Jemmons467

2000 Foreman 450 es no shift

Hello I'm having similar issues. I bought a used 2001 trx450es and my shift motor(along with many other issues) isn't working. Replaced angle sensor, shift buttons, shift motor, new ecm, new cdi, checked all the fuses and still no working shift motor. Went through the whole service manual check and all checked out fine. Can someone please help?

@LeisureSuit if you have any accesories like a winch, make sure they are wired correctly as well. I found that after I replaced my winch and wired it correctly it helped out with the shifting issues. There is a really good write up within this forum on how to properly clean and waterproof your connections on the foremans. Follow that as well. I have not been on here in quite some time so I can not recall who wrote it but hopefully someone will read this and point you in the right direction. I hope you get the issue resolved.

Hi Leisure Suit , Retro did the write up on ES shift prep that Jemmons is referring to ---- a good , well charged  battery is very important with a ES    

• Like 2

I appreciate it. I have no accessories right now. Will go though and check my connections again. I did read the forum and seemed like there was a bunch of smart guys on here hopefully they are still around. I appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi Leisure Suit , Retro did the write up on ES shift prep that Jemmons is referring to ---- a good , well charged  battery is very important with a ES    

That looks like an awesome write up will definitely read it. I have a new battery installed also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeisureSuit said:

That looks like an awesome write up will definitely read it. I have a new battery installed also.

Did you use ebay/amazon parts on that list of stuff you've replaced?

These Hondas don't like chinese parts.  Used OEM is better than new amazon/ebay chyna junk

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Did you use ebay/amazon parts on that list of stuff you've replaced?

These Hondas don't like chinese parts.  Used OEM is better than new amazon/ebay chyna junk

Yes on the motor and angle sensor (in the process of going OEM on those. Will my push buttons need to be OEM also since alls it is is a dry contact?

5 minutes ago, LeisureSuit said:

Yes on the motor and angle sensor (in the process of going OEM on those. Will my push buttons need to be OEM also since alls it is is a dry contact?

Do they even make aftermarket shift button assemblies?

Used parts are available cheap on ebay.  I'd buy used OEM and use them before I'd put anything aftermarket on these machines, at least when it comes to electrical doo dads.

• Like 2

That I can't answer.  I'm not an ES guy.

That said, the factory service manual has troubleshooting on the ES system in section 21, and the voltage readings are likely in that section.

If you haven't already done so, look at the "service manuals" in the toolbar at the top of the page, and download the factory service manual.  Look at section 21.

• Like 1

Ok so here I am with an update (I'm not a es guy either but here I am with a cheap one) got all OEM parts and still nothing. I went through another troubleshooting round with all OEM parts. And everything checks out. Out of grins and giggles I unplugged the 5 pin connector on the ECU and ran direct wires from the ground to the green and from the red/white (from the relay) to the to the power on the ECU and as soon as I touched the red/white from the relay to the ECU it went from 12.41v to nothing. I am wondering if this is common or not? After that I'm lost it is a brand new ECU, could it be bad?

2000 TRX450ES....... Angle sensor question.....

Hi All, I'm new to the forum.  I've had the above stated quad for 7 years and never changed this sensor and I'm unsure if it has ever been changed by previous owners.  I've looked over the history of angle sensor issues and replacement on this forum.  I'm thinking i have the same issue.

My question - the angle sensor for the 2000 model (P/N 38800-HP0-A11) is different than the 2002 (unsure what year the change took place).

Can i use a newer (2002) hall-effect, angle sensor (P/N 38800-HR3-A21) on my 2000 quad?  Price, old style - $140 cdn, new style $35 cdn. Honda OEM

I found a service bulletin (SL #74, March 2014) on the improved sensor, but it looks like it's written for models 2002 and newer.

Are the new style, hall effect sensors backwards compatible?... and how far back (in years) are they compatible?

When i do replace the sensor (either), is there something else mechanically / electrically i need to consider doing as well to make it work?

If not, ..... Is there a retrofit i can do to the 2000 bike to be able to use the 2002 sensor?

Username: Retro.....i will definitely do your ES system PM (Preventative Maintenance) procedure on my unit.  Great write-up, thank you!

Thanks,

8 hours ago, outdoorguy34 said:

Hi All, I'm new to the forum.  I've had the above stated quad for 7 years and never changed this sensor and I'm unsure if it has ever been changed by previous owners.  I've looked over the history of angle sensor issues and replacement on this forum.  I'm thinking i have the same issue.

My question - the angle sensor for the 2000 model (P/N 38800-HP0-A11) is different than the 2002 (unsure what year the change took place).

Can i use a newer (2002) hall-effect, angle sensor (P/N 38800-HR3-A21) on my 2000 quad?  Price, old style - $140 cdn, new style $35 cdn. Honda OEM

I found a service bulletin (SL #74, March 2014) on the improved sensor, but it looks like it's written for models 2002 and newer.

Are the new style, hall effect sensors backwards compatible?... and how far back (in years) are they compatible?

When i do replace the sensor (either), is there something else mechanically / electrically i need to consider doing as well to make it work?

If not, ..... Is there a retrofit i can do to the 2000 bike to be able to use the 2002 sensor?

Username: Retro.....i will definitely do your ES system PM (Preventative Maintenance) procedure on my unit.  Great write-up, thank you!

Thanks,

Welcome aboard. 

That is a good question, as a lot of Honda parts have different numbers, different prices, but are completely interchangeable.

Looks like the 02-up Angle Sensor is used on a LOT of Hondas.  If you look here, you'll see all the different models that use that part number (bottom right, "related fitment")

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/38800-HR3-A21?ref=3d89781c37fec4bfcda4381010b1f450085f6c7b

I believe if you download the factory service manual at the top of the forum and look at page 21-26, the troubleshooting/ohm readings for the angle sensors are not broken down by year model, which would lead one to believe they are interchangeable.

Don't know if anyone here has both a pre 2002 and an 02-04 450.

On 9/22/2022 at 12:00 AM, outdoorguy34 said:

I found a service bulletin (SL #74, March 2014) on the improved sensor, but it looks like it's written for models 2002 and newer with no mention that it can be used on older generation quads.

Thanks,

Hi All,

It Works!....so far.  So...as of today's date ......I've installed the new generation (assuming its a "hall effect" style) angle sensor.....P/N 38800-HR3-A21....on my old 2000 TRX450ES ....and it works fine.  I took it out for a 1 hour burn with no issues shifting up and down through 5 gears, Neutral, and reverse....and the price was right...$35 CDN.  I would say then, that it is backwards compatible (the new technology).  No retrofit required.  Straight across, no fuss replacement, plug and play.  Make sure you install the O-Ring to keep water out.  Hope this helps someone else!

Next on the PM list is "Retro's" ES system procedure.  I'll post again after i do the PM on the ES system.

Thanks y'all....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 11:34 PM, outdoorguy34 said:

Hi All,

It Works!....so far.  So...as of today's date ......I've installed the new generation (assuming its a "hall effect" style) angle sensor.....P/N 38800-HR3-A21....on my old 2000 TRX450ES ....and it works fine.  I took it out for a 1 hour burn with no issues shifting up and down through 5 gears, Neutral, and reverse....and the price was right...$35 CDN.  I would say then, that it is backwards compatible (the new technology).  No retrofit required.  Straight across, no fuss replacement, plug and play.  Make sure you install the O-Ring to keep water out.  Hope this helps someone else!

Next on the PM list is "Retro's" ES system procedure.  I'll post again after i do the PM on the ES system.

Thanks y'all....

good to know!  Thank you for posting that!

Glad to hear that it worked out for you!

I remember there being a bulletin for the new angle sensor being backwards compatible put out by Honda..I think?

I believe one of the moderators posted it a while back in a section where it had to do with testing the old and new sensors but I can’t quite remember

I will look again and see if I can find it so we can post it here

If anybody else remembers seeing it, just let me know

Melatv, thanks so much for that!

I knew I saw it somewhere, but darn if I could remember where… lol

I also have yet to have one of the new style angle sensors go bad, they seem to be built a lot more durable / reliable construction

Edited by AKATV

On 10/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, AKATV said:

Melatv, thanks so much for that!

I knew I saw it somewhere, but darn if I could remember where… lol

I also have yet to have one of the new style angle sensors go bad, they seem to be built a lot more durable / reliable construction

So @AKATV have you also tried and used the newer angle sensor on the 98-01 450ES models?  Think I have one going, gotta test it, but their price is alot cheaper.......

I have and they work just fine

I don’t know why the bulletin doesn’t include the 98- 2001 450 ES?

I think maybe it’s just a typo

They use the same angle sensor as the 2000-06 Rancher 350ES and the 2002-04  450 ES

outdoorguy34 above says he’s also just replaced his on a 2000 450ES and it worked great as well

• Thanks 1