I am wondering what diy modifications people have done to or are still doing to their Hondas. Lights, racks, bumpers, storage, wheels from this for that, lifts, something for a different machine you fit on yours, thing of that nature. Any Honda is fine, I have a 2000 Foreman 450 ES and so far replaced the front lights with the led lights that go in truck bumpers. 20201105_180852.jpg20201105_180833.jpg

• Like 2

good thread! 424 kickout on a 2000 300, I've got a lift kit install planned when warmer weather gets here plasti-dip (bright aluminum)  wheels, ram mount steering stem headlight /spotlight which is removable, magnetic dimple crankcase plug, i added a hondaline cooling (not standard on 300's made in the states) , cmp front bumper, brake light install, honda 300 bark busters (hand gaurds) speedo kit, and  other mods.... I'm sure i over looked. and the project keeps going! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Oh my, wait'll you see some of the mods that @Fishfiles, @jeepwm69, @Mac102004and a few others have done! 🙂

My mods are pretty tame compared to most others. My '00 350 Rancher ES is mostly stock. I have Jeeps start in any gear mod, his Rancher 400AT 2x4x4 selectable front diff swap, @wheelsquad & I's programmable fan control gizmo and I'm working on a 420 Rancher front disc brakes swap this winter.

• Like 5

it made all the defrence on mine when i installed it! less ware on the front end, just out right more fun to ride, fish has to be the king at mods, lol. 

• Like 3

@retro what do you get out of the programmable fan gizmo? I enjoy doing diy mods to things I own. When I was tuning VWs I was one of the firsts to use a heineken mini keg for an intake

Edited by Jemmons467
  • Like 1

The FCU gizmo reliably controls the cooling fan on any air-cooled Honda ATV. This is our current gizmo thread here:

I have only gotten partially through this last build cause I became too busy to complete it, but I am restarting this project from scratch in a few days. I found some fahrenheit modules & looking forward to get back at it!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, retro said:

The FCU gizmo reliably controls the cooling fan on any air-cooled Honda ATV. This is our current gizmo thread here:

I have only gotten partially through this last build cause I became too busy to complete it, but I am restarting this project from scratch in a few days. I found some fahrenheit modules & looking forward to get back at it!

I wanted to look into a way to have the engine temp displayed. I'll dig through the post. 

50 minutes ago, Jemmons467 said:

I wanted to look into a way to have the engine temp displayed. I'll dig through the post. 

The FCU gizmo displays oil temp in realtime. If you need to monitor cylinder head temp I think you can do that too with a similar high temp module. I'll look it up...

2000 TRX450S

500 jug and custom piston 

400 head 

HMF muffler 

Dyna-Jet carb kit

snorkel 

424 kick out 

double relocated oil cooler 

double fans

extended swing arm 

6 led lights , 7 inch head light lift 

winch 

1000 w 4 speaker sound system 

wheel spacers

29.5 Outlaws 

disc conversion front and rear 

hydraulic brake conversion rear

floor boards

stick stoppers 

EBC clutch kit 

34.5% reduction 

reverse lock out by-pass

suicide hand shifter

dual batteries 

Garmin Montana quick snap mount 

drink holder 

machette holder 

receiver hitch ( not shown in this pic) 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, retro said:

The FCU gizmo displays oil temp in realtime. If you need to monitor cylinder head temp I think you can do that too with a similar high temp module. I'll look it up...

Thank you, I haven't put mush research into it yet but I do plow with it and my fan does kick on so I would like to know the temp I am running, either engine or oil. @Fishfiles thats a legit looking Foreman you've got.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jemmons467 said:

I am wondering what diy modifications people have done to or are still doing to their Hondas. Lights, racks, bumpers, storage, wheels from this for that, lifts, something for a different machine you fit on yours, thing of that nature. Any Honda is fine, I have a 2000 Foreman 450 ES and so far replaced the front lights with the led lights that go in truck bumpers. 20201105_180852.jpg20201105_180833.jpg

First thing that comes to mind is disc brakes up front

05-11 Foreman, 05-14 Rubicon, and 06-current Rincon knuckles, hubs, and rotors will bolt right on the ball joints  giving you disc brakes using factory parts.

• Like 2

If anyone has a long driveway or road and has to take your garbage cans to the end of it you need this. 20210113_113556.jpg

• Like 3

Nice thread! Gives us newbies something to see and get inspired by!

Edited by freebo86
  • Like 3

Jemmons 467 , you take that garbage can hitch to the next level , and you can switch to a drop down or raise up trailer hitch or hook with the pull of a pin , weld a 1 1/4 inch receiver tube to the tongue of the hitch 

IMG_8221.JPG

• Like 2

The pics and linked thread is a shackle mount I made for giving an easy place on the front to hook to when using a snatch block, etc.:

shackle mount painted.jpeg

winch and shackle mount2.jpeg

• Like 1

Here are a few more DIY mods

1992 TRX300FW Southern Blue nicknamed ( Soc Ra Blue = Blue Balls ) 

86 BigRed cam , chain and sprocket 

88 exhaust pipe , High Performance muffler 

ported head , Wiseco 10.5/1 piston 

EBC clutch kit , 54% reduction

Warn 424 1st gen  kick out 

SuperATV disc brake conversion front , 250 Fourtrax master cylinder 

wheel spacers , 2" rear 1" front 

stick stoppers 

2 cone shims added to front diff for traction 

hub paddles and longer wheel studs

aluminum slots , 27 Outlaws 

floor boards , snorkeled 

5 led lights = two rear , two front , one bar 

hand and foot shifter ( after video ) 

3 inch swing arm stretch , rear brake delete rear 

420 1st gen front shocks , 2 inch lift rear 

reverse lock out by-pass 

250 Fourtrax front brake lever with adjustable cable end

K+N air filter 

front and rear diff , transfer case all drilled , tap and run grease 

oil cooler in stock/option location 

1000 watt 4 speaker sound , custom speaker mounts , water proof amp box 

Imitation Yeti with stainless turn bucket hold downs 

drink holder 

Super Winch , KFI solenoid 

dry box , machette holder 

Garmin GPS mount 

rear view mirror to monitor  tail gaters LOL 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, slowindown said:

The pics and linked thread is a shackle mount I made for giving an easy place on the front to hook to when using a snatch block, etc.:

winch and shackle mount2.jpeg

How do you keep that front skid plate (aluminum) so straight and not mangled? Mine looks like !.

6 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

How do you keep that front skid plate (aluminum) so straight and not mangled? Mine looks like !.

Actually, its plastic on the 05+ foremans.  I try not to bash stuff with it and that machine only has maybe 800 miles on it.  The one on my 02 rancher (steel), otoh, I took off and beat the dents out many times.

Edited by slowindown
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Actually, its plastic on the 05+ foremans.  I try not to bash stuff with it and that machine only has maybe 800 miles on it.  The one on my 02 rancher (steel), otoh, I took off and beat the dents out many times.

perhaps something of stronger built is needed. I’m sure someone is gonna chime in with theirs that’s made out of 1/2” steel 🙂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, freebo86 said:

with those aluminum plates, that's almost impossible to keep them from getting bashed up. i knew it was a mistake when they came out with those. a half inch  steal plate would sure hold up, freebo, lol! if you looking for a perm deal, the yep a 1/8 inch steal plate bolted on, you could  even dress up with stainless steal, aluminum checker plate. kind of like fish did here, credit for the pic goes to @Fishfiles

image.jpg

• Like 1

What does everyone like to use for rear storage? I was thinking about buying a heavy duty storage tote like the Plano Sportsman tote.

i use military ammo boxes myself ... but mostly all i carry is chainsaw files spare chains, a few hand tools etc, just for cutting wood. what were planning on hauling ? longer items i just strap to the rack. never was a fan of having too much weight on the rear rack. 

I have a slim black plastic storage box that was designed for a front rack. This year I may remove it & see If I can get a back seat for my wife..

I love ammo boxes, one on each side with a cooler in middle. I've seen that lots!

• Like 2

On January 13, 2021 at 2:24 PM, freebo86 said:

going back a tad on the tread,  here's kind of the same setup i did (older pic) as fish had, as a matter of fact, fishs mod is where i got this idea from, but after i stalled the cmp bumper (changed the high due to the lights) i took the plate off the project 300, might add it to the 97. 

image.jpg

• Like 2