catphe10

86 TRX125 No Spark In Nuetral

Just wanted to say thank you to you all for the help, I may have a line on the reverse switch should know in the next day or two.

Also wanted to add that i found a place that has a good deal off used parts online that I did not know about.

https://www.powersportsnation.com

I have not purchased anything from them but will definitely check them out if i need anything in the future.

3 hours ago, catphe10 said:

Just wanted to say thank you to you all for the help, I may have a line on the reverse switch should know in the next day or two.

Also wanted to add that i found a place that has a good deal off used parts online that I did not know about.

https://www.powersportsnation.com

I have not purchased anything from them but will definitely check them out if i need anything in the future.

They're good people, stand behind what they sell.  I was going to post that they're parting out an 86 according to their weekly email I got this morning.  Hopefully they'll have what you need!

Good morning all, so have a update and another problem.

I was able to find a reverse switch! And it actually works.

But

The switch only has a small oring that is supposed to seal the hole in the sub-trans. But the hole in the sub-trans is to big and is threaded not smooth for an oring. So question is, is it the correct switch or do I have a different model year sub-trans cover?

Any thoughts?

okay thanks very helpful retro had mentioned this 

Yup, the reverse switch is located on the sub-transmission cover under a retainer bolt & bracket.

and you had mentioned this was plugged was a brass plug ? i could be wrong, but i don't think that hole should be threaded ?? do you have a part number for the switch you located ? this is the best pic i could locate, it shows the retaining clip, which looks to be missing in your pics. 

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/p/honda/35754-vm6-000/cap-reverse-contact

image.jpg

6 hours ago, catphe10 said:

The switch only has a small oring that is supposed to seal the hole in the sub-trans. But the hole in the sub-trans is to big and is threaded not smooth for an oring. So question is, is it the correct switch or do I have a different model year sub-trans cover?

Good news ya found a working reverse switch!

That is the correct reverse switch you have found and your sub-trans cover is the correct part for a '86 TRX125 too. On '87 model TRX125s Honda changed the left cover and integrated the neutral & reverse switch functions into one change switch (which was moved from the sub trans cover to the left cover). You can see those changes here on the parts fiche:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1987/trx125-a-fourtrax-125/left-crankcase-cover

Someone have threaded the reverse switch hole with a tapered thread pipe tap. So you'll have to find a used sub trans cover that includes the reverse switch retaining clamp and the bolt in order to install your reverse switch. I saw a few of those covers on eBay relatively cheap the other day when I was emailing sellers. 🙂

@_Wilson_

I have it all back together and running. the only thing not back to original is the reveres switch. I just left the brass plug in it.

My next project is an '89 350D.

• Like 2

thanks for the update, sometimes best to go with what works, at least you can use her now. 

looking forward to your next build.