start with ? 

8 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

hm...... this got me to thinking ... (dangerous i know ) so could it be ... running that china shift  motor caused the inline fuse issue to start with ? 

It could but I never thought to try pulling the fuse before I replaced the motor. Before I replaced the fuse it drove great for several days and then I didn't ride it for 2 and it wouldn't shift when I tried. Thats when I happened to pull the fuse and it worked again. If it does it again I think I will swap the old motor back in and see how that holds up. 

• Like 1

If he had problems with it shifting before he put the Chinese shift motor in, then the shift motor didn’t cause the problem. 

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

could be, but i think it came with an aftermarket china shift motor..but  what was the shift motor that was in the bike when he purchased ? it, so  could it have been a china , or oem ... the next motor he says came from amazon, so hard to tell, if the original was an oem, or not. 

Update. Bike is running and shifting great. I have plowed with it a few times and have been out in the fields in the snow. When it has been really cold out it will shift a little slow but shifts fine when warmed up. Again thanks for every ones help.

• Like 3