AKATV

Foreman 450 kill switch button removal?

I wanted to give a shout out to all and see if anyone has a trick to removing the red kill switch button

I need to swap one out and tried for a minute or two to pry under it while poking/prying up in the small hole in bottom of button

I seemed to think it just snapped on the switch stub over a small plastic bump that slips into a hole in button

Felt like I was going to break it, so l left it for the time being

• Like 2

@retro did a post on how to get those off, sure he will chime in soon, but yes that hole under the switch,and your right they just snap into place, and very  aggravating to get off, might i ask where you lucked up a new to you button ? I've been looking for a new one for a while, and had no luck. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

There is a slot under the red plastic kill button where it snaps onto the switch. Ya gotta probe in that slot with a pick or a narrow blade and release a tiny retainer inside the button then the button will pop off.

EDIT: Hang on, I'll see if I can find one that I can show ya.

Alright here is a 450 kill switch that I just took apart. The kill switch knob has a squarish slot on the underside of the knob to access the knob retainer tab. There is a retainer tab on the square plastic switch post that ya gotta depress with a narrow blade by pushing that tab down hard... while ya stab another narrow blade in behind the center of the knob to pop the knob off the switch post. Notice in this pic I have smashed that retainer tab (see the orange arrow) pretty bad in order to get the knob to slide off.

kill-sw-retainer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wilson and retro-Thanks!

I was kind of trying to do that, but wasn't sure if there was kind  of a hard plastic ramp on the stub and I needed pry the button over it

or if it was different- I will take another poke at it

I had a cracked left switch assembly parts unit that was in good shape otherwise, so I am going to swap the kill buttons out

I will keep an eye out for one for you, if you still need a button

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@retro did a post on how to get those off, sure he will chime in soon, but yes that hole under the switch,and your right they just snap into place, and very  aggravating to get off, might i ask where you lucked up a new to you button ? I've been looking for a new one for a while, and had no luck. 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

• Like 2

Thanks AKATV! I'm all set for parts though, that switch assembly that I just took apart is from my stash of junk. I'm only saving it because the shift switches are still good.

EDIT: Oops I didn't realize that you were talking to Wilson. 😞

@_Wilson_™, I'll go through my junk and see if I have a good button for ya.

• Like 1

thank you both! , retro that pic was just what i needed to see (saved)  i looked and looked for a video, even talked to a few .... no one ever had even thought about that switch except the joke about having in it the off position .. and trying to start the bike... lol. 

• Like 1

I just looked through my stash and found no more kill switch buttons @_Wilson_™. So all I have is that one in the pic above and it is faded pank by the sun. Sorry that I couldn't help ya.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, retro said:

I just looked through my stash and found no more kill switch buttons @_Wilson_™. So all I have is that one in the pic above and it is faded pank by the sun. Sorry that I couldn't help ya.

thats okay retro, thank for looking. i appreciate it very much! i masked and painted mine, so i can live with, i never use it anyway, lol. 

• Like 1